Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I did a move from Tucson to Tacoma years ago and got stuck with a gas uhaul truck. Got about 5 or 6 MPG with a 30 gallon? tank. As I recall I had about 110 mile and I better be pulling into a station. Horrible trip. So yes a 40g on a motorhome would be a bad idea.

Yeah, one of the reasons I havenít cared for the new smaller Class C (and B+) built on ProMaster or Transit chassis. They have around 25 gallons and at 12 MPG the range to empty is only 300 miles. Allowing for reserve, generator use, or even a strong headwind, it may require filling every 3 hours or less.

Ford added an extended 31-gallon fuel tank recently to Transit, so that will certainly help.

I like 400 miles minimum driving range, so a small E-350 Class C or B+ with 40 gallons of gasoline would be fine. Iíd prefer 55 gallons like my Class C had, but a compact SRW E-350 would be fine as long as it can achieve or exceed 12 MPG.

Agree it is range more than tank size itself that concerns me most.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yeah, one of the reasons I havenít cared for the new smaller Class C (and B+) built on ProMaster or Transit chassis. They have around 25 gallons and at 12 MPG the range to empty is only 300 miles. Allowing for reserve, generator use, or even a strong headwind, it may require filling every 3 hours or less.

Ford added an extended 31-gallon fuel tank recently to Transit, so that will certainly help.

I like 400 miles minimum driving range, so a small E-350 Class C or B+ with 40 gallons of gasoline would be fine. Iíd prefer 55 gallons like my Class C had, but a compact SRW E-350 would be fine as long as it can achieve or exceed 12 MPG.

Agree it is range more than tank size itself that concerns me most.
My Ram 3500 had a 50g OEM tank and I added a 51g aux tank/tool box. That was some range even when towing the 5th wheel getting around 10mpg. I could cross Texas without stopping if I wanted to. Didn't cause TX prices better. With the Omni range it's nice to have flexibility where and when to fuel.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I did a move from Tucson to Tacoma years ago and got stuck with a gas uhaul truck. Got about 5 or 6 MPG with a 30 gallon? tank. As I recall I had about 110 mile and I better be pulling into a station. Horrible trip. So yes a 40g on a motorhome would be a bad idea.
Before the class C motorhome (55 gallon tank ), we pulled a Grand Design 2150RB with my 2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with a 26 gallon fuel tank.

On a trip west on I-80 somewhere between Iowa and Nebraska I was driving into a constant unrelenting headwind. All I remember is at 8mpg I could literally see the gas gauge moving. As soon as we left a gas stop we were looking for the next one! Miserable feeling...
Old 12-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #24

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
Your tank is 55 gallons. See your specs here. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...n-29fe-tr30886
Old 12-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #25

Model: HURRICANE 35C
State: Florida
THOR #16807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
First I would like to thank everyone for thereíre assistance, I now know without a doubt that it is a 55 gallon size tank.
You shouldn't worry so much about the size of the tank.

Doesn't matter if it's a 35, 45, or a 55 gallon, when it gets between 1/4 and 1/2, look for a gas station.

Safe Travels and Have Fun.