Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
RCS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Magnitude/Omni Maxx Air Fan install question

I am looking at putting a Maxx Air Fan in the front vent but not sure how to get power to the unit. (2021 Magnitude XG32) Has anyone gotten 12v power to this area? If so, where from and how did you route the wires?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
I am looking at putting a Maxx Air Fan in the front vent but not sure how to get power to the unit. (2021 Magnitude XG32) Has anyone gotten 12v power to this area? If so, where from and how did you route the wires?

Thanks,
Richard
The only place you are going to be slose to power is the lights in the cab-over bunk. You're going to need to pull down the ceiling in the cab-over, tap into then light wiring and then see if you can feed it through the ceiling to the vent.

I think one person has done it. I thought about it but more work than benefit from my perspective.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
RCS

THOR #24446
Thanks Judge,
The vent is boxed in with the ceiling air plenum. I though about the cap lights, but since they are switched, I think I would have to disable the lights and leave the light switch in the "on" position to keep the lead hot. I don't like that idea. If the input to the USB plugs over the theater seats is 12v (the feed before it is stepped down to 5v or less) I can tap into those, but the problem is routing the wires.
Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #4

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
An easy fix for the cap lights is leave the switch on, or take it apart and wire around the switch.
Then buy some similar lights with a switch on the light.
Here's a Amazon search for "Switched rv ceiling lights interior"

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Switched+...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 08-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I found 12v connections already there in both the front and bedroom vents. Just take off the frame around the vent and they should be there. I wired 200mm super quiet computer case fans and put in a switch in the punch out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2333.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	32825

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	32826

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I found 12v connections already there in both the front and bedroom vents. Just take off the frame around the vent and they should be there. I wired 200mm super quiet computer case fans and put in a switch in the punch out.

Attachment 32825

Attachment 32826

That is pretty cool.... and nice job!

I'm going to hav to check my vent.... but what are they chances they wired all models with a plain vent that way?
Old 08-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post

Attachment 32825

Attachment 32826
Looks like you got lucky. I pulled the trim piece down oon my SV34. No wiring. Just solid aluminum support frames around the entire opening. I tried to pull back some of te ceiling but no wiring there either.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #8

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The only place you are going to be slose to power is the lights in the cab-over bunk. You're going to need to pull down the ceiling in the cab-over, tap into then light wiring and then see if you can feed it through the ceiling to the vent.

I think one person has done it. I thought about it but more work than benefit from my perspective.
yep, that was me.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...hlight=maxxair
The part that I did not show was drilling the hole through the aluminum and boring out a hole from the bunk side. You have to remove the curtain trim and track to be able to pull down the ceiling and access that area.
You can see the wire hanging down from the lights-there was plenty of wire to pull out and splice into it. I used those lights because I wanted a constant power source.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
RCS

THOR #24446
Gmthrust, Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I will see if I can make the same set up next time I get the rig out. Now that I know what to look for, it will (hopefully) be a quick fix.

I have replaced the theater seats with others much more comfortable and running a 120v power behind the seats was not very difficult.

After several trips over the last 6 months, the list of modifications just seems to keep growing!

Richard
Old 08-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
I went on to the roof and spliced power from the winegard and ran the wire across the roof, about a foot, and put eternabond tape over the wires.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Gmthrust, Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I will see if I can make the same set up next time I get the rig out. Now that I know what to look for, it will (hopefully) be a quick fix.

I have replaced the theater seats with others much more comfortable and running a 120v power behind the seats was not very difficult.

After several trips over the last 6 months, the list of modifications just seems to keep growing!

Richard
I also replaced the stock "theater sets" with a powered recliners, RecPro, and currently just dropped a short extension cord down from the cabinet above. How did you get your 120v power to the area? Later when I have more time I want to run a more permanent outlet. Thanks
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #12
RCS

THOR #24446
Chunker, I used the outlet above the front theater seat. Removed the outlet and there is a space above the bottom of cabinet and the inside floor of the cabinet to run wires. The outlet is a strange type with the wires pushed into v slots. I drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet and ran 14/2 wire from the outlet out the side of the cabinet and down the panel behind the passenger seat and then along the baseboard. There is not much exposed wire, but I covered that with black gaffers tape and it is not visible unless you are looking for it. I put in a surface mount outlet behind the middle of the seats. Sorry, I didn't take pictures but will try to get some next time I am out at the rig.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #13

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Chunker, I used the outlet above the front theater seat. Removed the outlet and there is a space above the bottom of cabinet and the inside floor of the cabinet to run wires. The outlet is a strange type with the wires pushed into v slots. I drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet and ran 14/2 wire from the outlet out the side of the cabinet and down the panel behind the passenger seat and then along the baseboard. There is not much exposed wire, but I covered that with black gaffers tape and it is not visible unless you are looking for it. I put in a surface mount outlet behind the middle of the seats. Sorry, I didn't take pictures but will try to get some next time I am out at the rig.
Thanks I follow your idea. That type receptacle is typical of RV 120v outlets. It's cheaper and faster although not necessarily better depending on who pushes the wires in and the contact the wires make.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #14

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Looks like you got lucky. I pulled the trim piece down oon my SV34. No wiring. Just solid aluminum support frames around the entire opening. I tried to pull back some of te ceiling but no wiring there either.
There was a gazillion feet of wires from the loft lights. Ok, I exaggerate, but, there was enough to pull it out and splice wire into it to run along the curtain trim and through the hole to the fan.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Quote:

Thanks,
Richard
RCS, I do not know about the Quantum, however the ACE front vent already has power lines. Discovered the wires are already there because a front vent fan was an option so they simply wired all of them even if they did not opt for the fan itself.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #16
RCS

THOR #24446
Dan, the Magnitude does not have any power to the front vent opening. It is manageable to run wires to the opening - from the front cap button lights, tap into the always hot wires, drill a hole through the metal vent casing and fish wires through the Styrofoam AC plenum - and wait for the MaxxAir unit to get back in stock so they can ship it to you! This was one of about 8 "to do's" that I am working on the rig this weekend.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #17

THOR #18758
Quote:
Dan, the Magnitude does not have any power to the front vent opening. It is manageable to run wires to the opening - from the front cap button lights, tap into the always hot wires, drill a hole through the metal vent casing and fish wires through the Styrofoam AC plenum - and wait for the MaxxAir unit to get back in stock so they can ship it to you! This was one of about 8 "to do's" that I am working on the rig this weekend.
One small note. You don't actually go through the AC plenum. The plenum just runs lengthwise on both sides, they don't connect to each other. So you are just going through some of the roof foam. I used my fiberglass wire fishing tool to poke through and bore out a small tunnel. Then used 1/2 inch wire loom.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #18

State: New York
THOR #21937
I also recently (about 2 weeks ago) removed the A/C in my bedroom and replaced it with a MAXX AIR vent with fan. It works so well, I p[lan on pulling out the other rooftop A/C and doing the same there. In fact, I may replace the bathroom vent and a mid-cabin vent that has no fan.

The bathroom vent is obviously pre-wired on my 1996 Columbus but none of the others are (the A/C units have only 120VAC, no 12VDC) however all the vents are within inches of an overhead 12VDC cabin light. Had to drill through some foam insulation but otherwise was pretty easy.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #19
RCS

THOR #24446
The MaxxAir fans are great, but I don't think we could bear the temperatures down here without our A/C. We use the vent fans mostly in reverse, they act like a ceiling fan.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #20

THOR #18758
If you choose to run the power from the lights, while you have it open, just unscrew the two screws holding the plastic frame the shade sits in and throw some insulation up there. Hard to see in the picture but each "trough" has a layer of batt insulation. I had enough left over to fill the area!
We'll see tomorrow if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	33005