Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2021, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
New To Us Magnitude - Slide Issue

Hello all -
We are new owners of a “new to us” 2021 Magnitude SV34 with less than 3k miles. I’ve been lurking a bit here on the forum prior to buying this rig 5 days ago. Lots of great info here so I knew what we were getting into and hope to contribute as we get things dialed in and fixed.

We drove it home 600 miles last Monday/Tuesday and have had a few issues but I LOVE, Love the ride and drive of the F550 compared to our previous 2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree on the E450 w V-10 (the old coach was very good, reliable and well built)

Issues so far:
* Slide worked fine when doing the walk-though with private seller but now only operates after performing a controller over-ride whether going in or out - (throws a 8 red, 2 green code) so I know that is “wire short between motor and controller on motor #2.
* Broken hinge on cabinet door in bedroom (will replace this weekend)
* Loose awning arm just like RCS just posted recently (will adjust this weekend)

Questions so far:
* Can I use the over-ride code 2 more times (in and out once) so we can can go camping for the Labor Day weekend?
* Could slide issue be the controller?
* Does anyone know what is the most likely spot for a “Wire short between motor and controller”?
* Which slide motor is #1 and which one is #2?

Thanks for any feedback - We really want to get out next weekend and go camping in our new rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	667CD0A6-03D8-403F-9E8C-7D53C38479E8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	33131  

Old 08-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm not sure I would keep using the Override feature... unless you are very dillegent about making sure the slide is closing and opening evenly. Otherwise, you risk the slide getting out of sync enough that it could damage the slide meachanism. The full wall slide is big and heavy and it is imperative it stays in sync to prevent damage to the tracks, gears, etc.

So I have posted numerous times about Thor incorrectly wiring the BIM 160 (Battery Isolation Manager) and it wreaking havoc with the slide. I have also posted a thread about a similar slide issue as yours that I had with my SV34.

Here are some things to look at in your case.

BIM Wiring Issue

The previous owner may or may not have fixed this problem. It is doubtful the dealer or Thor did because Thor's schematics are incorrect.

Here is what I would do first before tracing down a possible Controller, wiring harness or motor problem:

- Either plug into shore power or start the generator (you normally do not need to do this but this step determines if you have the BIM wiring problem).

- Wait two minutes until the Con verter starts boosting the house batteries

- Start the coach and try then try the slide to see if it will extend and retract without a problem.

- If the slide seems to be working properly, pull the shore power or shut down the generator. Then try the slide again a few times and see if you start having issues again.

If your slide works ok when on shore or generator problem, then it is the BIM wiring issue and i have several posts on the Forum about it.

If the slide is still not working properly, then there could be other issues and we can start looking for the root cause.

Motor or Harness Issue

Motor #1 should be the front and motor #2 should be the rear... but you will learn with Thor anything is possible.

This error code means that the Controller cannot properly measure the revolutions of the #2 motor to keep it synced to the #1 motor.

If you can get the slide completely closed, I would first check to make sure the wiring harness is firmly plugged into both motors. Access to the motors are from inside the coach and at the top of the slide along the wall. You might need to remove or pull back the bulb seal to access the connecor but usually it is visible without doing that.

I would pull the connectors, reseat them, and then see if you still get the error codes and have problems. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I would do the following:

- Pull the bulb seal back so you can see the top of the motor where the wires enter the top of the motor. There will be a white plastic cap at the top of the motor where the wires enter it.

- Inspect those wires to look for any broken wires or chaffing. If one of those wires is pinched, chaffed, broken, etc. then the Controller is not getting the feedback from the motor to meaure its RPM's and the trips the error code.

I had a similar problem with my SV34 and it was caused by a screw in the slide box improperly installed and sticking out about 1/4". It was eventually caused the plastic top of the #2 motor to come off and it damaged the circuit board at the top of the motor measuring the RPM's. In my case I had to replace the slide motor.

- If you don't see anything obvious, then it could be a bad motor or it could be a bad wiring harness.

- You can then try swapping the Motor #1 and Motor #2 cables at the Controller to see if the error code changes to indicate Motor #1 when you operate the slide. If the code now indicates a Motor #1 issue, then the Controller is likely fine and it is either the #2 motor or wiring harness.

I keep a spare 30' motor wiring harness on hand that I can connect to the motor and run out a window to the Controller to troubleshoot these types of issues to verify a harness issue versus a motor issue. You would need to order a cable on Amazon to do that next step of troubleshooting. I also carry a spare 500:1 slide motor as well.

There is one other thing that may be worth trying if you do an override and get the slide completely closed. If the previous owner was not holding the Extend and Retract buttons for 3 - 5 seconds after the slide motors stop everytime they opened and closed the slide, then the slide could be out of sync.

I would try the resync procedure..... extend the slide until it stops and hold the Extend button for 3 - 5 seconds. Retract the slide 6 inches... stop... and then fully extend it again and hold the Extend button for 3 - 5 seconds. Do this 3 or 4 times. Then try to close the slide.... make sure it looks like it closes evenly.... hold the Retract button for 3 - 5 seconds when the motors stop after close.. and then check for error codes.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #24580
Thanks Judge!
This gives me renewed confidence, I will run through these steps later this morning or tomorrow morning. Managing the desert heat hear in PHX area and its headed for 107° Today but going to start cooling off after today.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Ottosails:
Welcome to the Forum
That is one beautiful coach

We all hope that you can overcome the full-wall-slide issue, along with the inevitable front-cap issue on your Magnitude coach

Please keep us posted on getting those two issues corrected
Old 08-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. You have a great coach and Judge knows his stuff when it comes to slide issues on it.

Paul
Old 08-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #6

THOR #24580
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #7

THOR #24580
Hey Judge –
I went through the list of suggestions you so graciously provided.
1) Slide is currently fully in and appears to be even on both sides.
2) Checked all connections at motors and controller and all appear good, no signs of pinching, chaffing, breaks etc.
3) Leveled the coach manually as you have suggested elsewhere (hadn’t thought of that but it makes perfect sense), didn’t need much as my storage lot is pretty level.
4) Had the generator running and waited till the converter was boosting batteries - It beeps when it kicks in and the panel shows 13.3 to 13.7
5) Attempted to run the slide out and it went out evenly about 4 – 6” and stopped, ran it back in and it is fully in again an appears even on both sides viewing from outside.
6) The error code shows 8/2
7) Reversed connections at the controller and attempted to run out again, same thing, runs out 4 – 6” and stops but now code reads 8/1 so it may be motor #2 or the wiring harness. (Interesting thing here, when connections are reversed extend become retract and retract becomes extend at the panel)

Next steps: (Tomorrow morning when it’s under 100 degrees)
1) Check at the bottom of the wiring chase (bottom of slide) to see if anything may be pinched there.
2) Try to run slide out one more time with override and see if a re-sync is possible.
3) Today I’ll order the wiring harness bypass cable and a spare motor (500:1) – any tips on that 30’ cable? – seems pretty straight forward on Amazon – anything special I need to know?

Thanks again for getting me this far!

Tom
Old 08-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Hey Judge –
I went through the list of suggestions you so graciously provided.
1) Slide is currently fully in and appears to be even on both sides.
2) Checked all connections at motors and controller and all appear good, no signs of pinching, chaffing, breaks etc.
3) Leveled the coach manually as you have suggested elsewhere (hadn’t thought of that but it makes perfect sense), didn’t need much as my storage lot is pretty level.
4) Had the generator running and waited till the converter was boosting batteries - It beeps when it kicks in and the panel shows 13.3 to 13.7
5) Attempted to run the slide out and it went out evenly about 4 – 6” and stopped, ran it back in and it is fully in again an appears even on both sides viewing from outside.
6) The error code shows 8/2
7) Reversed connections at the controller and attempted to run out again, same thing, runs out 4 – 6” and stops but now code reads 8/1 so it may be motor #2 or the wiring harness. (Interesting thing here, when connections are reversed extend become retract and retract becomes extend at the panel)

