Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
How is this for manufacturing quality?

Since purchasing our 2022 JM31 we have had issues with the kitchen faucet leaking around the base. It seems to actually be inside the housing. I pulled the handle and could not see any evidence of leaking around the ball so decided to take the faucet out. There is no way for a 75 year old man to get back behind the sink and take out the faucet. I tried to drop the sink but it seemed to be glued in and I did not want to take a chance in damaging anything so decided the best plan of action was to remove the dinette seat and take out the luan panel giving me access to not only the faucet but all the plumbing and water heater. In the process of dismantling the dinette I found a cross brace that had been the victim of a happy staple gun operator. Picture below. I am quite handy at woodworking so will make a new brace and attach it with screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220220_160909.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	36183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220220_160904.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	36184  

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:07 PM   #2

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #26005
Unfortunately i know the feeling looking around the MH. They must use this style of wood to keep weight down.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:01 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's real craftsmanship for sure!!

Like sending a print job to the printer 50 times... because it STILL won't print! ??? Maybe just (bam) one... (bam) more... (bam!) staple... Bam!!

To me, there's nothing at all wrong with using lightweight construction... but I take issue when it's POORLY constructed. You think the manufacturer would put a picture of that in their product brochure?

Profit MARGINS are completely jacked out of sight (look at annual reports for an eye opener). Then to blame gouging on supply chain issues and parts price increases is insulting to average intelligence. It's all right there in the report to stockholders... legal disclosures.

But as long as Eskimos are buying ice cubes at $50 a bag, the insanity will continue...
Old 02-21-2022, 05:19 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Wow that’s awesome!
Old 02-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
That's real craftsmanship for sure!!

Like sending a print job to the printer 50 times... because it STILL won't print! ??? Maybe just (bam) one... (bam) more... (bam!) staple... Bam!!

To me, there's nothing at all wrong with using lightweight construction... but I take issue when it's POORLY constructed. You think the manufacturer would put a picture of that in their product brochure?

Profit MARGINS are completely jacked out of sight (look at annual reports for an eye opener). Then to blame gouging on supply chain issues and parts price increases is insulting to average intelligence. It's all right there in the report to stockholders... legal disclosures.

But as long as Eskimos are buying ice cubes at $50 a bag, the insanity will continue...
I’ve thought all along that this “supply chain” issue has been an excuse that manufacturers and retailers are using to jack up prices. And the news industry has bought into it and perpetuated the public’s view.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
All Thor's and probably most RV's use staples for interior structures. Not one staple, no way. They use as many staples that fill fit on every joint.

Speaking of joint, I think the workers have just as many too. I mean, have you been to the Thor assembly plant?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #7

THOR #21926
Turns out my decision to remove the dinette and the luan panel was the best plan of action. I got the panel out a few minutes ago and when I tried to tighten back the two brackets behind the sink they just fell off and were only glued to the counter top. That tells me what is actually holding that sink up is glue. Glad I did not break it loose. Now with that panel out I can get to a lot of stuff. See photos below. Sorry for the wacky up side down photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220221_082141.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	36193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220221_082132.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	36194  

Name:	20220221_082057.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	36195  
Old 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 27R
THOR #25266
Thor (at least from my experience with my 2022 Chateau) does NOT understand the words “quality control”
I get scared every time I have to fix something they failed to install correctly the first time.
I’ve never built an RV but I bet I can do a better job building one then they do. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Bob - If I were you I'd cut at least 3 1x stock to length and wedge/secure them vertically under the sink lip - all four corners would be ideal, but at least on the sides. There is NO glue or epoxy that will hold an undermount sink in a "rolling earthquake"! Besides, you're gluing to particleboard which will eventually crumble and break loose.

Did you find the source of your leak?
Old 02-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Bummer - but not surprised.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #11

Model: Wind sport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #24352
Just don't get mad at it...Get a bigger hammer
Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaduske View Post
Thor (at least from my experience with my 2022 Chateau) does NOT understand the words “quality control”
That is a misconception.
You don't "control quality" , you MAKE quality or you don't.
What you control are defects => lack of quality.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 27R
THOR #25266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
That is a misconception.
You don't "control quality" , you MAKE quality or you don't.
What you control are defects => lack of quality.
True, but letting these units ship after they are assembled, without fixing minor issues is a failure at quality control.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:12 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
I get scared every time I have to fix something they failed to install correctly the first time.
I’ve never built an RV but I bet I can do a better job building one then they do. Just my .02
I think most of us could build a better rv!
The question is could you, or I, along with a dozen others complete 8-10 units, whatever their quota, out the door each shift? Which is how ALL the rv assembly lines work, not just Thor.
Not making excuses for any rv manufacturers lack of quality control, but it is what it is!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
True, but letting these units ship after they are assembled, without fixing minor issues is a failure at quality control.
Is a failure at lack of quality "control".

it Is somewhat easier to get consistency when you have robots building things buy when you have manual labor, you need to rely on smart tools to certify consistency...

After the MH is build, there is no way you can check every staple, nail and screw for placement and fitment so , in this case, they would have to use a staple gun that somewhat measure the amount of energy used to staple and "catch" a staple not placed right... The same with the nail guns and screwdrivers...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:13 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think I'll come out of retirement and start selling glue and staples in Elkhart. I can retire again in less than a year. I'll also start an employment agency..."how to get a job building RV's with less brains than it takes to scratch your a**".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There are a number of manufacturers that have extensive quality programs. An entry level rig off their shop floor will cost anywhere from 1 to 3 million.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:26 AM   #18

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
you are doing this with a brand new 2022? This would all be covered under warranty. But then again, you are going to attach the sink in a manner a Craftsmen would.

EA37, are you saying quality programs would drive the cost of an RV up? Thats right. Warranty claims are covered under another budget.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:41 AM   #19

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Turns out my decision to remove the dinette and the luan panel was the best plan of action. I got the panel out a few minutes ago and when I tried to tighten back the two brackets behind the sink they just fell off and were only glued to the counter top. That tells me what is actually holding that sink up is glue. Glad I did not break it loose. Now with that panel out I can get to a lot of stuff. See photos below. Sorry for the wacky up side down photos.
it that a true corian countertop?
if so its just thermoplastic and they make glues that will attach like you would not believe. they etch into the layer and bond as if they are one
its an epoxy based adhesive.
stuff we used was made by west epoxy systems to re glue under counter supports
contact a good cabinet shop, they can guide you to the right adhesive

cant believe the sink is held on so scarcely
Old 02-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #20

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Bob - If I were you I'd cut at least 3 1x stock to length and wedge/secure them vertically under the sink lip - all four corners would be ideal, but at least on the sides. There is NO glue or epoxy that will hold an undermount sink in a "rolling earthquake"! Besides, you're gluing to particleboard which will eventually crumble and break loose.

Did you find the source of your leak?
The leak is somehow inside the faucet. I have ordered a high quality faucet to replace the cheap one Thor installed.