Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2023, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #22385
Front cap leaks

Am I the only one having front cap issues with fourwinds 21 28z ?

Old 01-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Don’t mean to be disheartening, but virtually all class C motor homes have front cap water issues sooner or later - unless the owner is VERY diligent about checking and resealing seams and penetrations every few months. It’s just a large, poorly supported complex structure and it moves around some while driving. The good(ish) news is that most leaks are pretty easy to find and fix. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #3

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Don’t mean to be disheartening, but virtually all class C motor homes have front cap water issues sooner or later - unless the owner is VERY diligent about checking and resealing seams and penetrations every few months. It’s just a large, poorly supported complex structure and it moves around some while driving. The good(ish) news is that most leaks are pretty easy to find and fix. Good luck.
Still looking
Old 01-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullyd59 View Post
Read a lot about the Super C cap issues but nothing that I recall on a 28z

What year 28z and what issues are you having?
Old 01-27-2023, 01:36 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
From the OP's first post...
Old 01-27-2023, 03:59 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've had three class c's and only one had a leak. The one that did leak was a simple fix of resealing the marker lights.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:07 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
There are some common areas that leak on a class c. Marker lights, windows or seam. That’s where I would start check the sealant
Old 01-27-2023, 01:40 PM   #8

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea37ts View Post
read a lot about the super c cap issues but nothing that i recall on a 28z

what year 28z and what issues are you having?
Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We had our class C for 3 years and never had a front cap leak. I did check and reseal it every year during my annual roof check. I plan on doing the same thing with our Class A.

Paul
Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #10

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I've had three class c's and only one had a leak. The one that did leak was a simple fix of resealing the marker lights.
My marker lights are small pressed in style 5/8 or 3/4 rubber is in new condition.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:47 PM   #11

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
There are some common areas that leak on a class c. Marker lights, windows or seam. That’s where I would start check the sealant
Going back to shop hoping they remove and reseal window with dicor kit .
Old 01-27-2023, 06:36 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The night before we traded the Super C (this past Monday) while doing last minute cleaning I found water stains along the inside cab headliner over the passenger seat just forward of the side airbag. It had been leaking somewhere and I never knew it. We loved that coach but I am so glad to have it behind us. That huge cap was always the elephant in the room as it bounced up and down going down the road. BTW...the dealer never even stepped inside the unit when we got there. She said..."just park it over there until we finish with your new one...you can move your stuff over then". They never checked or looked at ANYTHING on my trade!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #13

THOR #6433
Quote:
Going back to shop hoping they remove and reseal window with dicor kit .
We had a massive leak after we bought ours new and took several trips to get it taken care of. Make sure to look in that area for mold as well. That was the clue we had a problem. Eventually just got the whole roof resealed and then I went and put eternabond over all the Dicor.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #14

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The night before we traded the Super C (this past Monday) while doing last minute cleaning I found water stains along the inside cab headliner over the passenger seat just forward of the side airbag. It had been leaking somewhere and I never knew it. We loved that coach but I am so glad to have it behind us. That huge cap was always the elephant in the room as it bounced up and down going down the road. BTW...the dealer never even stepped inside the unit when we got there. She said..."just park it over there until we finish with your new one...you can move your stuff over then". The never checked or looked at ANYTHING on my trade!
Ha they probably already have your unit sold so they don’t care going to flip it so fast. And unfortunately the next buyer probably won’t notice.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Ha they probably already have your unit sold so they don’t care going to flip it so fast. And unfortunately the next buyer probably won’t notice.
I am an honest person so that impacts how I can sell or trade a vehicle I have. When I have a defective vehicle it's easier for me mentally to trade to a dealer. Why?? A dealer often is very knowledgeable of quirks and deficiencies of certain vehicles so when they take a trade, they know what the are getting. An individual is usually relying on the "honesty" of the seller to disclose defects and I can't in good conscience represent a POS as a slice of heaven when getting rid of a POS.

When I dumped the omni the accepting dealer sold thor stuff, was very familiar with thor issues, and took it anyway. That said, I did tell them some of the reasons I was upgrading to the Renegade, but they knew anyway. Did that affect my trade value, I don't think so but to tell a private individual what the issues were would have killed any deal?

The dealer did sell the omni to someone who contacted me afterwards. I had given the dealer permission to do that. The new owner gleefully asked me question about it and I gave them my honest opinion and specific issues. I also suggested he join this forum for further info. Whether they did I don't know but in getting information about thor omni quality, he was late to the party. Sadly his gleeful tone declined as the conversation went on.

Especially with RVs, it truly is buyer beware, new and especially used.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #16

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I am an honest person so that impacts how I can sell or trade a vehicle I have. When I have a defective vehicle it's easier for me mentally to trade to a dealer. Why?? A dealer often is very knowledgeable of quirks and deficiencies of certain vehicles so when they take a trade, they know what the are getting. An individual is usually relying on the "honesty" of the seller to disclose defects and I can't in good conscience represent a POS as a slice of heaven when getting rid of a POS.

When I dumped the omni the accepting dealer sold thor stuff, was very familiar with thor issues, and took it anyway. That said, I did tell them some of the reasons I was upgrading to the Renegade, but they knew anyway. Did that affect my trade value, I don't think so but to tell a private individual what the issues were would have killed any deal?

The dealer did sell the omni to someone who contacted me afterwards. I had given the dealer permission to do that. The new owner gleefully asked me question about it and I gave them my honest opinion and specific issues. I also suggested he join this forum for further info. Whether they did I don't know but in getting information about thor omni quality, he was late to the party. Sadly his gleeful tone declined as the conversation went on.

Especially with RVs, it truly is buyer beware, new and especially used.
That’s awesome that you gave your permission to contact to you. You would hope that the dealers if they knew a problem existed would actually address the issue so the next buyer doesn’t have to I am a skeptic I look at it most of the time someone got rid of it because there was a problem. I am a product of my parents that would drive cars until the wheels fell off. I think if the world had a lot more individuals like you it would be a better place.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:35 PM   #17

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
That’s awesome that you gave your permission to contact to you. You would hope that the dealers if they knew a problem existed would actually address the issue so the next buyer doesn’t have to I am a skeptic I look at it most of the time someone got rid of it because there was a problem. I am a product of my parents that would drive cars until the wheels fell off. I think if the world had a lot more individuals like you it would be a better place.
Thanks when I see virtually new vehicles for sale, RVs for the discussion, my suspicion is immediately raised. Often, maybe usually, the RV had major issues like mine and the owner dumped it. There are of course valid reasons such as realizing it's too small/big for their uses and wanting to get it right for themselves. Covid threw another wrench into it with so many people buying RVs because they were thrown into a panic by the government and their cronies, and bought an RV to "socially distance" themselves. Well reality struck and many of them don't like the lifestyle and the RV lifestyle is grossly misrepresented by the industry. That idyllic RV parked along the pristine lake shore with the 3 kids and 2 dogs running through the meadow, doesn't really exist. CW ad. Disillusionment set in but they are probably so far $$$ upside down they can't get out.

Just like a used car salesman, I don't really trust a used RV salesman either to disclose any known or potential issues and problems. I imagine the next owners of my former omni wished they had called before buying not after the fact.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:10 PM   #18

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
THOR #18658
USED RV Sales People

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks when I see virtually new vehicles for sale, RVs for the discussion, my suspicion is immediately raised. Often, maybe usually, the RV had major issues like mine and the owner dumped it. There are of course valid reasons such as realizing it's too small/big for their uses and wanting to get it right for themselves. Covid threw another wrench into it with so many people buying RVs because they were thrown into a panic by the government and their cronies, and bought an RV to "socially distance" themselves. Well reality struck and many of them don't like the lifestyle and the RV lifestyle is grossly misrepresented by the industry. That idyllic RV parked along the pristine lake shore with the 3 kids and 2 dogs running through the meadow, doesn't really exist. CW ad. Disillusionment set in but they are probably so far $$$ upside down they can't get out.

Just like a used car salesman, I don't really trust a used RV salesman either to disclose any known or potential issues and problems. I imagine the next owners of my former omni wished they had called before buying not after the fact.
Most of them don't even know what they are selling, let alone what issues the coach may have!
Old 02-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #19

Model: Z28
State: Ontario
THOR #17251
Previous Z28 Owner

We had a 2018 Z28 and the panels behind the front driver and passenger doors did not have the cap on the bottom of the panel. Water leaked in and both panels had to be replaced. We also had the cap fully removed and replaced to seal it properly at the same time.
Major work but well the cost in the long run.

John & Wanda
Old 02-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #20

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
Cap leak

I have a 2018 Fourwinds 28z. Ours had a leak just above the drivers seat. Apparently there was missing sealant on an outside seem and it was running along a seem on the bottom of the over head bunk. Had it fixed and not a problem since. Now we found a leak behind our bedroom headboard so we will be resealing all of the rear possible entries come spring before we leave for traveling. Just remember there will ALWAYS be issues when you drive a house down roads from bumping and shaking. Hopefully the issues are not overwhelming and you can enjoy your trips. Good Luck!