Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano FB
State: Indiana
THOR #24977
Angry Fresh Water Tank New 2022 Thor Delano

I just recently purchased a new 2022 Thor Delano FB. I have had in about 3 weeks keeping on my driveway running through various simulation for camping before taking it out on the road.
I have a 35 Gallon Fresh water tank. When either filling my fresh water tank in either the "City Water or Sanitize" access, when my tank gets 12 gallons or 33%, I notice running water coming from my passenger side above my back wheel. This also happens when I am hooked up to city water, but the running water is a slow drip. It's difficult to see where it is actually coming from, but seems to be a blue line above some cables.

Any Advise?

JRH

Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It may be the overflow - how do you know you're at 1/3? The sensor reading may be faulty.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #3

THOR #24977
Yes I know these sensors can give false readings, so I bought a water flow meter to help understand how much water is going through my hose into the fresh water tank. Also, I an see the tank and get some sense of how much water is in it. I know it not full and over flowing.

JRH
Old 09-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
have to ask the obvious, is the unit level? i was wondering if your nose down or rear down and the overflow is now lower than normal

and then if it does it on city water and pump is off....you have a leak in a pressure line near the same area, leaking pressure line is an easy probability .imo

you may have to do some wiggling in the spot and see whats in there
Old 09-28-2021, 10:04 PM   #5
tpr

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4118
I have a 2020 Tiburon FB. The overflow for the fresh water tank is on the driver side in the compartment just aft of the propane tank, it has a big flip handle. Iif your leaking passenger side by back wheel it might be a low point valve. You can find it by taking out the drawers and the panel under the fridge. just follow the plumbing and make sure the valve is closed tight. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

THOR #24977
Thanks. I made sure the main fresh water release valve behind the LP tank was closed. I pulled the drawers out to follow the blue lines and saw no valve or leaks. Unfortunately, I cannot get the fridge panel removed because that is where the heater sits. I purchased my Delano from Lazydayrv in Elkhart and waiting a call from their service department.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We had all sorts of loose water lines in our hurricane. I would check the line coming off the tank going to your water pump and the one leaving the water pump.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #8
tpr

THOR #4118
Haagjames That panel under the fridge does come off unless they changed it for 2022 It has two plastic latches that hold it in place. The tech at my dealer lets me sit inside while he works and he had showed me how to do it. Pipes and wiring along the floor. Give it a tug if you feel brave. Always fun to poke around.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:25 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagjames View Post
I just recently purchased a new 2022 Thor Delano FB. I have had in about 3 weeks keeping on my driveway running through various simulation for camping before taking it out on the road.
I have a 35 Gallon Fresh water tank. When either filling my fresh water tank in either the "City Water or Sanitize" access, when my tank gets 12 gallons or 33%, I notice running water coming from my passenger side above my back wheel. This also happens when I am hooked up to city water, but the running water is a slow drip. It's difficult to see where it is actually coming from, but seems to be a blue line above some cables.

Any Advise?

JRH
Just curious has it ever been full before? (based on your gauges?)

In most cases during PDI the water tank is filled is why I ask.

Since you can see the tank, can you confirm no leaks at the tanks fitting for inbound, outbound? I assume you can see overflow but since tank is not full it should be ruled out.

What happens if you allow it to continue to run, will it fill up beyond the 12 gallons? You say it is slow leak but if fill pressure is 40 psi or more it should fill.

When you talk with Dealer or Thor be sure to have them show you how to get your plumbing diagram, you will find that leak in no time. My money says it is a Pex hose line running to your closes sink near the rear passenger tire.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #10

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagjames View Post

Any Advise?

JRH
Make sure the connections between the tank and pump are tight.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:03 PM   #11

THOR #22924
We had the same problem with our 2020 Thor Delano. You will also lose water driving up hills/mountains as the overflow tube is near the top of the tank on the side. There is no check valve and according to calls with both Thor and the dealer, no fix for it.

This overflow allows water and air to flow out when you're full and air to get in as your pump pulls water from the tank. I built a system that has two separate check valves; one set at a very low PSI for the outbound overflow and a low PSI for incoming air to eliminate a vacuum for the water pump.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #12

THOR #27725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickszat@gmail.com View Post
We had the same problem with our 2020 Thor Delano. You will also lose water driving up hills/mountains as the overflow tube is near the top of the tank on the side. There is no check valve and according to calls with both Thor and the dealer, no fix for it.

This overflow allows water and air to flow out when you're full and air to get in as your pump pulls water from the tank. I built a system that has two separate check valves; one set at a very low PSI for the outbound overflow and a low PSI for incoming air to eliminate a vacuum for the water pump.
I noticed this same issue the first time we used our 22 Tiburon FB. I filled up the tank fully on level ground and then lost about half just driving down the road from the overflow. I had planned to replumb the vent to raise it above the tank and move it to the other side so it wouldn't flow out from level changes, just when filling the tank, but I like check valve idea. Do you have any info on the parts you used and your experience after install?
Old 09-04-2022, 10:18 PM   #13
tpr

THOR #4118
Fresh water tank

Thanks for your input. I don't have the talent to pull a wrench without getting injured in some way so I have to rely on my dealer. My problem was the fresh water tank never emptied completely as the fitting going from the tank to the drain pipe sticks up about three quarters of an inch into the tank leaving residual water there to fester. My dealer got new brackets to tilt the tank towards to drain valve. The tank level reads almost empty when drained so I guess it's better than it was. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:22 PM   #14

THOR #27725
Thanks for the info, different issue than mine so another area to check for correct assembly.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #15

THOR #22924
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabein View Post
I noticed this same issue the first time we used our 22 Tiburon FB. I filled up the tank fully on level ground and then lost about half just driving down the road from the overflow. I had planned to replumb the vent to raise it above the tank and move it to the other side so it wouldn't flow out from level changes, just when filling the tank, but I like check valve idea. Do you have any info on the parts you used and your experience after install?
I tried a few approaches. In the photos (link), the 1st solution I tried included a
CASH ACME Vacuum Relief Valve: Brass, NPT, Vented, 1/2 in Inlet Size, 1/2 in Outlet Size to allow air into the line for pumping from the tank (1-way valve) and an AQUATROL Adjustable Relief Valve: Bronze, MNPT, FNPT, 1/4 in Inlet Size, 1/2 in Outlet Size to provide minimal backpressure to keep the water from flowing out during driving/uneven roads, etc., yet provide pressure relief during filling. I couldn't get the Aquatrol valve to open at a low enough pressure even though I had removed the spring and made it near-zero force (or so I thought). (both purchased at Grainger)

I revised me solution and created a pipe lattice that lays on top of the water tank, removed the Aquatrol valve, and retained the CASH ACME Vacuum Relief Valve. Since there is no vertical room to create a "high-point" in the overflow pipe, the pipe lattice acts as that as the far end of the pipes will be above/higher than the outflow coupling on the tank during hill/mountain climbing and on uneven terrain where the back-end is lower.

The CASH ACME Vacuum Relief Valve helps stop the siphoning effect that occurs when a liquid starts flowing from a tube (think about siphoning gas from a car for your lawnmower). Once the flow starts, gravity continues to pull the liquid, creating a vacuum in the column. The Vacuum Relief Valve provides an air "input" to help stop this siphoning effect.

The new system seems to work. I filled the tank while the motorhome was level and the overflow worked as expected and the flow stopped. Subsequently, I drove the motorhome for about 20 miles up and down hills, parking back on the driveway with the rear significantly lower than the front. No water loss so far, so I think this is the solution.

BTW, when I took it to the dealer, they put a toilet anti-siphon valve on the overflow - wrong thing to do! I fille the tank and was watching for the overflow drain to tell me that the tank was full. Instead, the tank over pressurized, warping the tank (bulge in the motorhome floor), bending the support brackets, and creating leaks in both main compartments. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z2YE8Ne8aVfJ3f7DA
Old 03-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #16

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #27275
I also have a 2022 Tiburon FB. Does the “city water” hookup fill the fresh water tank or do I hook the hose up to the “winterize sanitize” connection to fill up the fresh water tank? I ask Thor where the low point drains were located and they sent me a diagram showing the low point drains being the wet bay shower valves. Is this true. Do you all run out of hot water while showering? Is there a trick to showering and not run out of hot water?
Old 03-21-2023, 08:37 PM   #17

THOR #27725
I finally solved the water tank drain issue by extending the drain hose rearward and now the vent drains near the water fill area which is also very convenient.

The tank is filled by adjusting the green levers per the visual diagram under the fill connections. I haven’t yet used the “winterize” features since my unit has been in Florida but it will be moving north next week so can check the low point valves out.

I found a trick to keep the water heater from turning off while showering is to simply set the water heater temp to the desired temp and run only the hot water valve in the shower to keep the flow above the switch limit. This way I have never had the heater turn off during a shower.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #18

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #27275
Thanks for the information. We are traveling the end of April. Nevada to Florida and up to Illinois and Iowa. Will be gone a couple months. Do you pull a toad? I plan on a Prius on our tow dolly. Do you run 61 psi in front tires and 58 psi in rear? Since I’m going to be close to my weight limit I was thinking maybe 61 psi all around.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:14 AM   #19

THOR #27725
Sounds like a great trip while the weather is still less than ideal up north.

I have only towed a small enclosed trailer so far at no more than 1000lbs and I literally can’t see or feel it, good to have the rear view camera for a quick check. I usually run 60 psi all around and it still rides fine.