Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2022, 09:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
My 1 cent view, parasitic loads, come from an array of things in our rv. I mostly boondock, so here is my version of draws: microwave plugged in, ALL tv’s plugged in, yes the outside one too. Antenna boost, bedroom radio, cab radio. The dvd/ cd player. All of these plugged in will draw power, not 1 by itself will kill a battery, but just start adding them up……a weak battery will not stand a chance.
Terry

Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:27 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE
State: Minnesota
THOR #26294
Getting fixed

So stopped at the dealer today and they had 2 freedom elites on the lot one with exhaust and one without. Made it a lot easier to prove my point that there was nothing attached when I bought it.
Process is started they are gonna fix it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14F51659-419A-4754-B747-77637CE0F312.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	37787  
Old 05-31-2022, 09:28 PM   #23

THOR #26294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
My 1 cent view, parasitic loads, come from an array of things in our rv. I mostly boondock, so here is my version of draws: microwave plugged in, ALL tv’s plugged in, yes the outside one too. Antenna boost, bedroom radio, cab radio. The dvd/ cd player. All of these plugged in will draw power, not 1 by itself will kill a battery, but just start adding them up……a weak battery will not stand a chance.
Terry
Agreed but with everything turned off ….everything but the fridge which was on propane it should last longer that 6-7 hours.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:54 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Terry
That is what I was taught, but I always struggled with WH? Well at least in cases where the battery disconnect switch was OFF or in STORE mode. Then when I bought my coach, I was able to test for myself, and I can go weeks if in Use mode and everything is physically turned off and voltage stays it 12.8 or whatever it was. But if in Use mode, I do have microwave and antenna boost but that draw is so tiny, I never see.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
Agreed but with everything turned off ….everything but the fridge which was on propane it should last longer that 6-7 hours.

You are making assumptions about the batteries condition or state. Yes if you have two properly working batteries at 65ah each, you get 32.5ah. If you expect to last 12 hours; then you should be able to average 2.7amps of load per hour.

If you list everything known to running (Not Fridge that is on propane because it will suck it up fast) and know what amperage it draws you can calculate.

I replaced my batteries after 1 1/2 years. Technically there was nothing wrong with them, but I struggled to do what I wanted to do in my coach overnight to make it to 8:00 AM the next day for genny to startup to recharge. I bought 2 SLR 125ah AGM problem solved. I have no proof; but while my old batteries were rated for 65ah, I doubt if they were capable of producing those loads due to wear and tear from Dealer and my previous use or more like misuse. Me and FLA batteries for RVs do not mix. I did not follow all of the directions to properly maintain.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-31-2022, 10:28 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
So stopped at the dealer today and they had 2 freedom elites on the lot one with exhaust and one without. Made it a lot easier to prove my point that there was nothing attached when I bought it.

Good move...keep us posted. Maybe start the results on a new thread since batteries hacked this one.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:40 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Good move...keep us posted. Maybe start the results on a new thread since batteries hacked this one.
Actually on this one, the OP cited two issues and the battery was the one mentioned first (See Post #1); although the title references the 2nd. I do think that a 2nd thread may we warranted; but not sure if it was hijacked?
Old 05-31-2022, 11:50 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is what I was taught, but I always struggled with WH? Well at least in cases where the battery disconnect switch was OFF or in STORE mode. Then when I bought my coach, I was able to test for myself, and I can go weeks if in Use mode and everything is physically turned off and voltage stays it 12.8 or whatever it was. But if in Use mode, I do have microwave and antenna boost but that draw is so tiny, I never see.
Microwave? The microwave runs on 120 VAC, not 12 VDC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:23 AM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Microwave? The microwave runs on 120 VAC, not 12 VDC.
My bad, not the microwave. I am so use to seeing that clock at 0:00, but I forgot my statement was with shore power off; so even that light is off. It helps to further confirm that while I know parasitic draws can exist, it should be identifiable and corrected if possible.

It may be good time for me to unplug, make sure RV is in Use mode, turn everything else off and see how long it takes me to get down to 12.7 vdc on house batteries. If history repeats I will need the RV before it even hits 12.8. In theory I would only use the Store mode if I wanted to be lazy and not have to go inside to cut everything off which I have done before. (aka Salesman Switch)

I think OP has reasonable expectations of his batteries is my point, but I doubt they are in optimum working order because based on what he is describing; they don't have the reserve capacity we are assuming they should. He will need to have testing performed and/or provide those specifications.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:10 AM   #30

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Glad to hear they are going to fix this. Looks like this has been around for a while.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Quote:
Actually on this one, the OP cited two issues and the battery was the one mentioned first (See Post #1); although the title references the 2nd. I do think that a 2nd thread may we warranted; but not sure if it was hijacked?

Thanks!! I'm their leader...which way did they go?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #32

THOR #26294
I recieved a prompt email from Thor with the parts that should be on my Generator, they asked for a picture I sent one and they are mailing the tailpipe and brackets to the dealer.

I’m happy with the progress so far we will see what happens
Old 06-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Thanks!! I'm their leader...which way did they go?
In College, I had a Professor that would occasionally in a very strong Caesar like voice holla out...

"For there they go... and I must follow. For I am their Leader" Did you buy any chance teach Industrial Cost Accounting at a University
Old 06-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
I recieved a prompt email from Thor with the parts that should be on my Generator, they asked for a picture I sent one and they are mailing the tailpipe and brackets to the dealer.

I’m happy with the progress so far we will see what happens
Did the Dealer ever find their tester? It should be fairly easy to find if the batteries hold a charge or produce the rated amp hour capacity. Between you and me, if you have any kind of battery problem, even if they replace; I would start now shopping around for what I may wish to buy in the future. Search for one of the many many threads on upgrading the batteries. I went about 18 months before I tossed mine. They worked but not adequate for my needs.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #35

THOR #11130
Quote:
In College, I had a Professor that would occasionally in a very strong Caesar like voice holla out...

"For there they go... and I must follow. For I am their Leader" Did you buy any chance teach Industrial Cost Accounting at a University

Nope, but I do have a Masters in "Consumer Spending".
Old 06-01-2022, 10:40 PM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Wow I wonder how many coaches got turned out without a genny exhaust? Maybe the day they were making Freedom Elites the exhaust installer mope called off !
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #37

Model: 25.3
THOR #16640
Camco Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System - Reduce Generator Fumes and Noise | Easy To Install and Disconnect - (44461) , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5XG...1VTW91FZN5SVRQ

https://www.amazon.com/ive?ingressTy...ib_7_ivx_share

We use the above to get exhaust and noise away from coach.
Current Coach - 25.3 Vegas - TOGO RoadLink C2 -
Previous Coach - American Tradition 42P
Dsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #38

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Terry
MW, tv, dvd are all 110 AC. They do not draw 12v dc .
Old 06-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #39

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I’ve got a sneaking suspicion your unit has had stuff robbed from it by the dealer. I can’t imagine the unit left Thor without a tailpipe on the genny. But I can believe the dealer stole it to replace one on another unit and never replaced it. Same with the battery. Yours is toast. Go buy a new one and get on with it. Like another poster said. Call Thor. They’ll send you a tailpipe. Easy diy install.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
You are making assumptions about the batteries condition or state. Yes if you have two properly working batteries at 65ah each, you get 32.5ah. If you expect to last 12 hours; then you should be able to average 2.7amps of load per hour.

If you list everything known to running (Not Fridge that is on propane because it will suck it up fast) and know what amperage it draws you can calculate.

I replaced my batteries after 1 1/2 years. Technically there was nothing wrong with them, but I struggled to do what I wanted to do in my coach overnight to make it to 8:00 AM the next day for genny to startup to recharge. I bought 2 SLR 125ah AGM problem solved. I have no proof; but while my old batteries were rated for 65ah, I doubt if they were capable of producing those loads due to wear and tear from Dealer and my previous use or more like misuse. Me and FLA batteries for RVs do not mix. I did not follow all of the directions to properly maintain.

Glad you helped me buy 125ah AGM
zero issues in 7 months !