Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Read this article by someone that sold their RV so they could buy a Nexus.

https://travauto56.medium.com/the-rv...e-546c8102138f

The author's experience is the same thing I observed when we looked at a Nexus Ghost before we bought the Accolade. IMHO the fit and finish of the Ghost was garbage compared to even Thor.
This.

My stepdad bought a Nexus and while the chassis is a beast, the coach is very poor. Bad fit and finish, lots of issues with shelf brackets, cabinet doors and other things of that nature, and also a roof leak out the door. Much lower assembly quality than my Thor. Also, those outside compartment doors that open upwards, but stop partway up so that one has to crawl under them to get at anything, is just crazy. (I hear they're changing those to side-swinging doors on some new ones, which is a good thing.) Generally speaking, I've preferred Thor to Forest River within just about every price category I've looked at. (Nexus is a FR product.)

Old 08-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Just as a point of curiosity (since Super Cs are much larger than any RV I’d want to own), do any of you who drive these long Super Cs ever worry about them hanging up due to long wheelbase and low ground clearance? Or doing damage to underbelly?

The very same long and low appearance that makes them look great to me seems to result in a very low breakover angle, and I’m curious if this is ever a problem or concern when driving over high railroad crossings and the like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16BC9E7D-C98E-4A2F-8C59-1B9AA0B6CF5C.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	32498  
Old 08-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just as a point of curiosity (since Super Cs are much larger than any RV I’d want to own), do any of you who drive these long Super Cs ever worry about them hanging up due to long wheelbase and low ground clearance? Or doing damage to underbelly?

The very same long and low appearance that makes them look great to me seems to result in a very low breakover angle, and I’m curious if this is ever a problem or concern when driving over high railroad crossings and the like?
Over 12000 miles and never had an issue. I would wager the low stance pictured is with air bags empty.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #24

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Buy what ever you want. That is why there are many "classes". Depending on one's needs each has advantages over the other. Life is short: get what you want and can afford. Renegade had us sold.... until we actually looked at a Class A. We wanted to stick with 35 feet total length because of living in the NW. With that the C inside space was too small of real living space. When the grandkids get older and no longer want to spend time with us we will move to the Renegade Super C.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1628006152
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	32499  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Over 12000 miles and never had an issue. I would wager the low stance pictured is with air bags empty.

Good to know, and thanks. I suppose as long as owners use common sense, and drive toad into small towns and cities like San Francisco it should be fine.

I had issues with my small C’s rear overhang on my driveway unless I backed in at an angle, but it was never an issue on highways. Still, it made me aware of low ground clearance and risk when touring unfamiliar places. Back roads in Texas Hill Country did concern me a few times because of many steep water crossings; but since no one would take a Super C on those types of back roads it shouldn’t be an issue anyways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B7663CC5-E988-4E30-9F5C-78E628B8CD6A.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	32502   Click image for larger version

Name:	A46A0DC1-1BDD-4035-B883-7A9785BE50F2.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	973.7 KB
ID:	32503  

Old 08-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #27

THOR #22245
Quote:
Good to know, and thanks. I suppose as long as owners use common sense, and drive toad into small towns and cities like San Francisco it should be fine.

I had issues with my small C’s rear overhang on my driveway unless I backed in at an angle, but it was never an issue on highways. Still, it made me aware of low ground clearance and risk when touring unfamiliar places. Back roads in Texas Hill Country did concern me a few times because of many steep water crossings; but since no one would take a Super C on those types of back roads it shouldn’t be an issue anyways.
We also use the RV navigation with our size entered into the settings. Has prevented us from going down roads that would present a problem, especially with low clearance
Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #28

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
This.

My stepdad bought a Nexus and while the chassis is a beast, the coach is very poor. Bad fit and finish, lots of issues with shelf brackets, cabinet doors and other things of that nature, and also a roof leak out the door. Much lower assembly quality than my Thor. Also, those outside compartment doors that open upwards, but stop partway up so that one has to crawl under them to get at anything, is just crazy. (I hear they're changing those to side-swinging doors on some new ones, which is a good thing.) Generaly speaking, I've preferred Thor to Forest River within just about every price category I've looked at. (Nexus is a FR product.)
Maybe something changed but I walked through a couple of their Ghost models (which is the higher end coaches) and I found the quality and workmanship to better than my Magnitude and other Magnitudes I went through.

I also talked to a guy who had a high-end Renegade and a Ghost and he liked the Ghost bette.

The Nexus Ghost...

- Uses composite versus wood in the coach
- Has a Low Alloy Lightweight Steel Cage that is very strong
- Laminated Steel Framed Floor
- Seamless Fiberglass Walls
- Fiberglass Roof
- Metal HVAC Ductwork
- Accu-Slide Cable Slide System that moves the slide on all four corners

At least from what i have seen with the Ghost it sure seems much better than the Thor Super C.

In any case, the Renegade is a very good Super C. I would consider Renegade and the Dynamax to be the best Super C's I have personally seen.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #29

THOR #2121
HMCSW, the main reason I had close calls in Texas Hill Country is that we were scouting back roads to cycle, and didn’t have a toad since our motorhome was small. Some of the roads are privately owned, so may not even show up on RV navigation.

Having said that, I expect practically all motorhomes over 30 feet will tow a toad, haul a motorcycle or two, or some other vehicle which eliminates concern.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #30

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:

My Outlaw 29H Class C had the worst ground clearance with the jacks and the balck tank plumbing.

My Magnitude is 7' longer and the F-550 Chassis provides far more ground clearance. I haven't had any issues in over 10,000 miles and almost two years with it.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #31

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
dkoldman, I was not focusing on RV size versus sales volume, just that markets are shifting, and in my opinion some of the benefits Judge listed influence the overall trends we are seeing.

That’s a great looking unit.

I hope you have chance to get it and enjoy for many years. That particular color and the overall proportions typical of many Super Cs looks really good to me.
The one I'm looking at is gray. The links I posted were for reference only

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The one I'm looking at is gray. The links I posted were for reference only

Jerry
Thanks for clarification Jerry, that should look very nice also. I have conservative tastes and don’t like driving vehicles that stand out and draw attention. The deep blue is about as “noticeable” as I like. I know that sounds pretty sad but it’s true. My favorite cars have been silver.

Good luck.👍
Old 08-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Buy what ever you want. That is why there are many "classes". Depending on one's needs each has advantages over the other. Life is short: get what you want and can afford. Renegade had us sold.... until we actually looked at a Class A. We wanted to stick with 35 feet total length because of living in the NW. With that the C inside space was too small of real living space. When the grandkids get older and no longer want to spend time with us we will move to the Renegade Super C.

X2! We had a class C and hated the wasted space relative to the length. Went to a class A and never looked back. And we prefer top hinged compartment doors after owning both. We find them far less intrusive. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #34

THOR #3156
I put a deposit on a new renegade valencia 38rb bath and a half.

Should be ready for pick up mid February

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #35

THOR #22245
Quote:

Jerry
Awesome Renagade is a super brand.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #36

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

Jerry
Awesome, can't wait to see what kind of SOB you will make

Congratulations
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #37

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I know a couple who just finished their custom house.
They're pushing 70 years old yet decided a steep set of stairs in a 2.5 story house was a good idea.
The wife must sit on the bottom step and scoot UP the stairs due to a bad knee. She'll do this for the rest of their lives. Imagine the comfort a ranch style could have afforded.

That high step to get into the cab might make those super c doors infrequently used.
A crawl to the back/coach between those front seats might not bring comfort.

Just sayin' for others who might not be in
Bodily good repair...or headed in that direction.

There are more thoughts to think than just build quality.
If it doesnt fit you physically, you'll hate it emotionally.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:20 AM   #38

THOR #3156
Well we decided to change color of the new mh. The gray. Graphite, is nice but a little plain. So we decided to go with the blue

This is not my mh but it should look the same

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210903-181909_Chrome.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	33321Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210903-181900_Chrome.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	33322Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210903-181849_Chrome.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	33323Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210903-181841_Chrome.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	33324Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210903-181830_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	33325
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-04-2021, 03:42 AM   #39

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Very nice
Old 09-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #40

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Jerry

That is a very nice looking coach. Good luck with it and hope to hear many good things about your experiences with it on the road.

Paul