Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Help, need advice

I posted this in the repairs, but i need to leave tomorrow AM, and I have no inverter or solar power.

I'm in a pickle. I added two more 6v batteries on my Magnitude XG-32, and I added a solar panel. All buttoned up, wired in but no power to the inverter, and no power coming to the solar panel controller.

Here is another issue, when installing the battery, I did a split second arch with a wrench, when I grounded out a cable.

I checked the fuse panel, all good, I checked GFi all good, and then I found a small blue button on an SMP connector by the battery, and it was out, so I pushed it in, and no difference. I am going to see if there is a fuse in the inverter but I have no idea what I screwed up. My battery wiring is all good.

So the coach works on the Onan, and with shore power.

Help

Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you checked to see if there are any fuses on the controller?
Old 03-01-2021, 01:26 AM   #3

THOR #19682
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;279466]Have you checked to see if there are any fuses on the controller?[/QUOTE

There are 4 fuseable links, or fuses in the wires, inside the battery tray under the stairs. I found a blown 20A and that fixed the solar. I still don't have power to the inverter.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:04 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
There should be either a 100A/42VDC breaker in the area by the batteries under the step. Check to see if the breaker has tripped(could be either a red flag or yellow flag). If you shorted out the batteries that may have tripped. It is usually hard to see along the side of one of the batteries. Mine is on the right side of the battery when looking down at them under the step.

Paul
Old 03-01-2021, 02:28 AM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
There should be either a 100A/42VDC breaker in the area by the batteries under the step. Check to see if the breaker has tripped(could be either a red flag or yellow flag). If you shorted out the batteries that may have tripped. It is usually hard to see along the side of one of the batteries. Mine is on the right side of the battery when looking down at them under the step.

Paul
Paul, I checked both of those. There is a 100 SMP, and then a 50 generic, waterproof circuit breaker. They both seem OK. I was wondering if there is another inline fuse that I am missing. There are 4 of them in the battery tray area. I just can't find anymore. I was hoping that 20A fuse that was blown was my total problem. But that only fixed the solar side of things.

The batteries are all working just fine too.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
Paul, I checked both of those. There is a 100 SMP, and then a 50 generic, waterproof circuit breaker. They both seem OK. I was wondering if there is another inline fuse that I am missing. There are 4 of them in the battery tray area. I just can't find anymore. I was hoping that 20A fuse that was blown was my total problem. But that only fixed the solar side of things.

The batteries are all working just fine too.

The Inverter in the Magnitude uses a 300A MRBF and not a breaker. It is mounted to one of the postiive battery terminals and looks like the one pictured. Check to make sure the cable connected to it is tight and it is tight on the terminal. I found mine to be a little loose. It is possible it blew when you accidentally shorted the battery.

I purchased a spare and carry it with me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, just make sure you didn't actually bump the On / Off button on the Inverter Remote Panel. It is right next to the battery compartment in my coach and you might have leaned into it while working in there and turned it off without knowing it.

Last thing to check is the cables at the inverter. Since you were moving the cables around one may have come loose if Thor didn't have them tight. I also found a ground lug on the chassis that had a loose nut with all the grounds tied into it when I was working in there adding the additional batteries.

The only thing on the Inverter is a 20A circuit breaker and that is for the optional GFCI outlet if you install it. I actually installed the outlet in my Inverter and it powers the Central Vac that I installed so that is its breaker.

I added two batteries last spring as well. It is a very tight fit and Thor had the wiring a mess in the battery compartment so I re-did the whole thing.

I installed a 4-post power distribution block on the wall of the battery box and installed the fuse and the cable for the Inverter there along with all the cables going to the single post Thor used. I also installed a Battery Disconnect switch that allows me to switch bewteen banks, tie both banks together or disconnect them completely.

