Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #26627
Looks for carseat options - FourWinds 22E 2017

Hi there.
Ive just recently pulled the trigger on our first RV. Ford 22E 2017.

I have a bunch of little jobs to do but my main question is are there better options for a toddler/baby car seat?

We have a 2.5yo and it would be nice to have my wife and him up the front. Instead of both down the back (which doesnt really fit that well either, without remove cushions).

Can you get a 3rd seat or bench seat for the E350?

Old 05-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #2

THOR #26627
Does anyone know of a solution for a bench seat or 3rd man seat in the front of an ESeries? 2017 E350

Basically I would like to have the car seat in the middle so that we can all be up the front.

The car seat in the back doesnt work so well because I have to remove the cushion each time to get it low enough. Or drop the table down which means my wife cant sit back there comfortably

Old 05-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There should be at least 9,000 internet articles devoted to this.
Rv seat belts other than in your cab are not/do not have to comply to federal regs.
Child seat placement does have to deal with federal law.

Place it anywhere except that front passenger seat and I think you'll be just one angry cop away from meeting a child protective services agent and getting your kid and rv impounded.
Any cop who's dealt with a dead child in a wreck is going to absolutely come unhinged.

Non driver is in back.
I doubt there's little else.
Legal isn't exactly the question.
County cop grieving a past incident is the wild card.

The anchors are a simple job for any handyman.
Most of them will hesitate to do it.
Even the simplest most awful wordseller in any rv rag will not commit to your question.

Or not.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:55 PM   #4

THOR #26627
I didnt think it was illegal to have a carseat in the back. Since Ive seen it everywhere and I cant find a definitive answer on google. I will look into it more.

My question is does the E Series have an option for a 3rd seat in the front. Like a Transit can swap out for a 2 seater passenger seat for example.
Is there such a thing for a Ford E-Series E350. Google didnt help me so I came here.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:28 PM   #5

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
I would be very careful and review the laws of the states you are traveling before attempting this.
In Michigan they must be 4 yrs and above to be placed in the front passenger area unless there are very specific reasons.
With restraint provisions supplied behind the driver area I would think you will run into trouble.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:18 AM   #6

THOR #26627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Place it anywhere except that front passenger seat and I think you'll be just one angry cop away from meeting a child protective services agent and getting your kid and rv impounded.

So ducksface says must only be in the front and jimmers says can not be in the front.

I guess I was looking at this like a 2 seater car/truck, were you are allowed the car seat in the front as long as you turn off the airbag. But in a 4+ seater car it must be in the back for under ~4yo.

But are you saying an under 4yo cant be in the front OR back? Meaning youre not legally allowed to transport kids under 4 in an RV at all unless theres chassis mounted rear seats?

Googles giving me conflicting answers so I need to do a bit more digging. (most answers say back or front are fine, front is preferred)
Old 05-18-2022, 03:48 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Ducksface said to do much research, disregard what you think is legal because you won't win the loud altercation and you can expect a major ass chewing at any time during your travels.

The front passenger seat is the only approved anchor point in your RV.

Google will tell you about any optional third front seat. If there is such a thing It's gonna really suck to sit in and suck to try to get out of.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #8

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
In the rare case restraints were installed by the factory, they are in the forward facing bench of the dinette behind the back cushion.
Ours has them but most are offered as an option which to me should be mandatory safety equipment in any motorhome.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I rented a UHaul van on the Ford E350 chassis & unless the doghouse in a motorhome on that same chassis has the doghouse extremely better insulated there's NO WAY I'd put my child face first up against it, legal or not, it was too hot to have either of us touch it with a leg.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
To answer your question...no...the Econoline Series has never offered a bench seat in the van...mostly because of available space (dog house) and usually they are commercial use with driver having access to rear of van. Like others have stated...RV builders have not addressed child safety. Too man regulations and liability for tin-can construction. Humor intended...wrap the child in bubble wrap and let it just roll around like a pinball as you travel. Probably the safest option. A child sitting up front, facing forward is a ticket to jail and face serious child endangerment issues. Where I live, it's OK to carry an infant on your lap, on the rear facing seat of a golf cart with NO seat belts as you drive around the major streets in traffic...but you can't spend any amount you wish to safely transport your child in an RV. Good luck with a solution...post it if you figure it out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #11

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
As others have mentioned, there isn't really a great option. Everyone I talk to with kids who RV have their own opinions and I'm sure each law enforcement officer you speak to will have their own as well.

We have 4 kids age 9 and under. We are typically on the "err on the side of caution" when it comes to our kids and carseats. What we decided to do (probably not legal in most states) was to create a new bracket for the seat belts at the dinette so all 4 of our kids could sit in their carseats at the table.

2 of our kids and their carseats weigh less than one adult, so my thought process was that if Thor thought it was OK for an adult to use the one car seat, it would hopefully be enough to keep the 2 kids safe per side. Our bracket was custom made by a professional machine shop and is much stronger than the stock one.

Is it a hassle to remove the cushions and install the carseats every time? Yes.
Will it keep them safe if we are in a horrible wreck? maybe, maybe not...
Do I believe it will atleast give them a better chance of staying safe than just roaming around in the RV? Yes.

Old Single Seat Belt Bracket

New double Seat Belt Bracket - still mounted to the floor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4172.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	37570   Click image for larger version

Name:	63159535311__95061470-E7BF-4ADB-9605-63B1FC21BA00.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	37571