Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Florida
THOR #28035
How does the Firefly system determine "engine on" in order to run the slides/jacks?

I've been going over the schematics to figure this out and have no clue. I'm going to be eliminating the BIM (going with dc/dc charger) and want to make sure I don't incapacitate my slides and/or jacks. It also seems to me that having a big house bank should enable operation w/o engine running, though there is obviously a lockout somewhere in the mix.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Probably wired through the ignition switch.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I don't think that's taken into account in the Firefly system - it sends the control signal regardless of ignition status. The interlock is probably supply power based through an ignition controlled relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:47 PM   #4

THOR #28035
Thanks Gritz & Ace!

Finally found it! In the schemat8c for the G12 Master (Firefly master interface) there are signal wires from both the parking brake and the ignition. Was hard to read because it pixelated when I tried to zoom in (and this was a downloaded version, not online). At least now I'm confident that removing the BIM isn't going to affect my slides or jacks (I know, "famous last words" ).
Old 12-21-2022, 06:52 AM   #5

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
It would be nice to be able to able to move the slides in/out without starting up the engine. Lots of the Class A rigs let you move the slides without engine running, but they may be a different slide system. I can definitely see why you would want to assure full power when running the full slide.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #6

THOR #28035
Agreed! Now that I know where the signals come into the Firefly, I can test them. I suspect the system just verifies 12v from parking brake and ignition. If so, then I could rig a bypass to allow operation w/o running the engine running by feeding 12v from batteries. I'm replacing house w/ at least 400Ah of LiFdPO4 so powering slides or jacks won't be an issue.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohoda View Post
It would be nice to be able to able to move the slides in/out without starting up the engine. Lots of the Class A rigs let you move the slides without engine running, but they may be a different slide system. I can definitely see why you would want to assure full power when running the full slide.
It depends on which way the wind is blowing..........
Or the hiring of a new engineer.

Same slide system on many Thor MHs have an interlock that prevents moving the slide with the engine running. The motors are geared down so much they don't need the extra volt to run the slide. On my 300:1 full wall slide it only takes 10 DC amps total to move my slide in or out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:16 PM   #8

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipFL View Post
Agreed! Now that I know where the signals come into the Firefly, I can test them. I suspect the system just verifies 12v from parking brake and ignition. If so, then I could rig a bypass to allow operation w/o running the engine running by feeding 12v from batteries. I'm replacing house w/ at least 400Ah of LiFdPO4 so powering slides or jacks won't be an issue.
Hi Rip,

Did you ever try this out? I found the Yel/Wht wire is shown as the ignition input on my Firefly system which is on the G7 form for my 2020 Magnitude BH35. I am soon going to be getting the Vroom slide system installed on my full slide wall and it would be nice to be able to operate the slide without starting the engine. I might just ask the shop that is doing the install if they know how, but I suspect they will not.
Mods: VROOM full slide upgrade, Banks derringer, iDash, pedal monster, and CAI. Bilstein 4600 shocks and steering stabilizer, Sumo springs, HornBlaster Conductor's Special 5485 Nightmare Edition Train Horn Kit with onboard compressed air, TPMS kit for 6 tires, upgraded TVs to smart TVs using Google TV.
pohoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #9

THOR #28035
I have not yet. I have the G12 board and 5.1 is a groumd from parking brake and 5.6 is 12v ignition. I think both need to be "made" and that completes the circuit to allow the slides to operate. Ran out of time to mess with it - leaving on 4 month trip tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230529-173440_Xodo.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	42109  
Old 05-29-2023, 09:45 PM   #10

THOR #23156
Thx. Safe travels and enjoy!
Mods: VROOM full slide upgrade, Banks derringer, iDash, pedal monster, and CAI. Bilstein 4600 shocks and steering stabilizer, Sumo springs, HornBlaster Conductor's Special 5485 Nightmare Edition Train Horn Kit with onboard compressed air, TPMS kit for 6 tires, upgraded TVs to smart TVs using Google TV.
pohoda is offline   Reply With Quote