Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2023, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
Mosquitos?!

Was down in the Everglades this past weekend and even though we were super careful about keeping the door and everything else closed we killed probably 50+ mosquitos thru the night. What was odd was that they'd keep showing up after we thought we'd gotten them all. Is there possibly an ingress into the house bug might be able to use like the shower drain? Im wondering if maybe they were coming up thru the sewer or something similar.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:12 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Probably through the slide seal area.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #3

THOR #20809
ugh.. that would suck.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:44 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
There are a lot of ways for bug and critters to get into your coach. You could park in a real dark place and turn on all the inside lights. Then look around from the outside and any place light show is a source of ingress for your troubles. You might be surprised how many you find.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #5

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
There are a lot of ways for bug and critters to get into your coach. You could park in a real dark place and turn on all the inside lights. Then look around from the outside and any place light show is a source of ingress for your troubles. You might be surprised how many you find.
what a great idea! Im feeling a little foolish for not having thought of that myself thank you sir!
Old 05-05-2023, 01:34 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #29103
The biggest gaps I've found (so far) have been where the floor of the Ford cab meets the house floor, especially where the floor meets the side wall. Most of the gap was covered with the floor mat, but the edges had factory holes that were large enough to see out through. I've since filled it in with spray foam, which helped with road noise. I've thought that it would have been a great way for bees looking for a nesting spot; didn't even think about mosquitos.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:15 AM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I'm not sure if this works - but we think it does.
Since blood sucking bugs hone in on their prey by following the CO2, we shut all windows etc. Then turn on the fans. It sure does attract the bugs. We still get some - but not as many as when we don't turn on the fans.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We have found this to work very well for $7.
We have 2 golden retrievers so no issues.
Before turning in We spray this around the coach and under slide. Also any windows or fans open they see light and come in.
I did experiment and lightly sprayed around window screen and fan areas and significant reduction in moths and mosquitoes.

Good luck.

Also Flys disappear when we spray low to ground while sitting outside camper.

Tested on ants and hives works 100%

Kills ants, roaches, flies, mosquitoes and other listed insects

Bio-selective technology

No harsh chemical odor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230505_034934_Chrome.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	41861  
Old 05-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If your wall slide is schwintek then you’ve got at least 3 deep slots that the slide runs on (rollers). Since I felt cool air from the AC coming out they need plugged up. So I cut 6” sections of 4” pool noodles to place in the gaps after I slide out. Seals it up. Just got to remember to pull them out before retracting slide.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:10 PM   #10

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
If your wall slide is schwintek then you’ve got at least 3 deep slots that the slide runs on (rollers). Since I felt cool air from the AC coming out they need plugged up. So I cut 6” sections of 4” pool noodles to place in the gaps after I slide out. Seals it up. Just got to remember to pull them out before retracting slide.
Great idea ..
I would not remember and ruin the slide 😒
Old 05-05-2023, 04:12 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Interesting product Scuba, we use a similar product, Permethrin, which also uses the active ingredients from Geraniums. Zemo used to contain a small amount of Cinnamon oil along with the Gerinol, white mineral oil, and CO2. Tempo is our go to products for insects for the most part but not when they are flying.

They (PG) make a repellent you apply to skin that works also.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Interesting product Scuba, we use a similar product, Permethrin, which also uses the active ingredients from Geraniums. Zemo used to contain a small amount of Cinnamon oil along with the Gerinol, white mineral oil, and CO2. Tempo is our go to products for insects for the most part but not when they are flying.

They (PG) make a repellent you apply to skin that works also.
Yes I have tested for years.
We were in an over night city park once and when we backed in someone left fries etc all over.
Ant and ant hills all over.
Big black ants.
Lora freaked out trying to sit or have dogs out.

Used the ant spray and in 30 minutes most dead or left.
Sprayed inside ant hole and all died.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:29 PM   #13

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
we had a significant entry through the vent in the bathroom. with the vent open, the screen does not seal well. our solution is to close that vent when needed. our other two vents were not so badly sealed, but we close those when in heavy mosquito conditions too.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:52 PM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
we had a significant entry through the vent in the bathroom. with the vent open, the screen does not seal well. our solution is to close that vent when needed. our other two vents were not so badly sealed, but we close those when in heavy mosquito conditions too.
Yes that area is open to the blood suckers.
I spray a little of my stuff up there and ok to leave vents open.

If on roof before dusk I spray from up there and it works great.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:07 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I use permethrin around the house for stink bugs. I keep a small spray bottle in the motorhome when traveling.

lwmcguir - do you mind posting a couple pics of your pool noodle fix? I'd like to try that!
Old 05-07-2023, 03:18 PM   #16

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I use permethrin around the house for stink bugs. I keep a small spray bottle in the motorhome when traveling.

lwmcguir - do you mind posting a couple pics of your pool noodle fix? I'd like to try that!
Here’s a pic of the 6” pool noodles sections sealing my slide roller channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F4DE542-6F05-4B5C-8D5C-7E00249E8638.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	41883  
Old 05-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Here’s a pic of the 6” pool noodles sections sealing my slide roller channels.
Why is thaty section even open? The rollers ride on the metal sheets like the one to the right of your noodle.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #18

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
Why is thaty section even open? The rollers ride on the metal sheets like the one to the right of your noodle.

The bedroom slide runs on the metal plates. This is under sofa/dinette slide. It rolls in and out on channel tracks. 3 to be precise. And it lets air & bugs in between slide and floor
Old 05-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Offer Then Sex

When we know we are going to a heavily wooded area or an area known to have mosquitoes I go out in the shed and get our electric bug zapper and pack it in the RV basement. Then if we find a flying bug issue of any kind I plug it in about 20 feet away from the RV and it draws all the flyers right to it instead of in the coach. I found that adding a pheromonal packet (Sex attractant) for mosquitoes to the zapper trap draws them in by the thousands. After a couple nights of using it, no more nighttime bugs at all.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #20

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
When we know we are going to a heavily wooded area or an area known to have mosquitoes I go out in the shed and get our electric bug zapper and pack it in the RV basement. Then if we find a flying bug issue of any kind I plug it in about 20 feet away from the RV and it draws all the flyers right to it instead of in the coach. I found that adding a pheromonal packet (Sex attractant) for mosquitoes to the zapper trap draws them in by the thousands. After a couple nights of using it, no more nighttime bugs at all.
I have one of those for the home. Never added an attractant, will have to try. I like the idea of packing one in the rv also. Thank you!