Just an FYI.... the inline fuses in the battery box are for the following:

- Solar Controller (which you found)
- Powered Entry Steps
- Emergency Start Switch
- The Chassis Battery Voltage Reading on the Firelfy Panel

The 100A breaker is for the Levelers and Generator Start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 5.12.06 AM.png
Views:	29
Size:	746.4 KB
ID:	28836  
Old 03-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #7

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Inverter in the Magnitude uses a 300A MRBF and not a breaker. It is mounted to one of the postiive battery terminals and looks like the one pictured. Check to make sure the cable connected to it is tight and it is tight on the terminal. I found mine to be a little loose. It is possible it blew when you accidentally shorted the battery.

I purchased a spare and carry it with me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, just make sure you didn't actually bump the On / Off button on the Inverter Remote Panel. It is right next to the battery compartment in my coach and you might have leaned into it while working in there and turned it off without knowing it.

Last thing to check is the cables at the inverter. Since you were moving the cables around one may have come loose if Thor didn't have them tight. I also found a ground lug on the chassis that had a loose nut with all the grounds tied into it when I was working in there adding the additional batteries.

The only thing on the Inverter is a 20A circuit breaker and that is for the optional GFCI outlet if you install it. I actually installed the outlet in my Inverter and it powers the Central Vac that I installed so that is its breaker.

I added two batteries last spring as well. It is a very tight fit and Thor had the wiring a mess in the battery compartment so I re-did the whole thing.

I installed a 4-post power distribution block on the wall of the battery box and installed the fuse and the cable for the Inverter there along with all the cables going to the single post Thor used. I also installed a Battery Disconnect switch that allows me to switch bewteen banks, tie both banks together or disconnect them completely.

Just an FYI.... the inline fuses in the battery box are for the following:

- Solar Controller (which you found)
- Powered Entry Steps
- Emergency Start Switch
- The Chassis Battery Voltage Reading on the Firelfy Panel

The 100A breaker is for the Levelers and Generator Start.
Judge, you are a genius. That Buss fuse was totally black and blown up inside. I couldn't find one in town, so I direct connected it and now it is working perfectly. I know I should have the fuse in place, but I have to make this trip and there are none available locally. Now I can make my trip and the replacement will be here when I get home. I think I should be good for a week without the fuse in there. Fingers crossed.

I wanted you to know that I found those fuses without the block or holder, for $6.99. Here is the link. I had to be careful because they weren't all 300A. Instead of Blue Marine, the brand is Eaton.

https://powerwerx.com/eaton-bussman-...-terminal-fuse

Thank you once again.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Glad that was it!

I was going to purchase just the 300A fuse but I decided to get the entire assembly as a spare when I bought it last year.... just in case.

I think you should be ok without the fuse for a few days given you haven't had any issues with it blowing before and you know what it blew now.

Safe travels!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
Judge, you are a genius. That Buss fuse was totally black and blown up inside. I couldn't find one in town, so I direct connected it and now it is working perfectly. I know I should have the fuse in place, but I have to make this trip and there are none available locally. Now I can make my trip and the replacement will be here when I get home. I think I should be good for a week without the fuse in there. Fingers crossed.

I wanted you to know that I found those fuses without the block or holder, for $6.99. Here is the link. I had to be careful because they weren't all 300A. Instead of Blue Marine, the brand is Eaton.

https://powerwerx.com/eaton-bussman-...-terminal-fuse

Thank you once again.
Please indicate in the other thread you started that the problem was "Solved".

Good Luck on your trip!

**I think this forum should incorporate the system where SOLVED is added (by the OP) to the title to indicate the OP has found a remedy.**
Old 03-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Please indicate in the other thread you started that the problem was "Solved".

Good Luck on your trip!

**I think this forum should incorporate the system where SOLVED is added (by the OP) to the title to indicate the OP has found a remedy.**
I'd be happy if OP's all just came back to answer questions posted by people trying to help them......
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:34 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that Judge fixed you up!
(Follow him around, and you'll never go wrong...)
Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

THOR #19682
Returned from my. Denver trip. No snow, kind of disappointed I didn’t get to use the 4x4. Got 9.5 mpg whole trip. But I do the speed limit 80 in Utah and 75 in Colorado. Lots of climbing and head winds on final 100 miles. No battery issues. Fuses were here from my order. Will install them this week. Long trip.