Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #29181
Just bought a used Thor Chateau - What are the things in these pics???

We just purchased a used (2018) Thor Chateau. We had a travel trailer about 25 years ago but this is our first Motorhome and lots of things are new to us. I'm new to this forum but I've already learned a lot from the experienced folks on the forum - what a wonderful resource and helpful community!

There are couple of things that we have found when exploring the Motorhome that we have questions about. I've attached a JPG with photos showing the "black bag-like thing" and the "roof cables". If anyone can help enlighten me as to what these are it will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Question Sheet_3-25-2023.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	41315  

Old 03-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Well, I can only guess at the black bag. Given that it is attached to the floor, it may be a return air filter from the heated basement below. The area above the floor where the bag sits is the return air plenum for the furnace. Since that area is under a slight vacuum when the furnace is running it will bring up a little return air from under the floor and filter out any dust.

More positive about the roof fixture. It is a solar port. You hook the solar panels to that port and somewhere inside the coach you should find the wires that come down from the port. You hook them to the input of a solar controller (probably not provided) and hook the output to the batteries through an appropriate sized fuse.

I suspect it was installed at the factory as a solar ready feature.

David
Old 03-25-2023, 02:26 PM   #3

THOR #29181
Thanks, David! I've thought about adding some solar panels to keep the batteries charged up so it's good to know that the cables are already in place.

Your guess about the black bag sounds very reasonable. I'll see if anyone else can confirm.

I appreciate the help!
Old 03-25-2023, 02:40 PM   #4

THOR #29181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Given that it is attached to the floor, it may be a return air filter from the heated basement below.

David
Is there a shallow heated area under the floor that you are calling "the basement"? If so, how high is it and is there a way to access it if there was a water leak or something? I never thought about that before but I guess it makes sense or else the floor could get very cold and pipes under the floor could freeze.

So much to learn...
Old 03-25-2023, 02:44 PM   #5

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
The black bag covers the slot needed for the drain in the slide
Old 03-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #6

THOR #29181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
The black bag covers the slot needed for the drain in the slide
Thank you, Trkyte. Can you please explain this further? I'm assuming that the kitchen sink has a flexible drain hose that's always connected, so I'm wondering what the "drain in the slide" is for. And what the function of the large bag is, since something smaller could have covered the small opening in the floor.

I realize it's not that important that I know about all this, but your comment has now piqued my curiosity!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedChateauGuy View Post
Thank you, Trkyte. Can you please explain this further? I'm assuming that the kitchen sink has a flexible drain hose that's always connected, so I'm wondering what the "drain in the slide" is for. And what the function of the large bag is, since something smaller could have covered the small opening in the floor.

I realize it's not that important that I know about all this, but your comment has now piqued my curiosity!
The "black bag" is for all the umbilicals that are needed to operate equipment in the slide: Water in, water out 120 VAC supply, 12 VDC supply. Normally, heating ducts are not plumbed to the slide.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:05 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Most Thor slides, where there are plumbing, etc. within the slide has a big hole cut in the floor of the slide so all the moving parts (those rising up throigh the slide floor) can flex a bit as the slide comes in and out. Thor's solution was throw a "blanlet" over it...thus, the black material. With our previous Chateau, I could see daylight in that area under kitchen sink and there was no fix.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:37 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Most Thor slides, where there are plumbing, etc. within the slide has a big hole cut in the floor of the slide so all the moving parts (those rising up throigh the slide floor) can flex a bit as the slide comes in and out. Thor's solution was throw a "blanlet" over it...thus, the black material. With our previous Chateau, I could see daylight in that area under kitchen sink and there was no fix.
Yep: with the slide out you will be able to look up from under the slide and see the hole in the floor. Mine has rubber edging but there is still a very large gap and can reach up into that bag. Depending on the outside temperatures or mosquito season I place foam into the hole to seal it. Works but learned something to look for on the next RV.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #10

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
I have the same floorplan. The black bag should have some very strong velcro that you can adjust to ensure there is no hole to the outside. It takes some patients, and trial and error. Once set correctly, works great.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:32 AM   #11

THOR #29181
Additional Questions about my Thor Chateau (5/27/2023)

Thanks for all the replies to my earlier questions. My wife and I filled up the water system for the first time today and we have a question about an apparent leak in the shower. We also have a question about the HWH leveling system. Please see the attached picture for more details. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Question Sheet_5-26-2023.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	42084  
Old 05-27-2023, 04:21 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
No, that shower leak is not normal.

HWH is an aftermarket system so it's unlikely anyone can help you with a specific location - just suggestions; like, did you look in the overhead of your storage areas?
Old 05-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #13

THOR #29181
Thank you for the helpful response. My wife and I will check the shower faucet again to see if we can find out what's up.

I did check all the the storage compartments for the leveling sensor, and today checked under the couch and a few other places. It's so frustrating having this automatic leveling system that functions fine, but is slightly off in calibration of the sensor, so we're tilting slightly to the left. I need to find that sensor location! Any other suggestions from folks on the forum as to where it might be mounted are welcomed!
Old 05-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedChateauGuy View Post
Thank you for the helpful response. My wife and I will check the shower faucet again to see if we can find out what's up.

I did check all the the storage compartments for the leveling sensor, and today checked under the couch and a few other places. It's so frustrating having this automatic leveling system that functions fine, but is slightly off in calibration of the sensor, so we're tilting slightly to the left. I need to find that sensor location! Any other suggestions from folks on the forum as to where it might be mounted are welcomed!
Doesn't your system have a MANUAL mode where you can manually make it level until you find the sensor?
Old 05-28-2023, 12:19 AM   #15

THOR #29181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Doesn't your system have a MANUAL mode where you can manually make it level until you find the sensor?
Good point. I did try weaking the level manually after the auto-leveling was done, but it didn't respond. I probably need to do manual mode from the start, but I don't have the exact manual for my HWH system so I was hesitant to try in case I did something wrong.
I'll keep searching the internet for my exact system manual and give that a try.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:39 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Search the internet? It should be on the HWH site: https://hwhcorp.com/
Old 05-30-2023, 04:54 PM   #17

THOR #29181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Search the internet? It should be on the HWH site: https://hwhcorp.com/
Thanks for the link! I had done some searching on the HWH site, but your link led me to the installation manual. From that I could see what the sensor was wired to and I followed the leads and found it on the underside of the RV quite far from the pump system, but still easily accessible (if you don't mind laying on your back on the ground). So all is well and your help is much appreciated!