Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #26708
Newbie Question: Motorhome in the Heat

Hello,

We just bought a 2016 Thor Majestic 23A recently and will be driving across country with our family as we move from the West Coast back to the South. One of our stops is going to be in the Phoenix area for a couple days.

Obviously, we have a working AC in the coach. I am just concerned with the 100-102 heat and what that is going to be like if we don't have any other source of air conditioning.

What should we expect? Should we get a portable AC?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 05-18-2022, 12:23 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
THOR #25782
The AC in my unit cranked fine in 90* weather the other day, you should be ok with yours.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:35 AM   #3

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Keep the coach cool 76-78 inside .Don’t let it get to hot inside harder to cool down.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If it gets too hot in the coach during the heat of the day you can also start the truck and run the cab air as well. The V10 at an idle with the A/C running will use around 1/2 gallon of gas an hour.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:44 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
Remember you can run the generator for the a/c while driving. This should help keep things a little cooler. Once it gets hot inside……well its hot.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:05 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When it is over 100 degrees outside the inside of your RV will be hot, even with the A/C running full speed. It is an RV and has minimal insulation. The best you can do is find the shadiest camp site and set the thermostat so that it runs 24 hours a day.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:28 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Living on the west coast you know it’s always hot during the summer you should be fine at a 102. Just leave the AC on but don’t crank it way down so it freezes up. Leave the AC on all day running the generator. Use the cab AC to help keep it cool. Last summer we were camping in central Washington when it was 110 out and had molding melting but inside was nice and cool. Phx will still be cool at night this time of year it’s not miserable until summer at night.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:33 AM   #8

THOR #26708
Would you all recommend a portable AC in this kind of weather or just keep the AC in the RV going the entire time?
Old 05-18-2022, 06:02 AM   #9

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Personally I would just use the AC 's you have,
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #10

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Personally I would just use the AC 's you have,
We have been fine with just one AC. If you have a portable AC that you can bring then that won’t hurt. But I wouldn’t go out and buy one just for a couple of days in Phx.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
An Arizonan's input:
Don't plan on it shutting off until maybe midnight if you're parked in a pavement bound rv park or on a paved road. You might hit a cool week and I'll be wrong. I wouldn't bet on it.

10 minutes turned off during the day will negate the gains you made/heat you staved off in the past 10 hours.

105° is a temp taken in open air, in shade, at 5ft off the ground. That 105° is what they'll tell you officially. 10 iches off of pavement and 11ft off the pavement in full sun...that's you.

Your roof and the pavement will be ssssooooo much higher. Untouchably higher.
The low temps are now mid 70's .
Mid 70's air temp can only pull a measured amount of the 160° roof temp away.
If it's windless your rv will form a heat barrier around itself.
If the nightly low temp pulls 90% of your heat away, can you live with 80° without ac at 4 am?

Do not park facing west.

Run your dash air too.
.67 gallons an hour for our v10.
That's 14ish gallons in 24 hours.
It might be a consideration to buy that portable ac unit...

Pessimists are almost always pleasantly surprised but sometimes only break even.
Optimists are disappointed as often as they break even.

I'm a bit pessimistic about Phoenix wrather(Phoenix doesn't have weather. It has wrather)being forgiving.

And
That portable ac can be used in your new home for years to come. We have one for the spousal units 24x20 shop. It's one cash outlay to ensure comfort for many many years. Err for you and yours. Don't bet against yourself.
And
Texas and New Mexico can be just as miserable as phoenix.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #12

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
An Arizonan's input:
Don't plan on it shutting off until maybe midnight if you're parked in a pavement bound rv park or on a paved road. You might hit a cool week and I'll be wrong. I wouldn't bet on it.

10 minutes turned off during the day will negate the gains you made/heat you staved off in the past 10 hours.

105° is a temp taken in open air, in shade, at 5ft off the ground. That 105° is what they'll tell you officially. 10 iches off of pavement and 11ft off the pavement in full sun...that's you.

Your roof and the pavement will be ssssooooo much higher. Untouchably higher.
The low temps are now mid 70's .
Mid 70's air temp can only pull a measured amount of the 160° roof temp away.
If it's windless your rv will form a heat barrier around itself.
If the nightly low temp pulls 90% of your heat away, can you live with 80° without ac at 4 am?

Do not park facing west.

Run your dash air too.
.67 gallons an hour for our v10.
That's 14ish gallons in 24 hours.
It might be a consideration to buy that portable ac unit...

Pessimists are almost always pleasantly surprised but sometimes only break even.
Optimists are disappointed as often as they break even.

I'm a bit pessimistic about Phoenix wrather(Phoenix doesn't have weather. It has wrather)being forgiving.

