Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2021, 03:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Magnitude "floating" vinyl floor.

OK another "how hard will this be to fix" question. I received my 2021 Thor Magnitude late November 2020 already winterized and didn't get to use everything during the winter. I winterized again this year after only being able to take a couple short <300 mile trips. I decided to see how the furnace works in this thing. Last year I didn't know how to use everything so I just used a space heater on mild winter days. This year I turn on the furnace (of course all kinds of stuff blows out the vents) but then I noticed as I started walking in the coach the vinyl flooring is floating up. Puffed up like all the air is under it. As you walk its like 1/2 inch hovering above whatever hard surface is beneath it throughout the entire coach. I'm loosing a lot of heat to who knows where. I've seen this in cheap apartment rehabs where they end up just putting 2-sided tape around the vents to keep air from getting up under the floor. I tried that on the 3 vents I saw to no avail. Thor says the floor is supposed to float so as not to tear during shifting and slide use? Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Thx

Old 11-16-2021, 03:27 AM   #2

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezrvz View Post
OK another "how hard will this be to fix" question. I received my 2021 Thor Magnitude late November 2020 already winterized and didn't get to use everything during the winter. I winterized again this year after only being able to take a couple short <300 mile trips. I decided to see how the furnace works in this thing. Last year I didn't know how to use everything so I just used a space heater on mild winter days. This year I turn on the furnace (of course all kinds of stuff blows out the vents) but then I noticed as I started walking in the coach the vinyl flooring is floating up. Puffed up like all the air is under it. As you walk its like 1/2 inch hovering above whatever hard surface is beneath it throughout the entire coach. I'm loosing a lot of heat to who knows where. I've seen this in cheap apartment rehabs where they end up just putting 2-sided tape around the vents to keep air from getting up under the floor. I tried that on the 3 vents I saw to no avail. Thor says the floor is supposed to float so as not to tear during shifting and slide use? Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Thx
Don't follow the 2-sided tape unless it's under the sheet vinyl. I'd suggest removing the floor register vent and tape the top of the vinyl a short bit down into the ducting. Seal the openings so no air from the furnace can go under the sheet vinyl.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:06 AM   #3

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
My floor does the same thing also, I keep meaning to pull the vents and secure the edges down to stop air from going under the floor.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Different model but ours does that as well. It hasn’t caused us any issues so I have just put it off for the last 5 years.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Isn’t that the new heated floors offered by Thor
Seriously, now I have to run our furnace to see what happens.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:57 AM   #6

State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Don't follow the 2-sided tape unless it's under the sheet vinyl. I'd suggest removing the floor register vent and tape the top of the vinyl a short bit down into the ducting. Seal the openings so no air from the furnace can go under the sheet vinyl.
Yeah I tried taping the way you suggested down a ways into the duct which just runs a short bit as metal then they just let the wood channel carry the air after that. I ran a borescope down in and there are big gaps where the wood butts up against things. I pulled out the bottom drawers in the bedroom closet and saw that the flexible ducts from the furnace just had these little short screws holding them down and no seal so I foil taped them down too. Good heat comes out of the one vent exiting the lower dresser. I'm guessing not having dedicated ducting and using just the wood framing to carry the air is the reason. They are using cheaper than dryer vent material. If I can find a way to fish some flexible ducting end-to-end it would probably be shweet.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:27 AM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezrvz View Post
Yeah I tried taping the way you suggested down a ways into the duct which just runs a short bit as metal then they just let the wood channel carry the air after that. I ran a borescope down in and there are big gaps where the wood butts up against things. I pulled out the bottom drawers in the bedroom closet and saw that the flexible ducts from the furnace just had these little short screws holding them down and no seal so I foil taped them down too. Good heat comes out of the one vent exiting the lower dresser. I'm guessing not having dedicated ducting and using just the wood framing to carry the air is the reason. They are using cheaper than dryer vent material. If I can find a way to fish some flexible ducting end-to-end it would probably be shweet.
I pulled the slatted cover off the heater compartment looking for mice evidence and saw those flexible ducts. Looks like the heating ducting is worse than the A/C ducting. Another great thor "quality build". Obviously as such, my suggestion of tape won't help. Looks like another use for the borescope I got.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-17-2021, 02:49 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Adds a whole new meaning to "floating floor"! Maybe Thor could patent that and call it "ThorFloor".

Seriously though - I hope you come up with a solution. That's a tough fix.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:20 AM   #9

THOR #4243
When I get done with the cap remodel I will have to take a look at the heating duct work in mine also as the vinyl floor lifts when the heater is on.
You guys should really put some big hose clamps on the flexible hoses as they come out of the heater, had 2 come off last year and all the clothes in the drawers were toasty warm, front of the coach not so much. And where the hose feed into the floor tape the sheet metal connection down good, used the foil backed tape on them air would leak out between the connection and the floor.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This must be an XG32 thing..... I don't have this problem in my SV34. I'm so happy I finally don't have a problem other people have.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
This must be an XG32 thing..... I don't have this problem in my SV34. I'm so happy I finally don't have a problem other people have.
Not sure it's all XG32 either but probably is. When were were in WV it got cold a couple mornings and I ran the heater a bit and didn't notice any floor floating. Since it's back home I'll fire up the heater this morning and see if it happens and I just missed it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Not sure it's all XG32 either but probably is. When were were in WV it got cold a couple mornings and I ran the heater a bit and didn't notice any floor floating. Since it's back home I'll fire up the heater this morning and see if it happens and I just missed it.

EDIT just went out and turned the heater on high and a bunch of sawdust blew out, not surprising. I must have had it on low before. No billowing floor but could feel the not glued down sheet vinyl so some air getting in perhaps. Later I'll pull the vent registers and be prepared to add some foil tape.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-18-2021, 01:04 AM   #13

THOR #4243
Quote:
LOL, you SV34 owners have it made
I will look into mine next, was going to do it last year but got busy with other projects.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #14

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Rb34 2022

Quote:
Not having a issue like that either, but I do not have floor vents.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
My xg32 floor did the same thing. Dealer told me it happens when the factory is installing cabinetry, walls, furniture. They screw into the duct chase. The dealer cut my floor around the edge and then glued it down. That was 17 months ago and no issues with the floor.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
EDIT just went out and turned the heater on high and a bunch of sawdust blew out, not surprising. I must have had it on low before. No billowing floor but could feel the not glued down sheet vinyl so some air getting in perhaps. Later I'll pull the vent registers and be prepared to add some foil tape.
Pulled the registers and they are taped but not very well. I'll add some tape along the edges and inside. Maybe a pound or 2 of sawdust from the floor vents and vents not connected under the wardrobe. It will be a week or more before I can borescope the vents to see how bad it is. More styrofoam blowing from the A/C vents so further inspection there later too. Meanwhile still catching mice outside but nothing inside. Something ran or crawled off with 1 trap and tripped others outside. No more evidence inside of any.

Renegade Valencia or Verona research continues.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #17

THOR #22586
Quote:
Pulled the registers and they are taped but not very well. I'll add some tape along the edges and inside. Maybe a pound or 2 of sawdust from the floor vents and vents not connected under the wardrobe. It will be a week or more before I can borescope the vents to see how bad it is. More styrofoam blowing from the A/C vents so further inspection there later too. Meanwhile still catching mice outside but nothing inside. Something ran or crawled off with 1 trap and tripped others outside. No more evidence inside of any.

Renegade Valencia or Verona research continues.
Well I scoped the ducts as best I could. First the scope is hard to manage especially when extending more than 12" into the duct. What I found on the A/C ducting is it's in OK shape for a styrofoam box. The gaps that I found and previously repaired were up front around the front vent. I didn't check the ducting around the shower skylight.
In the floor heating vents the ducting between the first floor resister and the one in the bath was confusing so I didn't learn much. I did hook my shop vac up to a duct opening and blocked the other registers openings and ran the heat with the vac going. Hopefully I got the first 100 pounds of sawdust out. Did the same thing in the A/C ducting trying to reduce the Styrofoam snow showers.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-04-2021, 02:33 AM   #18

THOR #4243
I have scoped my a/c ducting last year and found no issues with it and while I had the cap apart and the roof vent out found no openings there.
I will get around to scoping the heat vents and will run a smoke machine in the ducts and look for leaks to the outside/under the coach and will report back with what I find.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:46 AM   #19

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I have scoped my a/c ducting last year and found no issues with it and while I had the cap apart and the roof vent out found no openings there.
I will get around to scoping the heat vents and will run a smoke machine in the ducts and look for leaks to the outside/under the coach and will report back with what I find.
What I did find was the heater box under the wardrobe. The 4 ducting connectors that connect the flexible round ducting to the box. They rotate and clip into the heater box. Not securely and leak. I put some foil tape around the edges as best I could but it's not a 100% job. I'd have to take the heater out to do that. But that makes your clothes in the wardrobe toasty warm.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-04-2021, 04:05 AM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
No sign of this in our BH35, but every darn time I read one of these and think to myself "nope, not me"...

*sigh*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote