Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 01:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #18561
Generator help

This is my first season owning a Thor four winds 28z 2018.
I can’t seem to get the generator to run. At the demo they had to replace the house battery since it was dead, so they installed a new battery. It then started right up. . It was a quick demo due to COVID.
I tried to run it just to exercise it, but it doesn’t even crank over. I am connected to shore power. It could be something simple I am missing. I tried priming it and then hitting start but it doesn’t seem to do anything. No lights. I have plenty of gas so it’s not that. No oil sensor light. I know Now I have to run more frequently - like I said my first motor home and it was a speed demo. It hasn’t been started in 2-1/2 months. Is there another switch I am missing? We literally drove it from the dealer to its current spot. Any help appreciated.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:20 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
House batteries dead?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:27 AM   #3

THOR #18561
I am currently connected to shore power and battery indicator says full charge
Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 AM   #4

THOR #18561
I am trying to start at the generator itself but no lights so it almost seems not getting power. This is all new to me.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Disconnect from shore power, then check the house batteries. Make sure the batteries are full of distilled water and the terminals are clean and connected. Make sure the use/store switch is in the use position.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreinig View Post
I am currently connected to shore power and battery indicator says full charge
Which it always will when you are connected to shore power. That battery reading is only accurate when NOT connected to shore power for at least 1/2 hour.

Your house batteries are probably dead. They won't charge unless the USE/STORE (Battery Disconnect) is in the USE position. Don't rely on the "Status LED" that may be associated with the battery disconnect - it will always be lit as well when on shore power regardless of the battery disconnect position. Again, you must be disconnected from SP for that light to be meaningful.

Go connect the battery disconnect
while the batteries charge go to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap multimeter.
If you need to, go to Youtube university to learn how to use the multimeter.
Go measure the voltage at the house batteries. While connected to SP the voltage should be at least 13.1 VDC, disconnected from SP voltage should be at least 12.6 VDC.

If you verify the batteries are charged and you still get nothing while trying to start the generator you need to verify the 100 amp DC breaker near the house batteries is not tripped.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:10 AM   #7

THOR #18561
I will try that. I know the use button is on. I will disconnect the shore power. The battery is new so if it is dead than there are other issues. Lord I hope not - I’ve only owned this motor home a few months. Thank you for the suggestion. Glad I took out a warranty policy from eagle rv
Old 10-24-2020, 02:17 AM   #8

THOR #18561
You may have something with the tripped breaker. We had a power blip last weekend - the lights blinked. I have a surge protector connected to my electrical cord. It may have tripped that breaker. I’ll look for it - my house batteries are in the step of the coach so it should be close by. I need to install my battery disconnect I purchased anyways. I am buttoning it up for the season after this weekend. TY
Old 10-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #9

THOR #18561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Disconnect from shore power, then check the house batteries. Make sure the batteries are full of distilled water and the terminals are clean and connected. Make sure the use/store switch is in the use position.
Thank you. I have a feeling it is the batteries low on water. I am a little embarrassed to say I didn’t realize I had to consistently check the water levels on the house battery. It is my first RV and it was never mentioned to me when I picked it up from the dealership. It was right when COVID ramped up and was shutting everything down in May. I had been watching videos before I got the RV just to try and learn about it, but oddly enough the water in the batteries never came up - probably because most of the RV’ers on YouTube have the AGM batteries that don’t require maintenance like that

Tags
#generatorhelp, #newownerhelp, #onangenerator