Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2021, 03:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH 35
State: Arizona
THOR #7398
Inverter Question

I have a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Inverter in my Thor Omni. The refrigerator is running fine on the inverter, but none of my outlets are working. I am dry camping and can't figure out why none of the outlets work off the inverter. They work fine on shore power and generator. I have checked the GFCI in the bathroom, it has not been tripped, checked the circuit breakers, but can't figure it out. Isn't my inverter supposed to power a few outlets? The inverter is working like it should, I think, anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-06-2021, 03:14 AM   #2

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Try the outlet by the passenger seat when the Xantrex is on.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:25 AM   #3

THOR #7398
Ford1 I tried that, no luck.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:04 AM   #4

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Well the only other suggestion that I have is to go to the online Thor support and upload your VIN number to retrieve your electrical diagram/ schematic. If those don't provide the answer, the only thing left would be to obtain a voltmter, and if necessary, someone with the ability to track down your answer.
It took me a while to find the 4 outlets that mine effects. ( My fridge only runs on gas when no 110ac is available.)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:13 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
If you have a residential fridge I'm betting that's the only outlet connected to the inverter. Fairly certain it will not be powering all outlets throughout the coach unless you have a huge bank of batteries providing power to the inverter.
Use a multimeter & test the fridge outlet when operating from the inverter then check all other outlets for 120 volts.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex55 View Post
I have a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Inverter in my Thor Omni. The refrigerator is running fine on the inverter, but none of my outlets are working. I am dry camping and can't figure out why none of the outlets work off the inverter. They work fine on shore power and generator. I have checked the GFCI in the bathroom, it has not been tripped, checked the circuit breakers, but can't figure it out. Isn't my inverter supposed to power a few outlets? The inverter is working like it should, I think, anybody have any ideas?
This question has come up a bunch of times and myself and others have posted about it before.

First, you need to create an account on the Thor Owners Resource site and download the schemtatics for your coach. It will answer this question for you.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/

The Inverter for the Omni / Magnitude does not power all AC outlets. It's not a $500,000+ Class A with huge bank of batteries and a high power inverter / charger to power the entiire coach.

The Xantrex Freedom X 2000 Inverter only powers the following outlets (not Freedom XC - the Freedom XC is an Inverter / Charger and the Omni / Magnitude uses a WFCO Converter / Charger):

- Residential Fridge
- Outdoor Fridge (models with Outdoor Kitchen)
- Overhead Bunk TV
- DVD Player in Cabinet
- One Outlet Next to Bed (closes to bathroom usually)
- Outdoor TV

The GFCI circuit is not powered by the Inverter.

Also, if you intend to do a lot of dry camping for extended periods and want to run the fridge, TV's, etc. without running the generator often, you might want to consider adding two additional batteries (I have posted my installation of the additional batteries). My 2020 Magnitude was only solar prepped so I installed two 160W flexible solar panels and have four batteries.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
"It's not a $500,000+ Class A with huge bank of batteries and a high power inverter / charger to power the entiire coach."

actually, MANY Class A motorhomes, and probably others, have 'whole-house' inverters that easily power ALL outlets within the coach, even those motorhomes that are not '$500,000+' models... it's simply more of a question of 'how' the factory decides to wire the coach, not the cost of the coach.

During my transport days when driving brand new coaches from the factories to dealers across the U.S., I found that almost NONE of the factories do it the same way 'across the board', when it comes to how a coach's INVERTER is wired/what is powered by the inverter's output. I know because I needed 120v Power while traveling to keep my laptop and other things powered. It was very aggravating when you stepped up into a nice brand-name coach only to find that very few outlets were powered by the certainly large-enough onboard inverter. It was very inviting and relaxing when you stepped into a smaller motorhome to easily find a working outlet from it's smaller inverter. There was never any real 'continuity' between vehicles, no matter the size or cost.

It seems that some factories decide to 'mandate' how the owner will be able to use the inverter, by only wiring 'certain' outlets that the 'factory' decides is important. Other factories decide to let the owner, themselves, decide by wiring ALL the outlets on the inverter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
actually, MANY Class A motorhomes, and probably others, have 'whole-house' inverters that easily power ALL outlets within the coach, even those motorhomes that are not '$500,000+' models... it's simply more of a question of 'how' the factory decides to wire the coach, not the cost of the coach.

During my transport days when driving brand new coaches from the factories to dealers across the U.S., I found that almost NONE of the factories do it the same way 'across the board', when it comes to how a coach's INVERTER is wired/what is powered by the inverter's output. I know because I needed 120v Power while traveling to keep my laptop and other things powered. It was very aggravating when you stepped up into a nice brand-name coach only to find that very few outlets were powered by the certainly large-enough onboard inverter. It was very inviting and relaxing when you stepped into a smaller motorhome to easily find a working outlet from it's smaller inverter. There was never any real 'continuity' between vehicles, no matter the size or cost.

It seems that some factories decide to 'mandate' how the owner will be able to use the inverter, by only wiring 'certain' outlets that the 'factory' decides is important. Other factories decide to let the owner, themselves, decide by wiring ALL the outlets on the inverter.
I get your point amd you're not wrong but..........

To my knowledge..... and I could be wrong.... there isn't a single Thor branded coach that offers full inverter power.

The Tuscany is probably the most expensive Thor coach and it only has a 2800 Watt Inverter and 6 batteries. It wouldn't power one of the three 15,000 BTU A/C units (with heat pumps) in that coach. Maybe more outlets are wired to it but Thor doesn't have a coach fully wired that way.... as far as I know at least.

You need an Inverter well over 3000 Watts to start a 15,000 BTU A/C unit and need serious battery power and solar to keep it running. Now a 2800W Inverter can run a microwave and items other than the A/C but again.... the more and longer you want to run, the more battery power you will need and Thor doesn't build their coaches with a high-end house battery system.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #21377
You donít need an inverter that big, I have a 2200w and can run my 15k btu a/c on my inverter, only limited by capacity of the batteries
Old 05-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvless956c View Post
You don’t need an inverter that big, I have a 2200w and can run my 15k btu a/c on my inverter, only limited by capacity of the batteries

You can get away with an Inverter that small to run a 15,000 BTU A/C but not start it unless you install the "Soft Start" capability and Thor does not include that as an option from the factory..... again.... as far as I know.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #11

THOR #7398
Thanks everyone. I did get the schematics emailed to me and I will look at them today. I just want to power my dang coffee maker without waking the whole campsite..lol ! Thought that this rig, being that I paid a pretty penny for, should at least be able to power my coffee maker off grid without using the generator. But we shall see, seems like it should be powering more than my refrigerator with a 2000 watt inverter?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Inverter Question

I donít know which model you have but you can put the coffee pot on the dinnetter table and use a short extension cord to the cabinet above where the DVD player outlet is located.

You can get a 6í extension cord cheap on Amazon.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

THOR #7398
Hi Judge I have a BH35, and I checked the outlet above the sofa where the connection to the antenna /dvd connections are, no luck either. Its so frustrating..
Old 05-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Inverter Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex55 View Post
Hi Judge I have a BH35, and I checked the outlet above the sofa where the connection to the antenna /dvd connections are, no luck either. Its so frustrating..

It wonít be one of the outlets above the sofa. If you have a DVD Player in one of the cabinets (check above the dinette), that outlet should be powered by the Inverter.

Also, per your earlier post. Its not just the size of the Inverter its also the capacity of the house batteries. That is why I suggested you look into adding two additional batteries.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #15

THOR #7398
Thanks Judge, I dont have a cabinet over the dinette. However there is one that I think your talking about in the bedroom behind the TV in the cabinet. I'll check there. If that doesn't work, and the schematics dont show anything, I'll have to reconsider buying a french press for coffee...hahahaha...
Old 05-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #16

THOR #12751
If they still provide a DVD player (and they may havr dropped it to cut costs... especially since no uses DVDís much anymore), that outlet will be on the Inverter.

If not, then put the coffee pot on the cab-over bunk and use the TV outlet.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #17

THOR #7398
I love this group! I always find answers here, what a great group of people helping people.
Thanks Judge, Thor doesn't provide dvd players anymore and I dont usually use the TV over the bunk, but that outlet was HOT. So, you solved my issue! I can now have coffee without waking everyone up in the campground! Still gonna take a look at the schematics to if I can find that outlet on them. I appreciate your help!
Old 05-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Our 2021 28A didn't come with an inverter although one is included in the "rental" build of this floorplan.

My plan is to tap off of the battery posts under the dinette seat and install an inverter there.

I'm looking at the AIMS 1200/2400 inverter with auto transfer switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CHSXBD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Wiring options include;
1. Disconnecting the GFCI circuit from the breaker box and connect it to the output of the inverter, then jumping from the circuit breaker to the inverter. This will allow us to make coffee without starting the generator in the morning as some dry camping spots have generator hours that start as late as 10am! Will also allow us to watch TV in the evening after the 8pm generator curfew (plug an extension cord to GFCI).

2. Replacing one breaker with a 20 amp breaker in the breaker box. Disconnect the microwave, GFCI and regular circuits from the breaker box and install a new breaker box with three breakers in it, all 15A breakers. Feed goes from the 20A breaker in the original box to the inverter and then out to the new breaker box. This will allow the limited use of the microwave, GFCI for coffee, and regular receptacles that include the refrigerator that would save on propane use.

3. Installing a larger inverter, 3000w, with auto transfer switch and charger in the jackknife couch base and routing power cables under the coach to the main auto transfer switch shore power input.

I also plan on installing a second battery.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 35SK
THOR #14346
On my coach, there is a GFI on the inverter itself. Yours might need a reset.

Good luck
Old 05-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
On my coach, there is a GFI on the inverter itself. Yours might need a reset.

Good luck
Just an FYI.....

When there is an optional GFCI outlet on an Inverter, there is usually a built-in pish-button breaker on the Inverter for the GFCI circuit. This is a separate circuit from the external AC output circuit for the Inverter.

Most Inverter manufacturers recommend a sub-panel with breaker for the AC output circuit but Thor does not wire them this way. I have seen Thor use the GFCI circuit on Class C coaches and use the push-button breaker as the output protection.