And
That portable ac can be used in your new home for years to come. We have one for the spousal units 24x20 shop. It's one cash outlay to ensure comfort for many many years. Err for you and yours. Don't bet against yourself.
And
Texas and New Mexico can be just as miserable as phoenix.
Having lived in Texas and Arizona, I can say for certain a 90 day in Dallas is always worse then a 117 day in Phx.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #13

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
This is a topic dear to me as I am sensitive to heat having had a heat stroke in the Army. I'd follow the advice of others running both house a/c's and the coach a/c all during the day. When stopped and in the sun keep all the shades down and your windshield covered. You will be astonished at how much heat comes thru your windshield. It's likely not possible now but inspecting your a/c duct work for open ends is one of the best solutions for making sure your a/cs are not just pushing cold air out into the body of the r/v instead of inside the cabin. We use our 2021 Thor Magnitude mostly at the beach and it can still get warm in there during the hottest part of the day. So much so that I'm considering upgrading both roof top units and or buying an Ecoflow portable unit to supplement. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
This is a topic dear to me as I am sensitive to heat having had a heat stroke in the Army. I'd follow the advice of others running both house a/c's and the coach a/c all during the day. When stopped and in the sun keep all the shades down and your windshield covered. You will be astonished at how much heat comes thru your windshield. It's likely not possible now but inspecting your a/c duct work for open ends is one of the best solutions for making sure your a/cs are not just pushing cold air out into the body of the r/v instead of inside the cabin. We use our 2021 Thor Magnitude mostly at the beach and it can still get warm in there during the hottest part of the day. So much so that I'm considering upgrading both roof top units and or buying an Ecoflow portable unit to supplement. Good luck.

What would the upgrade be? Both units are 15K BTU, right? I've had no issues being frozen out in any situation we've been in so far. Frying eggs on the hood but wife wearing light sweaters inside. Agree with a previous comment...stay ahead of it...crank them up early and keep them going. The dash unit keeps the coach comfortable while underway. If its really hot, I'll fire up the generator and run both rooftops about 30 minutes before we get to campground that evening but, never have really suffered from heat. Regarding the Phoenix stop...I'd keep moving a few hundred more miles. I've placed towels along the floor at the base of the big slide occasionally...a lot of cold air seeps out there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Amazon has a roll of material similar to car window sun screens. We cut for all windows and do issues keeping cool

Reasonable price per roll and get A/C Tape to do all edges
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #16

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
What would the upgrade be? Both units are 15K BTU, right? I've had no issues being frozen out in any situation we've been in so far. Frying eggs on the hood but wife wearing light sweaters inside. Agree with a previous comment...stay ahead of it...crank them up early and keep them going. The dash unit keeps the coach comfortable while underway. If its really hot, I'll fire up the generator and run both rooftops about 30 minutes before we get to campground that evening but, never have really suffered from heat. Regarding the Phoenix stop...I'd keep moving a few hundred more miles. I've placed towels along the floor at the base of the big slide occasionally...a lot of cold air seeps out there.
Not positive but I thought they were 13k. I'd "upgrade" to the largest possible without having to cut or modify. From the very little research I've done the stock units are neither the largest nor "best" in class that would seem to fit with nearly zero effort. I'll do another summer with them before making a decision.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Not positive but I thought they were 13k. I'd "upgrade" to the largest possible without having to cut or modify. From the very little research I've done the stock units are neither the largest nor "best" in class that would seem to fit with nearly zero effort. I'll do another summer with them before making a decision.
This really helps in winter and summer..
Tested on the road 7 months in 23 states ..I think

Regarding the Phoenix stop...I'd keep moving a few hundred more miles. I've placed towels along the floor at the base of the big slide occasionally...a lot of cold air seeps out there.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #18

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Only expect to have the cabin about 20 deg lower than outside temp. So at 102 deg outside, you are going to get maybe 80. As above, start the AC early in morning and keep it running thru the heat of the day. Waiting for all the furniture, etc to get to 100 and then trying to cool, isn't the method. To start the cycle, i start engine AC full blast and run generator with both AC units running. I have the 50 AMP service on this AC, with the big ONAN 5500 Gen. That helps alot, also, run floor fans to circulate airflow in RV. Think about it as trying to extract the heat out of everything in the RV.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #19

THOR #20220
We open all windows and vents early morning..run maxair to pull cool air..then A/C UP
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #20

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Only thing i noticed stepping up to the THOR ACE and FORD 53 chassis,. We owned the Chevy Freedom Elite and the Chevy blew ice cubes. Seems like the F53 doesn't have the cooling output the Chevy does. i can put a thermometer at outlet see if its close to 57Deg F.