Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Handling and ride experience on 2022 Quantum JM31

Just thought I would share my thoughts on the ride and handling of our brand new Quantum JM31 on the trip back from Florida. About a 700 mile trip mostly on I-75 thru Atlanta with lots of wind and big trucks.

First of all let me say that we are not novices and have been RVing since June 1997 with multiple types of RV's and a 40 foot diesel pusher for the last 13+ years.

The new 2022 Quantum JM31 on a 2021 Ford chassis rides much better than the diesel pusher. Granted it was a 2006 model with a straight front axle. The ride up front would sometimes jar your teeth. I worked on improving the ride for the entire time we owned the coach and was never pleased although we did improve it some. The diesel pusher handled very nicely and we were expecting to be disappointed downsizing to a Class C but we were not. The Quantum handle nicely on the trip up even in the wind. Before the trip I was planning on adding the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer and perhaps a TracBar. After the drive I plan to leave the coach bone stock with the exception of maybe replacing the shocks with Koni FSD's to help with the Walmart wobble. Very pleased so far with the Ford chassis.

We also were planning to add insulation to the dog house and floor to reduce noise but after the drive do not plan on doing that as the coach was significantly quieter than we expected. We test drove a 2021 Quantum JM31 on the 2020 Ford Chassis in Jan and it was a lot noisier. Ford must have improved the insulation on the 2021 chassis.

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #23475
Ride quality

Any comments on the ride quality of the Thor super C's?

Anyone added any suspension enhancements?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #20234
following

Because of your blog, I now have a Weber grill and battery monitor on order for our 2021 JM31. I'll be following you for more great ideas. We installed a washer machine before taking delivery.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydawg View Post
Any comments on the ride quality of the Thor super C's?

Anyone added any suspension enhancements?
Thanks

This is my personal experience...... your mileage may vary.

Most Class C's on an E-Series chassis that are 25' or longer push the limits of the stock chassis. When Ford makes a cutaway chassis, they don' know what will be built on it. Could be an ambulance, box truck, shuttle bus, motorhome, etc. They put a basic suspension on it and LT tires (not designed for carrying heavy loads full-time).

Most motorhome manufacturers don't upgrade the tires or suspension components to match the length, height and weight of the coach they put on it. As a result, many Class C's hanlde and ride like a dump truck and they are on tires that are at their weight carrying capacity.

I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H on the E-450 and it rode and handled terribly. I had to install Sumo Springs, Hellwig Heavy Duty Sway Bars and a Roadmater Steering Stabilier to get the coach to handle the way it should have when it left the assembly line.

We then decided to move to a Super C because we wanted to do longer trips. The Super C's are built on heavy duty truck chassis and not a van chassis like the Class C's. They have suspensions and tires designed to carry heavy loads all the time and at highway speeds.

When I drove a Super C the first time, it was a night and day experience compared to my Class C...... it was like driving an SUV vs driving a dump truck. As a reault I did not need to do any suspension changes to my Magnitude. Eventually I did decided to replace the factory bump stops with Sumo Springs just to soften the ride over very rough roads but it wasn't a necessity like it was on my Class C.

Now maybe Thor and other coach manufacturers are starting to upgrade the suspensions on the Class C's to improve handling and ride quality based on the build or maybe Ford has decided to improve the suspension on the E-Series and that is why the OP is having a good experieince with his 2022..... or maybe he just got lucky.

I don't know for sure what may have improved the ride and handling in the OP's Class C but I do know comparing a Class C chassis to a Super C chassis is like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mr Beaumont View Post
Because of your blog, I now have a Weber grill and battery monitor on order for our 2021 JM31. I'll be following you for more great ideas. We installed a washer machine before taking delivery.

Good to know you are finding our blog helpful. That was the intention of doing it. For many years we have benefited from others experiences and the blog is our way of giving back.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #23475
Seneca

Hi y'all,

We had a 2017 Jayco Seneca 37 HJ kinda drop in our lap, so to speak. Lotsa
OCCC, 28000 GVWR and GCWR.

Gotta go through and clean up the normal wear and tear stuff.

Thanks for all the help in looking up data I wouldn't have thought of.
Kim
Old 06-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
I am getting a Chateau 28Z (class C) after selling my 1998 Fleetwood Flair 30H (class A). On test drive of the 28Z it felt great and handled well. Was test driving on I70 and in heavy truck traffic.
The old class A on the other hand was SCARY to me most of the time. You could relax some occasionally but white knuckles the rest of the time for me. I put on a safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, new Bilstein shocks, and kept the air bags full but still felt like balancing a brick on a stick.
I have to believe it is the center of gravity with everything on the class A up over the "basement".
I am hoping for good things from the 28Z and will driving it 2.5hrs home this weekend. Your comments about the good handling have my hopes up!
Old 06-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
Well got home about an hour ago with my 2014 THOR 28Z. 2 1/2 hour drive on highways thru packed traffic and construction zones and couldn't be happier The class C rode like a dream, ran up and down hills on cruise without crazy shifting, and handled like my F150.
This is SUCH an upgrade over my 1998 Fleetwood Flair class A that I am shocked. No more white knuckles and shoulder cramps after an hour.
I think the old Chevy P30 motorhomes may be the worst. I have never driven a big Diesel pusher with a commercial bus chassis so I can't compare those. But this Class C is a dream to drive!
Old 06-13-2021, 01:26 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Glad you’re happy with it! Hope you enjoy many miles and nights in your new rig.