Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: BH35
State: Georgia
THOR #21853
Slide will not extend

2020 Thor Omni
Neither slide will extend
Engine on
Brake set
Jacked and leveled
Nothing

Old 01-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that your first post has to be about a problem.
Can you check the slide controllers, and see if they're flashing an error code?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
I know it varies from model to model, but on my rig, the slides will not extend when the engine is running. It must be turned off.

Welcome to our campfire. I hope your solution is that simple.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Are you plugged into shore power by any chance? If not try plugging into shore power or running the generator.

Shortly after I purchased my 2020 Magnitude SV34 I had a similar issue when boondocking. After extensive troubleshooting after having the slide not extending plus crazy voltage readings on the FireFly paenel, I determined the BIM160 (Battery Isolation Manager) was not wired correctly. As a result, the house batteries were not being charged by the alternator properly and the voltage wasn't being reported properly when the engine was running so the slide was thinking the house battery voltage was too low and the slide motors would not kick on.

If I was on shore power or running the generator, the slide would work just fine. If you don't have AC power, try that and if the slide starts working I can tell you what to look for with then BIM160.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
I know it varies from model to model, but on my rig, the slides will not extend when the engine is running. It must be turned off.

Welcome to our campfire. I hope your solution is that simple.
Just an FYI.... The Omni / Magnitude need to have the engine running for the slide and for the levelers as well. The full wall slide is very big and heavy and requires enough voltage for the motors to engage and run properly.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just an FYI.... The Omni / Magnitude need to have the engine running for the slide and for the levelers as well. The full wall slide is very big and heavy and requires enough voltage for the motors to engage and run properly.
Good to know. Thanks!
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The dance routine needs to be a known item. In our Tiffin: it's engine on for the levelers, but only the ignition switch needs to be on for the slides...
Old 01-19-2021, 02:18 AM   #8

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
I concur with Judge. Happened to me once-battery voltage got too low. My BIM was wired correctly, operator error in letting batteries drain.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The dance routine needs to be a known item. In our Tiffin: it's engine on for the levelers, but only the ignition switch needs to be on for the slides...
And when you change rigs the dance changes. I went from engine running for jacks to engine stopped and key off for everything to include jacks and slides. Prior coach wouldn't start with a slide extended on this rig I can actually drive the coach with a slide extended. Different manufacturers do different things just like the playbooks across a league, every team has their own.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:47 AM   #10

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Are you plugged into shore power by any chance? If not try plugging into shore power or running the generator.

Shortly after I purchased my 2020 Magnitude SV34 I had a similar issue when boondocking. After extensive troubleshooting after having the slide not extending plus crazy voltage readings on the FireFly paenel, I determined the BIM160 (Battery Isolation Manager) was not wired correctly. As a result, the house batteries were not being charged by the alternator properly and the voltage wasn't being reported properly when the engine was running so the slide was thinking the house battery voltage was too low and the slide motors would not kick on.

If I was on shore power or running the generator, the slide would work just fine. If you don't have AC power, try that and if the slide starts working I can tell you what to look for with then BIM160.
Mine did the same thing. I had to wait for the voltage to come up with the engine on and the e-brake on. I also had it happen one time when I didn't have the ebrake down far enough.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #11

Model: BH35
State: Georgia
THOR #21853
I checked all that y’all suggested and still no movement
Had to go to the shop, 2 new motors on order but headed out this weekend with the large slide in
Thanks everyone, shits gonna happen and I read all these posts
Thanks again
Carabelle Beach here we come
Be safe y’all
Old 01-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova350 View Post
Had to go to the shop, 2 new motors on order but headed out this weekend with the large slide in
Thanks again
Be safe y’all
When my SV34 was at the Thor Service Center two months ago, the rear slide motor failed when they were doing other work for me. They replaced it but I ordered a spare to carry on Amazon (price already went up $10 since I bought it November).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My slide was giving me no problems so it was worrisome it just failed without warning. It does not look too difficult to replace but...... it can take four or 5 people to manually push it partially open or closed to get access to swap it out. It is a very big and heavy slide.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova350 View Post
Thanks again
Be safe y’all
So you had all four motors go out? Wow. When one of my motors plug came undone, the other motor kicked in but immediately stopped. There was movement of one motor momentarily. Crazy if all of yours went out.
Did you check the plugs on the motors?-Ours (XG32) are easy to see when the slides are in. There's an RV tech on youtube, My RV Works, who has videos on how to check each component. Wealth of information on his site.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
2020 Hurricane 33x is the same way, engine and park brake on for slides and levelers.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
So you had all four motors go out? Wow. When one of my motors plug came undone, the other motor kicked in but immediately stopped. There was movement of one motor momentarily. Crazy if all of yours went out.
Did you check the plugs on the motors?-Ours (XG32) are easy to see when the slides are in. There's an RV tech on youtube, My RV Works, who has videos on how to check each component. Wealth of information on his site.

As I understand it, there are only two motors at the top of each end of the slide.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #16

THOR #18758
Quote:
As I understand it, there are only two motors at the top of each end of the slide.
Yes, you are correct. That is why I say four (two on each slide), because I thought he said neither slide would extend.
And if you've seen at the top of each slide what looks like screws that have been screwed through the rubber outer seal, leaving only a view of a hole and a bulge where the screw is-that's the screws that hold the motors in place.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Yes, you are correct. That is why I say four (two on each slide), because I thought he said neither slide would extend.
And if you've seen at the top of each slide what looks like screws that have been screwed through the rubber outer seal, leaving only a view of a hole and a bulge where the screw is-that's the screws that hold the motors in place.

I was just assuming his larger slide was not working.... not both slides. I missed that the OP said neither slide was working at the begnning of his post.... but he then said the dealer ordered two motors.

If the dealer is saying that one motor on each slide failed, I would bet the house the dealer mis-daignosed the OP's problem!

If it is not a voltage issue, then I would bet it is an issue with the FireFly (or Rapid Camp) Multiplex system. I assume that there is a controller for each slide so I doubt it is a slide controller issuer. Unless one controller is handling both slides.... then that could be the other possibility. But you would have about the same chance of winning the PowerBall as having a motor fail on two different slides at the same time.

If he really only has an issue with one slide, then I could buy a motor failure.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #18

THOR #18758
[QUOTE=Judge;273206]I was just assuming his larger slide was not working.... not both slides. I missed that the OP said neither slide was working at the begnning of his post.... but he then said the dealer ordered two motors.

If the dealer is saying that one motor on each slide failed, I would bet the house the dealer mis-daignosed the OP's problem!

If it is not a voltage issue, then I would bet it is an issue with the FireFly (or Rapid Camp) Multiplex system. I assume that there is a controller for each slide so I doubt it is a slide controller issuer. Unless one controller is handling both slides.... then that could be the other possibility. But you would have about the same chance of winning the PowerBall as having a motor fail on two different slides at the same time.
/QUOTE]
That’s what I’m thinking (FireFly issue). Maybe he should play Powerball
Old 01-23-2021, 08:11 PM   #19

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Mine will not extend or retract with the keys in the ignition, try pulling your keys
Old 01-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Mine will not extend or retract with the keys in the ignition, try pulling your keys

The Omni and Magntudes require the engine be running to extend or retract the slides.