Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Furnace issue

My furnace does a 2-3 second cycle and doesn’t kick on. Last night it took 40 minutes of this cycling and finally started working. I went out and listens at the furnace vent/exhaust and I hear the igniter click then heat comes from the vent . It goes off and tries again in about 30 seconds.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
does the stove gas go on?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Agree with above. Light stovetop. Sometimes air must be bled out. Especially if you haven’t used it in a while. Same thing can occur with hot water.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
My furnace does a 2-3 second cycle and doesn’t kick on. Last night it took 40 minutes of this cycling and finally started working. I went out and listens at the furnace vent/exhaust and I hear the igniter click then heat comes from the vent . It goes off and tries again in about 30 seconds.
Most of us are reluctant to trouble shoot a malfunctioning RV propane furnace because of the hazards in evolved. That said is the operator manual answer.
Furnace will not light – Blower does turn on.

1. Air is in the LP line. Purge the air by turning on other appliances (like a cooktop) that are
further downstream from the LP tanks.
2. The thermostat is not set to Heat or a high enough temperature. Adjust the thermostat.

The path from the spark plug to the burner tube must contain iodized gas for the burner to continue burning. If the spark plug tip is not exactly in the proper position this can cause blow out, poofing, periodic misfiring, etc.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
does the stove gas go on?
Yes. That’s good.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:22 AM   #6

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most of us are reluctant to trouble shoot a malfunctioning RV propane furnace because of the hazards in evolved. That said is the operator manual answer.
Furnace will not light – Blower does turn on.

[SIZE=2]1. Air is in the LP line. Purge the air by turning on other appliances (like a cooktop) that are
further downstream from the LP tanks.
2. The thermostat is not set to Heat or a high enough temperature. Adjust the thermostat.
[/SIZE

The path from the spark plug to the burner tube must contain iodized gas for the burner to continue burning. If the spark plug tip is not exactly in the proper position this can cause blow out, poofing, periodic misfiring, etc.
Here’s the weird thing. The heater lights if the coach is moving. If standing still it won’t light when it’s been off for a long time (cold). Once going it cycles just fine. Thinking the spark isn’t close to the gas.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:27 AM   #7

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Had an issue with one burner on the stove today while un-winterizing. Turned on the propane bottle and lit the back burner, lit the front but as soon as i let go of the knob the flame would go out, tried it many times, tried the tankless water heater it worked fine. went about the rest of the work trying the burner every once in a while same thing. I went out and turned off the gas and then turned it back on slowly and presto, all is good now.
So might try turning the gas off and then back on again slowly.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:06 AM   #8

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
I've been having the same issue. It first happened over a year ago. Took it to the shop, they serviced the heater and it worked great. Last night, it started the same thing again. Stove lights fine. I have no idea what is causing this. Thankfully I have a plug in electric heater for times like this.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:44 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Florida
THOR #13725
Sail Switch

The sail switch is a safety switch located inside the blower motor. Lint/.dust can accumulate at the contacts preventing the switch from completing the circuit. The gas will not ignite unless the circuit completes. YOU TUBE has videos regarding simple repair for this problem. Replacement switch available on AMAZON for under $15
Old 03-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #10

THOR #19682
Resolved

OK, I watched a couple of Youtube videos and I went out and took the panel off of the outside. The sail switch was right there. I removed the sail switch and sure enough it was covered in lint. I don't get it. The coach is only 7 months old and we don't have pets. So it must have been all the fluffy throws my wife likes. It is now working just like it was only a 7 month old coach.

Here is a question. Why isn't there an intake paper filter that can be changed? I am thinking about at least putting some window screen on the inside of the grate in the bedroom. Has anyone ever done that?
Old 03-31-2021, 02:29 AM   #11

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
I checked the sail switch and it was clean as a whistle. I reset the heater a few times and suddenly it worked. I have no idea what was wrong with it. This is the 2nd time in 2 years this has happened