Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
RV Mattress

Are toppers worth the money or should we bite the bullet and spend the extra for a good mattress. All information would be greatly appreciated. We are planning longer trips and would like to be more comfortable. We have a 2017 35SK FourWinds Super C we bought new and the original cheap Denver mattress.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We added a topper, nd it has made a World of difference!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It depends on what you're trying to "cure" with the topper.

It's very difficult for a topper to fix the soft "sleeping in a ditch" issue, but much easier for a topper to fix the hard "sleeping on a board" issue.

Our Denver mattress was replaced due to the "sleeping in a ditch" issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It depends on what you're trying to "cure" with the topper.

It's very difficult for a topper to fix the soft "sleeping in a ditch" issue, but much easier for a topper to fix the hard "sleeping on a board" issue.

Our Denver mattress was replaced due to the "sleeping in a ditch" issue.
I agree... We have a Denver mattress in our Miramar and love it. Choice of mattress is so subjective.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
With my back and hip issues, we bought a sleep number AND placed a 2" topper on it before my back was having anything to do with the RV bed. But a good topper sure won't hurt as a first step.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Everyone's sleeping preferences are NOT the same. Some prefer a firm mattress, others soft. Some prefer to have their head elevated, others not. Some prefer it warm... other like it cool.

Just like everything else in your motorhome, this is something that's very specific to YOU... you have to make it what suits you.

We happen to have a memory foam topper on our mattress at home. We have an adjustable frame, so we slightly tilt the head up, which makes it comfortable for us.

We lucked out and "inherited" a practically new memory foam topper from my brother just after we bought our MH. He didn't like it - he said it was too "hot".

I built a lightweight "wedge" which fits under the head of the mattress. It raises it slightly to exactly duplicate our home mattress setup.

It has been WONDERFUL for us. Sleeping in the motorhome is jus as comfortable as home now!

BUT - I have heard people complain that memory foam makes them hot at night. In the end, unfortunately it's likely something you'll have to try for yourself.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
All toppers are not created equal. Foam, memory foam, cooling memory foam, toppers that are laminated with different foam layers, and the list goes on. My GF bought a laminated type memory foam topper and used it to make toppers for the bunks in her bunk room 5th wheel. Made those POS pads comfortable. When we got the Omni she reordered the topper but what came didn't have a memory foam top layer. Amazon vendor switch products but unfortunately we didn't discover that until we had cut it. Very hot and uncomfortable topper and after a couple nights it went into the garbage. Several years ago I bought a laminate type cooling memory foam topper for a previous RV. Got it from Walmart and worked good. Ended up giving it to my sister to use in their View in a corner bed and they still use it. Search carefully if going to a topper because as I led off, not all are equal.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:35 PM   #8

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Agree with others that mattresses are a such a personal preference.

Our SV34 came with a Serta RV mattress that by itself was absolutely horrible.

We added a Dormeo RV short king topper and love it. Honestly, I now sleep better in the RV than I do on our "stupid" expensive top of the line Tempurpedic mattress at home...

The Dormeo RV short king topper was $460 but well worth it to us, they have a 90 day trial period with a full refund if you don't like it. https://www.dormeousa.com/
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Agree with others that mattresses are a such a personal preference.

Our SV34 came with a Serta RV mattress that by itself was absolutely horrible.

We added a Dormeo RV short king topper and love it. Honestly, I now sleep better in the RV than I do on our "stupid" expensive top of the line Tempurpedic mattress at home...

The Dormeo RV short king topper was $460 but well worth it to us, they have a 90 day trial period with a full refund if you don't like it. https://www.dormeousa.com/
Interesting because the Serta RV mattress, RV queen, we got in the Omni is pretty good at least for now. I suspect within a year say 90 nights sleeping, it will expire. Not sure what we'll do, maybe get a tempurpedic and cut to size. Cross that when it's necessary.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-07-2021, 12:08 AM   #10

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
We have been using a memory foam topper for the last 7 years to cure a hard mattress, had it in a previous motor home now this one, it works great for us.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:20 AM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Just Harvest Host on a farm every once in a while and change out the straw they use to stuff the mattress! We bought a memory foam topper and it works wonders.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:46 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 31WV
State: West Virginia
THOR #20945
We like our Lucid Mattress

We bought a LUCID Comfort Collection 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress in RV Queen for about $188 at Overstock(dot)com and we love it!
Old 12-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #13

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
We have a Tempurpedic queen sized topper on our RV queen sized bed. We like our heads to be slightly elevated so we roll the topper on the head size and put the sheet over it to keep it in place. Best of both worlds! We sleep better in the RV than we do our house. But I think that has more to do with the destinations than the mattress
Old 12-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
Toppers work great. We found no need to buy another mattress.
Just make sure you get one that can be cut if you have a short queen/king size. Most can if they are just foam or memory foam without some fancy cover.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #15

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Toppers work great. We found no need to buy another mattress.
Just make sure you get one that can be cut if you have a short queen/king size. Most can if they are just foam or memory foam without some fancy cover.
A topper can work good but you have to have some support under it. Sadly many RV mattress don't have that and collapse into a weak pad. The mattress in the Omni is holding up well so far. We tried a pad but it was a disaster because it was just foam, not a cooling memory foam type, and besides lack of comfort, very heat holding.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #16

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
To replaced the crushed piece of 5" foam with ditches on each side that Thor has the temerity to call a mattress, we finally broke down and ordered something back in May. We wound up going with a 72x75x8" in the Chill model from Brooklyn Bedding which fit perfect in our rig. They call it a short king. I think the original was something like 70x74, but after looking at things, it was clear we could go a couple inches larger in both dimensions without any issues. My wife likes softer mattresses and even though the 8" is supposedly "medium-firm", she says it's orders of magnitudes better than the original mattress and just about right.

Apparently they started branching into the RV market this year and have many common RV sizes listed on their site.

I'd say comfort compares pretty well with the Casper we purchased for the house a few years back, for maybe 1/3 the cost. I did confirm with them that it wasn't going to be a problem that it would live most of its life bent at a 45 degree angle due to the bed lift.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:27 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Are toppers worth the money or should we bite the bullet and spend the extra for a good mattress. All information would be greatly appreciated. We are planning longer trips and would like to be more comfortable. We have a 2017 35SK FourWinds Super C we bought new and the original cheap Denver mattress.
We have lived with a Zinus 4 inch, three layer, short queen topper for two years. The gel infused layer helps with cooling. It is not a perfect solution, but it is so much better than the original 5" hybrid mattress.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 30.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12107
Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Bite the bullet and get the Sleep Number. Yes, they do make them for RV's.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #19

Model: AXIS 25.2
THOR #6051
Bought the MyPillow mattress topper. It made a world of difference.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'Only marry redheads'
Is about as good of advice as
'I bought this topper and love it'.

Even if we knew you were
5'1" and 250lbs
Or
6'6" and 250lbs

A circus acrobat
or
an invalid

It's personal preference only.

My silly(but very dear to us)sister-in-law is about $6,000 deep into 20+- failed topper choices.
We've been cutting them into pillows and packing for years.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote