Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Just bought our first RV - a 2017 Quantum RS26

My wife and I are both retired (64/60) and just bought our first RV, a Quantum RS26. It's built on a Ford E450 chassis, has the Triton V10 motor, a GVWR of 14,500 (5000 front/9600 rear). The only mileage thus far is driving it 4 hours home from the dealer (American Family RV in Chesapeake, MD). Learned alot about how it acts on the highway, secondaries, in town and in parking lots. The 55 gal fuel tank and the 41 gal LPG tank were full but all other tanks were empty. What I noticed immediately was how softly the vehicle road in the back. Research on line has lead me to wonder whether the vehicle may be under sprung in the back.

Do any of you own an Quantum RS26 and if so have you come across any problems with the rear suspension handling the vehicle weight? What solutions do you recommend? I'm real familiar with car suspensions, but heavy duty truck/van suspensions I'm not at all familiar with.

Keith

Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My wife and I are about your ages and retired last year. We bought a Freedom Elite 26HE which I think is virtually identical your new coach. We've not got a lot of miles on ours either. I read somewhere that Thor "normally" would have built this size of coach on the E350 chassis but has been unable because Ford had some sort of an emissions certification issue with them. Thus they are using the 450 with its heavier weight rating. Don't know if that's true but in any case I am glad to have the higher GVWR. I'm having mine weighed and aligned this week. I'm pretty confident that I'm still under my weight limit but probably not by much. So far I've been pleased with how mine drives and rides. Good luck with your new vehicle!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #6335
We picked up our Quantum RS26 on February 3 we have been out in it 3 times and love it got two trips this month and then a big road trip in July. It is just my husband and I except for the occasional trips with grandchildren. It rides really nice.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Suspension Upgrades I've chosen for my RS26

After a lot of calls, discussions and online research, I've ordered and will soon install the following suspension upgrades:

Hellwig Heavy Duty Sway Bars, Front (1 1/8") #7718 and Rear (1 1/2") #7180. The stock bars are 15/16" and 1 1/8", front and rear.

Hellwig Helper Spring for rear, #9645

Bilstein B6 Series 4 Shocks Kit, front and rear, #s 33-187563 & 33-176840

All items were available on Amazon for prices far below MSRP and immediate shipping.

I'll also be having the oil changed to Mobil 1 Extended Mileage (15,000) and having the alignment properly set.

All the work will be done by my local Ford Dealer (Malloy in Charlottesville, VA) who has provided me superb service on my other Ford vehicles.

Keith
Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #7646
RS26 ride quality on a Chevy 4500

Hi All,

I picked up my RS26 this week and super excited to be taking it for a trio this weekend, I got mine on a Chevy 4500 since its from driver compartment was much more comfortable and roomier, does anybody else have a RS26 with a Chevy?, have you had any soft ride issues like the fords? anything I should be considerate about while driving in Michigan UP terrain

any advice and guidance will help

thanks
SNK
Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

THOR #6826
Mines the same unit in Freedom Elite trim but on a Ford chassis. I am very pleased with it and have no complaints about ride or handling in the first 5000 miles. Had the alignment checked - it was spot on as delivered - installed a Safe-T-Plus (not sure it was needed but I like the handling with it). Also had it weighed by the alignment people and found I could lower my tire pressures by a tiny bit per the Michelin tables. I'm good with this combination and I'm still well under my GVWR. It's a terrific size coach and has a wonderful floor plan. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #4028
We purchased our RS26 in April 0f 2016 and have put 13,000 miles on it with 2 trips to Virginia and another to Oklahoma in addition to all around the state of Florida. It handles better than our old diesel sprinter and doesn't sway nearly as much when big rigs pass.

We drive a lot in the Blue Ridge mountains and so far the length has been great for the winding roads...none of which has stopped us...
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We purchased our RS26 in April 0f 2016 and have put 13,000 miles on it with 2 trips to Virginia and another to Oklahoma in addition to all around the state of Florida. It handles better than our old diesel sprinter and doesn't sway nearly as much when big rigs pass.

We drive a lot in the Blue Ridge mountains and so far the length has been great for the winding roads...none of which has stopped us...
That is great to hear. My husband has been the primary driver and we talked about putting the safe t plus stearin stabilizer on but he says ours drives great without but we haven't been on a long trip yet we have been up in the mountains though. We will be taking a two week trip from Arizona to Illinois going through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, we are looking forward to this trip.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #9

THOR #6826
My Freedom Elite 26HE is identical, I think, to yours. I had no handling issues with it from the start. Had the alignment checked and it was spot on as delivered. Nevertheless I installed a Safe-T-Plus before our recent tour of western states. I mostly was influenced by the scores of positive -rave, really, reviews I read n this and other forums. Had a concern about western winds, being new to this. I did the installation myself and it was pretty straightforward. I had no issues at all on our 4000 mile trip. Even in 35 mph, gusting to 50 mph winds in New Mexico. For all I know it would have been just as good without the stabilizer but I'm glad with how my coach works now. Good travels?