Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3401
Never Ending Issues with Axis 24.1

Well we have had some nice days recently here in upstate NY and of course so wish to be able to finally use my Axis. As many of you may remember I have owned this unit since 2014, purchased new and to date has only placed 4,400 miles. Most, nearly all are back and forth to the dealership for issues and twice had to make the trip to the factory for many issues. So, back to my getting hopeful for usage this year, so went to start engine and engine light comes on and remains on. I also needed to place a battery charger on the auto battery side to get started. Now I have started both the generator and vehicle motor often during these winter periods and did not have any special issues. Well guess my luck has run out. Unit has a Ford motor and equipment, but local Ford dealership does not handle these units. Do believe I have followed all the recommended procedures for storing for periods, but as might be expected with this unit and Thor itself cannot be more frustrated with Thor and this unit. Anyone have some suggestions? I am sure Thor prefer not to ever hear from me again.

Thanks to all Jim.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRohan View Post
Well we have had some nice days recently here in upstate NY and of course so wish to be able to finally use my Axis. As many of you may remember I have owned this unit since 2014, purchased new and to date has only placed 4,400 miles. Most, nearly all are back and forth to the dealership for issues and twice had to make the trip to the factory for many issues. So, back to my getting hopeful for usage this year, so went to start engine and engine light comes on and remains on. I also needed to place a battery charger on the auto battery side to get started. Now I have started both the generator and vehicle motor often during these winter periods and did not have any special issues. Well guess my luck has run out. Unit has a Ford motor and equipment, but local Ford dealership does not handle these units. Do believe I have followed all the recommended procedures for storing for periods, but as might be expected with this unit and Thor itself cannot be more frustrated with Thor and this unit. Anyone have some suggestions? I am sure Thor prefer not to ever hear from me again.

Thanks to all Jim.
JRohan,
Sorry to hear your frustrations. I can only offer my humble opinion here. I am guessing that your Axis is not garaged and is facing the winter elements which are very hard on a battery that is not being used regularly, especially if it is the battery on the chassis that came with your unit. Starting the engine periodically helps, but most likely does not charge up the battery adequately. I would permanently install a battery trickle charger and leave it plugged in while the unit is parked. As far as the check engine light is concerned, like all the modern computer moduled vehicles, it could be just about anything and the only way to nail it down is with a qualified mechanic that can hook up the OBDII reader (on board diagnostics) and identify the problem. You are correct as to which Ford dealers will service the Ford chassis you have which is probably the E350. Everyone faces this dilemma and is just one reason why we didn't purchase a Mercedes Sprinter based coach. It is obvious to say that a RV is not without frustrations, work, study and need for patience. Hang in there and hope things get better for you.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I know about the Ford dealer issues as well: I even called Ford who gave me a couple of dealers to try...no dice. If I remember correctly I just started calling all the Ford dealers nearby until one said "sure bring it in" (I think it ended up being a chain: dealer A said "nope, we can't do it but I thought dealer B could" dealer B: "Don't know how they got that idea, but try C"..I think it took 4 calls before one said "sure bring it in!")

If you have a pretty big list of things to fix, and are willing to take a drive you could try Thor's factory service. Mine is sitting there right now being worked on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRohan View Post

....cut.... Well guess my luck has run out. Unit has a Ford motor and equipment, but local Ford dealership does not handle these units. ....cut....
Apparently some things don't change much. My first motorhome nearly 20 years ago couldn't be worked on by local Ford dealer because it was too large to fit in bays; and it was only about 24-feet long. Having a brake job required taking it to a Ford-recommended truck shop about an hour away, where we left it overnight. Next day we had to drive back to pick it up.

Sorry I have no suggestion for you other than what Jamie stated about calling around. I have to agree it's a pain, and one of the reasons a Class B is appealing to me. The last two repairs on my van over the last 7 months were done after I showed up unannounced early in morning and got in line with auto customers at a Ford dealer in Florida -- and only a few miles away. It would be great if larger RVs could be serviced and repaired as easily, but that's not likely. It's part of (future) Class A ownership I expect but don't look forward to.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you tried calling Ford Motorhome Roadside Assistance and asking them for a dealer nearby that can service your MH? Their number is 800-444-3311.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
On your engine light, I have had a problem with the engine light coming on at random, usually when I am in very wet or humid conditions. I have a Scan Guage, so each time it has happened (3 in 8000 miles) I have been able to read the code (the same one) and reset the light. The code turns out to be an oxygen sensor and nothing wrong with the engine, so I just reset it when it happens. I am not saying that your light goes on for the same reason as mine, but that if you borrow or buy a scan guage, you can at least find read out the code and see if it seems to be a major issue or one that you might get replaced at your leisure. I like the scan guage for the info it provides on fuel consumption, but I love it for the capability to read out engine fault codes and the ability to turn off the engine light and reset the system - especially when I am on the road, far from home.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #7

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Go to your nearest Harbor Freight store and pick up a OBDll scanner. I think they have them around 20 to 30 bucks. I bet your code might have to do with the battery being so low.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #8

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
I took my Outlaw 29h to a Ford Commercial Truck center. Luckily we have an excellent Big Truck center here in St. Louis (although it does require a trip downtown in city of St. Louis) to get my oil changes and a chassis alignment. They did an excellent job, and did a through check of all the engine components. They seemed to take a high amount of pride in taking care of these big engines and know all there is to know about them.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote