Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
How often to change rear axle oil and trans fluid?

I have a 2018 Chateau class C on the Ford E450 chassis. The Ford owner's manual states that the rear axle oil should be changed at 97,500 miles and the transmission fluid should be be changed at 150,000 miles under normal driving conditions. However, if it's used for regular towing, then the rear axle oil should be changed every 22,500 miles and the trans fluid every 30,000 miles.

It seems like hauling around a 32 ft. RV would be very similar to towing as far as stress on the drivetrain, so maybe I should follow the towing maintenance schedule. What do you other owners do?

Mine has about 22,500 miles on it now, and I did tow a car behind for about 5000 of those miles. Should I change the rear axle oil now?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Im not sure about RV's but for me and all of my auto's/Jeep I usually go with the 50K mile mark for Tranny + rear end fluid.

That 97,500 / 150,000 miles just sound too long to me - esp if your towing.

But perhaps these RV's are Heavy Duty enough they can go that long.

What does the color of the Tranny fluid look like? If it looks like new I would keep going till 50K.

The rear end should be fine for at least 50K IMO. Unless you go though 3+ foot water - that could suck in water. But my jeep not the RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote