Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
KW,

Camping World of Statesvilles offers new purchasers the chance to Overnight it there on the lot for the first shakedown. With the tight timeline you have to get it all ready for 01JUly you might ask about spending the first night on their driveway.

If not possible, ask if they have a Dump Station and have a Tech walk you thru (and preform) the correct sequence of procedures for hooking up and flushing things out.

Some of the most "colorful" learning experiences occur at the business end of the gray water and black water tanks.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Some things are just minor adjustments, so if you are handy with a screwdriver, you may be able to adjust the pull out counter/drawer yourself. I know I had to relocate a catch on the entertainment center since it happened to be right above where the components would go and made it difficult to get all of the electronics in and out. Took about 15 minutes with my handheld drill and screwdriver.

As far as the blinds go, those generally are pretty fragile (if they are the drawstring kind) and the air mattress is a big deal if you plan to use it, so I would have the dealer work on those. For some items duct tape is awesome but for others it takes some know how and experience. I am not a fan of the drawstring blinds (would much prefer roller blinds... we plan to replace ours at some point.)

I am a fan of living in it in the driveway prior to leaving just to make sure you know it as well as you can prior to departing. Part of my trip plan would be to locate service points along the way (either dealers, shops or mobile techs) just in case.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #63

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
aSSUMING THOSE MINOR THINGS ARE OKAY---WELL EVERYTHING THEY ALL SAID-GOOD POINT dOC- AND IF YOU HAVE AWNING AND LEVELERS THAT ARE ELECTRIC---PLAY PLAY PLAY......LOWER, DO MANUAL,DO AUTO--MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO DO MANUAL ON THE AWNING, THE SLIDE AND THE LEVELERS...MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE CONTROLLERS ARE THEY SOMETIMES JUST NEED TO BE RESET--MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR FUSES ARE AND YOUR BREAKER......SO FAR WE LOVE OURS TOO! OH JEEZE sorry about the caps just saw that but not retyping!!! LOL
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #64

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
have set up a 5 hour walk through with the sales man. I want to use everything on the motor home and find where everything is located.
The things we found wrong should be a simple fix for them, I am very handy with tools and working on class c rvs, we are trading ours in will be sad to see it go it has been a great coach, it has never let us down or stranded us in 104k miles. I did all the maintenance and repairs on it probably why it has been so reliable, it was a 1998 Fleetwood Tioga.
Like I said, when we get it home we are going to live in it for a few days getting used to it and using everything before we take off. Hopefully this one will give us many years of good service also.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #65

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
KW,

Camping World of Statesvilles offers new purchasers the chance to Overnight it there on the lot for the first shakedown. With the tight timeline you have to get it all ready for 01JUly you might ask about spending the first night on their driveway.

If not possible, ask if they have a Dump Station and have a Tech walk you thru (and preform) the correct sequence of procedures for hooking up and flushing things out.

Some of the most "colorful" learning experiences occur at the business end of the gray water and black water tanks.

Doc
Oh yea! How true it is....try not to learn how to dump the hard way. We have a new (2016) Ace 29.3 with a full length slide and have not had any problems with the slide. We have had a list of things to fix, most of them minor, and hope to have the final ones fixed July 1. Nothing kept us from using our motorhome, but a water leak around the windshield is annoying and should not have happened. How they could have run it through a rain shed and not noticed the rubber seal at the top of the windshield didn't cover the opening is beyond me. The "owners manual" is lousy, but much better than the one I got for my 2015 Coachmen Leperchaun. I got no support from Forest River, but I have from Thor. Bottom line, you bets your money and takes your chances.. It doesn't matter who builds the coach..they all have problems.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #66

State: Florida
THOR #3295
We bought our Thor ACE 29.9 brand new last year and have only used it one time due to it being in the shop virtually all the other months. The first trip discovered a shower that was non functional, a leaky toilet, and problems with the awning (which didn't duplicate at the service repair center, so we had to pay for what they called owner error). Since then, we run it monthly in storage, and went to take it out again and the levelers malfunctioned. After troubleshooting with Camping World (where we purchased the RV), and the techs were of no help, the Thor Techs were able to troubleshoot it for us (after talking to three techs over two days, including one who had us crawling under the coach to look for a reset button that turned out to be in another area). After finally getting the levelers up, had to take it back to service for a malfunction on the panel. Three weeks later, get a call that the levelers are fixed but the batteries are bad (too much acid). Just about frustrated with this whole ordeal. This RV has been in the shop more than out and now we have to buy new batteries on top of all the aggravation. Do yourself a favor and take your hard earned money and go on a trip where you don't have to worry about mechanical failure. Your pocket book and marriage will be better for it.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #67

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE3263 View Post
We bought our Thor ACE 29.9 brand new last year and have only used it one time due to it being in the shop virtually all the other months. The first trip discovered a shower that was non functional, a leaky toilet, and problems with the awning (which didn't duplicate at the service repair center, so we had to pay for what they called owner error). Since then, we run it monthly in storage, and went to take it out again and the levelers malfunctioned. After troubleshooting with Camping World (where we purchased the RV), and the techs were of no help, the Thor Techs were able to troubleshoot it for us (after talking to three techs over two days, including one who had us crawling under the coach to look for a reset button that turned out to be in another area). After finally getting the levelers up, had to take it back to service for a malfunction on the panel. Three weeks later, get a call that the levelers are fixed but the batteries are bad (too much acid). Just about frustrated with this whole ordeal. This RV has been in the shop more than out and now we have to buy new batteries on top of all the aggravation. Do yourself a favor and take your hard earned money and go on a trip where you don't have to worry about mechanical failure. Your pocket book and marriage will be better for it.
Did you buy it used? What about the warranty? Did you get a service contract? Just asking... I have to agree with others to NEVER leave your coach at a dealer when they won't tell you when you are going to work on it. I think you may just have a bad dealer (service department) and if you had Harris batteries, there are all kinds of posts as to how bad they are. Maybe Thor will replace them. Did you ever contact Thor directly or rely on CW?
There are lots of posts on how to reset your levelers, we have never had to but it may even be in the owner's manual.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #68

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
new thor coach

One thing to examine, among many others, is loose wiring hanging down, unsecured beneath the coach. On our Vegas, we had loose wires that were actually coming on contact with the moving rear tires, while driving. They were flapping in the breeze with no wire loom or zip ties keeping them in place. I secured 6 different wires for fog lights, 12 volt power, holding tank sensors, tail light wiring and 7-wire trailer connector wires. Make sure tire pressure is correct, and try to add air to each tire to make sure the tire valves work. Mine did not. Check fender liners for proper anchoring, there have been liners falling off and puncturing tires. They were not adequately anchored to the body. Cycle the salon area slide-out and over the cab drop-down bed several times to ensure that they operate smoothly. Take NOTHING for granted. Accept NO assurances from the dealer that all is good without testing everything yourself, and insist on instructions on operation of all the systems.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #69

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
If I were going to buy another class C, it would definitely have to have a one piece fiberglass overhead cap cause these areas are notorious for leaking especially if you plan to keep the unit long term. I had a 2000 Shasta Class C that had major rotting due to leaking and know someone that had a 1998 Tioga same leak issue. Jayco and Winnebago have units with one piece fiberglass caps and there maybe others out there. Good Luck.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #70

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
New 2017 Miramar 34.3 slide problems

Wife and I love the Miramar 34.3 floorplan. Floorplan can't be beat for a young family with three teens and a dog. Have had considerable problems with the RV, however. First, the chassis AC was inop. Second, the full slide stopped working correctly (roller alignment issue likely existed before delivery). And third, we found that the full wall slide actually came manufactured incorrectly. It had a two track system vice the 3Trax as advertised since 2016 - causing much reconfiguration dealer maintenance and repair (there is a difference between the two). We can't for the life of us figure out how Thor made such an error - as there is now no such thing as a two track slide system on a full slide in their RV's????

Anyways... Trying to be positive and giving Thor a chance to recover with us.. We have RV'ed for ten years and on our third RV (second new). We have had all kinds of ups and downs experiences - with relatively few downs.... Seriously hoping that our new Miramar 34.3 is not going to be a downer! Thor has been mostly helpful, and the dealer service manager at Longview RV, Connecticut (Joe Nero) has been OUTSTANDING!

Jury is still out to see if all goes well as we pick it up tomorrow... Happy Camping all!

The Labers
Old 06-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #71

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I would have to agree with everyone on this thread that Thor customer service has been excellent. They have sent me parts and refunded me for monies I spent fixing things (parts/materials only). They also said that as long as they have a record on my file of an issue I am having, it will be covered under warranty even after the warranty has expired. This is great for me because I cannot afford the time to keep taking the unit in for repair since the closest dealer that will work on this unit under warranty is 90 miles away and unfortunately, it's a Camping World. I put most of the blame on these needed repairs on the dealers. They couldn't care less if your unit has issues when you buy it new. If they would spend the time going over these units in more detail and fix things that are not right, we as customers would spend less time taking them back for repair. The dealers only care about getting your signature on a check or a loan document. I wish we could buy RV's directly from the manufacturer cause most dealers are nothing but a scheme. I hear that Nexus sells direct. I wonder how good a product they are.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #72

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 34.3 woth slide issues out of box

Bought a 2017 Miramar 34.3 bunkhouse this month. This is our 3rd RV in 10 years and second new out of the box (just upgraded from a 2011 Itasca impulse class c bunkhouse w/ 2 slides). We had confidence purchasing this particular bunkhouse because Thor boasts about the full wall slide having a 3Trax system that is not likely to fail as in earlier models (see 2013/14 palazzo 2 track models)...

We camped one weekend and found a major slide issue on the full wall (would not extend/retract all the way). We also had a chassis AC that was inop (but felt these are normal for a new RV). We called the techs and collectively discovered that the slide was malfunctioning. Had to bring it back to dealer after 4 days ownership.

Subsequently found the RV was manufactured inside the Thor factory with only the two rail system! The dealer not only had to repair the slide malfunction, but had to remanufacture our slide to be the slide we initially purchased....

We have had decent dialogue with Thor. But they have left the real customer service to the dealer. Joe, at Longview RV in CT, was a true professional and has said all of the right things. He added two auxillary batteries for our troubles and will pick up tomorrow in time for 4th of July.

All things said... We are holding our breath about this Schwintek slide system and our future with Thor. Keep doing research and know that there are truly better slide systems out there. Our Itasca never had one problem in five years of hardcore usage. The Schwintek slide system is a very delicate and problem ridden from our experience so far.

And if you do buy a Thor (can't beat the layout), do not rely on the walk around for your orientation. Know your systems via you tube or the internet. I found that our orientation guy did not know the operations of our RV too well.

Good luck,
The Labers
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #73

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Don"t!!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #74

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #4545
Buy a pre-owned that is at least a 6 months old, all the bugs have been fixed.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #75
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksciacca1
Buy a pre-owned that is at least a 6 months old, all the bugs have been fixed.
Not necessarily: 6 months is long enough to figure out its a lemon and get rid of it with nothing fixed.

If getting used I'd go more for 1-2 years old.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #76

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
6 months is a VERY optimistic hope. I am at 9 months with mine.

My recommendation remains shop 2-4 years old. That really is enough time for the bugs to PERHAPS have been discovered. I would still rely upon a wry thorough, professional inspection.

Buying at less than a year old means giving up on the balance of the factory warranty, since they are NOT transferable.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #77

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
6 months is a VERY optimistic hope. I am at 9 months with mine.

My recommendation remains shop 2-4 years old. That really is enough time for the bugs to PERHAPS have been discovered. I would still rely upon a wry thorough, professional inspection.

Buying at less than a year old means giving up on the balance of the factory warranty, since they are NOT transferable.
According to my manual, the warranty is transferable once (only once) during the first year.

But verify before you make that purchase. A phone call will work.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #78

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
"lookng at purchasing a new THOR"

We purchased out Thor ACE 29.2 a year ago. We just returned from a trip to Oregon, Glacier Nat Park, & Colorado and now back to Tennessee (6210 miles, 8.55 mpg). We are totally pleased with our ACE. We might be the exception but we have had NO warranty claims with now 10,000 miles on the odometer. We purchased it new from Camping World in May 2015.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #79

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
We purchased out Thor ACE 29.2 a year ago. We just returned from a trip to Oregon, Glacier Nat Park, & Colorado and now back to Tennessee (6210 miles, 8.55 mpg). We are totally pleased with our ACE. We might be the exception but we have had NO warranty claims with now 10,000 miles on the odometer.
Super! Want to trade for a nice 29.3? Just kidding.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #80

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Brown,
Congrats on your selection, just send me a copy of the PDI list you used!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote