Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD31
State: Georgia
THOR #22137
Thor Quantum PD31 Leveling System

I have a 2016 Thor Quantum PD31, I had a hydraulic line break and I had to replace it. I noticed there is no access to the hydraulic pump, there is no way to refill the tank unless you use a hand pump, there is no access door and the there is only a few inches about the tank, its a really bad design.

I read in the manual that you can manually raise and lower the leveling jacks using a power drill but on the PD31 there is no access door so that cannot be done.

On a side note, the hydraulic line was broken when we had tire blow out on the interstate at 60+ mph, turns out the valve extension broke off....I would recommend checking them to make sure they are secure, I took mine off completely.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Old 03-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #2

THOR #22137
Just an update on this even though no one has responded. I talked to Thor support and I was correct, there is no access to the pump on this model. you have to use a hand pump to pump the fluid to the reservoir. There is only a 5 inch clearance to get the cap off, its a horrible design but I guess I will have to deal with it.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Glad you’re all fixed up. But in fairness to Thor, there isn’t normally any need to access the tank fill. You’re need was pretty unusual. Otherwise you only need to replace the fluid every 4 years, I think it is.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #4

THOR #22137
Thanks for the reply Pete!
Old 03-31-2022, 05:25 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I feel your pain rob, but as Pete said filling the jack reservoir isn't done on a regular basis so having to pump the fluid shouldn't really be a huge issue. Doesn't make it any less a PIA when you have to do it but not a huge problem.
On the other hand, oil changes are a frequent maintenance item and having to fill crank case oil with a pump or having to set up a ladder to hold the oil jugs above the fill tube is a bit of a chore. Or how about watering flooded batteries in the tight spaces most Motor Homes put the coach batteries in? Another pleasant task.
Motorhome maintenance and repair is not for everyone. I enjoy the challenge and it gets me better acquainted with how my rigs systems work.
For some folks that aren't mechanically handy or are physically challenged a dealer or RV tech is their only option for maintenance and repairs and that can get expensive quick.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm calling BS on apologizing for Thor that they didn't provide better access to fill the reservoir more easily.

LCI states that the fluid should be changed every 5-years so even though you should not have to add fluid if there are no leaks, there is maintenance that needs to be done.

I had an Outlaw 29H and Thor buried the fresh water pump beneath the furnace. Normal maintenance is to remove the strainer and clean it. You had to remove the furnace to access the water pump. Another horrible design by Thor on a component that can and does fail... and needs maintenance.

The guys who design and build these coaches "hope" you never need to access some of these components. Hope is not a strategy.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #7

THOR #22137
Judge and MJC62, I agree, so far I have replaced a slide motor, the power invertor, several components in the furnace and now the rear hydraulic lines. I personally enjoy working on it, but there are time where its not much fun due to the design. The Power invertor was really difficult to replace, not only because of where its located but the way they it was installed made no sense to me. As for as the Hydraulic reservoir, I had to use a small very flat funnel, its one that is used for cooking and then a solo cup filled about half way (any more it would spill when you tilted it to get above the reservoir) to re-fill. it was not that big of a deal but the whole pump unit could have been mounted 4 or 5 inches lower, the compartment next to it extended lower and that would have made it much easier. Either way its all working now.

Thanks for the replies!!