Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2020, 04:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Washington
THOR #21460
Angry Freedom Elite 23H water leaking under dinette bench

We recently purchased a Class C, 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 23H (no slideouts) It had less than 10k miles on it and we were super excited about it! Our first night after driving it off the lot we noticed water running down the floor coming from underneath the bench on the left. We were livid. We stopped somewhere and they replaced the water pump which apparently was also not functioning properly and we thought we were in the clear. UNTIL today, it started leaking in the exact same spot again. It seems that this is only happening on days that it is raining since the day we bought it had been pouring rain and today it has been raining all day but no rain in between those 2 instances. Anyone else have this issue and know what it could be? A roof leak trickling down the side wall and flowing under the bench? Something else under the bench leaking? Water coming up from the bottom of the RV somewhere? Its going to be raining for the unforeseeable future here in WA so wed like to get it taken care of ASAP to prevent further damage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 12-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Water does not run up hill. Get on your hands and knees with a flashlight and a roll of paper towels see where the water is coming from.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Firdt: Welcome to our campfire!
Cavie is right: this is going to require some effort on your part. If it's only happening during rainy periods: start with a serious inspections of the roof.
Good luck, and please let us know what you find.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Two questions:
1. Does it only happen while driving? or also when parked?
2. Is the Dinette positioned over a wheel well?
Old 12-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

THOR #21460
RVhopeful, yes it appears it is happening while driving and once we are parked that is when we notice the water running down the floor coming from under the bench (flowing toward the door/steps). It is also near a wheel well. This is what I was trying to get at when I asked if it could be coming from somewhere below the RV.

To be clear, we have investigated. We've taken apart the bench area more times than I can count. We noticed the water around the pump which is why we initially thought that was causing the issue and once it was replaced it stopped (now realizing that was only because it was dry outside). I came on here to see if anyone out there had a similar experience that could provide some helpful insight so, thank you RVhopeful. I really really appreciate it.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #6

THOR #21460
Thumbs up RE: Freedom Elite 23H water leaking under dinette bench

RVhopeful, yes it appears it is only happening while driving and once we park that is when we notice that water coming out from under the bench. It is also located near the wheel well. That is what I was thinking and what I was trying to get at when I asked if it could be coming from somewhere below the RV.

To be clear, we have investigated plenty. We've been on our hands and knees pulling apart the dinette bench more times than I can count. We thought it was the water pump initially and once that was fixed it stopped happening (now realizing it was because it was dry outside). I just figured I'd come on here and ask if anyone had similar experience and could share some helpful tips so, thank you RVhopeful. I really really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3630 (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	27570  
Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Allisnk,
I have a similar issue on my 30FE; I just posted about it here a few days ago I think you can look down and find my post. My Bathroom is over the drivers side rear wheel well and there is a hole in the wheel well directly into the space under my toilet. When I drive in the rain the water fly's off the tire and floods the RV :-( . I found someone with the same year and model and it appears its a really poor design AND they forgot to seal mine with Foam like they did on the other persons. So look for a hole in the wheel well behind the tire or at night put a bright light in the dinette and go out and look for the light in the wheel well..
I hope this helps.

Larry
Old 12-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #8

THOR #21460
So incredibly helpful, thanks for all the great info and tips!
Old 12-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

THOR #21448
I had a leak in the same spot, but it was indeed the pump fittings.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #10

THOR #17212
check the window

Check the window and make sure it is completely closed. Water will run down the window frame and run down the wall and under the bench.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #11

State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
I had same problem with my 23H. Took it to dealer. Poor sealup under rig at rear driver side wheel well
Took off wheels and wheel well to get at problem. Fixed it��

No more water while driving in rain!!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #12

Model: 2019 Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oregon
THOR #15824
Check for cracks in the small plastic water pump filter

Some years ago we had similar water issues on an Itasca Class C and the problem was a barely perceptible crack in the small plastic water filter adjacent to the water pump. The evidence (flooding) only became evident when we were camping in a less than leveled position. Otherwise, the water flowed outward toward the sidewall and then out so we didn't notice it (although friends following us wondered why it appeared we were dripping water out of a storage compartment in the summer heat). I suspect the crack occurred due to freezing water that I hadn't noted and cleared during winterization. I couldn't believe how much leakage could occur from such a small little crack. Replacing the filter was super simple and minimal cost.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
Water

I have a 2018 Miramar and had water coming into the bathroom while driving I searched the roof over and over and found nothing. finally I found someone cut a access panel under the shower in the front bathroom and did not seal it, but it was located in the driver side rear wheel well, who the hell would do that. how stupid.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
I have a 2018 Miramar and had water coming into the bathroom while driving I searched the roof over and over and found nothing. finally I found someone cut a access panel under the shower in the front bathroom and did not seal it, but it was located in the driver side rear wheel well, who the hell would do that. how stupid.
tHAT IS OFTEN DONE AT THE FACTORY BUT COVERED WITH A SEALED PANEL.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #15

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Indiana
THOR #10682
Had a similar experience with my 2018 Compass. The outside top of the window behind the dinette was not sealed from the factory. Water would come in the top of the window, run around the window frame and then run down the wall inside behind the dinette and across the floor.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:57 AM   #16

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankomd View Post
Some years ago we had similar water issues on an Itasca Class C and the problem was a barely perceptible crack in the small plastic water filter adjacent to the water pump. The evidence (flooding) only became evident when we were camping in a less than leveled position. Otherwise, the water flowed outward toward the sidewall and then out so we didn't notice it (although friends following us wondered why it appeared we were dripping water out of a storage compartment in the summer heat). I suspect the crack occurred due to freezing water that I hadn't noted and cleared during winterization. I couldn't believe how much leakage could occur from such a small little crack. Replacing the filter was super simple and minimal cost.
Had the same issue on the plastic filter (strainer), I couldn't see the crack or see a leak when I looked. I Wrapped a small dry towel around it and checked it a few hours later and the towel was soaked. This was after I resealed the driver side rear wheel well.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:30 PM   #17

THOR #30476
Water under dinette when driving in rain Freedom Elite 23h

Hi all. For the 2nd time while driving in rain, I've had water pooling on the house floor. It seems to be coming from the floor right under the bench seat near fridge. I climbed under and found this area-- could it be from here? It looks like there was some spray "foam" around one area, with little to none around the other two. Thoughts? What foam should I try, if you think this could be the issue? I see many with my make/model have this issue. So frustrating to be almost forced to only drive on sunny days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230808_182143.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	43090  
Old 08-08-2023, 11:53 PM   #18

State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
Had the same problem with my 23H. Camping World Lakewood NJ resolved the issue immediately. Water was being forced into the dinette area from the water kicked up by the dually tires. They removed the wheels and resealed where the wheel well met the coach. No problems since

Tags
class c, freedom elite 23h, leak, leak in heavy rain, water leaks