Next steps: (Tomorrow morning when it’s under 100 degrees)
1) Check at the bottom of the wiring chase (bottom of slide) to see if anything may be pinched there.
2) Try to run slide out one more time with override and see if a re-sync is possible.
3) Today I’ll order the wiring harness bypass cable and a spare motor (500:1) – any tips on that 30’ cable? – seems pretty straight forward on Amazon – anything special I need to know?

Thanks again for getting me this far!

Tom
Here is what I got..... it is long enough to troubleshoot the front or back motor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the motor.... but you might be able to find it cheaper on eBay and there are some third-party options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It sounds like the slide is out of sync if it is stopping after 6 inches. You are on the right path checking the wiring and then using a spare cable and / or motor to troubleshoot.

I think your Controller is fine based on the test of switching the cables. The reversing of the buttons is normal and there are DIP switches on the Controller to change direction.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #9

THOR #24580
You’re the best Judge -

I ordered the parts and will try to sync tomorrow.
Hopefully someday our paths cross out on the road so we can thank you in person over a beer or breakfast or such. :-)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:04 AM   #10

THOR #24580
Hey Judge - I’m guessing you guys are somewhere in the Glacier area by now…. How awesome, love seeing the updates. I so wish we were on a road trip right now, we’ll head to the AZ Mongollon rim this weekend to get away into the cooler ponderosa pines at Fool Hollow CG in Show Low.

Update on the slide issue; tried the 35’ work around cable today direct from controller to Motor #2 rear - No go, same as before 8/2 code. I have a new controller and motor left to try (both on hand). I’m thinking of trying the controller next as it’s the path of least resistance. Thoughts?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2021, 01:36 AM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Hey Judge - I’m guessing you guys are somewhere in the Glacier area by now…. How awesome, love seeing the updates. I so wish we were on a road trip right now, we’ll head to the AZ Mongollon rim this weekend to get away into the cooler ponderosa pines at Fool Hollow CG in Show Low.

Update on the slide issue; tried the 35’ work around cable today direct from controller to Motor #2 rear - No go, same as before 8/2 code. I have a new controller and motor left to try (both on hand). I’m thinking of trying the controller next as it’s the path of least resistance. Thoughts?
Thanks
We are in East Glacier NP as of late yesterday and just got back from the Going to the Sun Road. Unbelieveable views!!!!!! Haven't had time to update my thread yet but hopefully tomorrow.

The Controller will be the easiest thing to try..... but I am going to guess it is the motor.

Let us know what you find after swapping the Controller.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:48 AM   #12

THOR #24580
So cool Judge, the delayed update on the trip means you're busy enjoying and smelling the roses, nice. We rode by that area our motorcycle on the East side of Glacier NP coming South from Banff a few years ago but had to abandon the plan to spend more time due to weather. That area is on our list for more “Wandering” when time allows.

Will try controller first - Can I replace the motor from inside? Seems accessible from inside.

The good thing is that we will have many crucial parts onboard if needed in the future - Spare wire harness, motor and controller - LOL.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:

Will try controller first - Can I replace the motor from inside? Seems accessible from inside.

The good thing is that we will have many crucial parts onboard if needed in the future - Spare wire harness, motor and controller - LOL.

Thanks!

The motor is replaced from the inside. The slide needs to be only partially closed because you have to remove the slide motor retaining screw, which is outside. The screw is located on the top of the wipe-seal at.the very top opposite of where the motor is located on the inside.

I carry a spare mote, controller and wiring harness so I can try to deal with some possible slide issues on the road.... so you now have some spares as well.

My guess is that it will be the motor and either the wiriing going into the motor or the control board under the plastic cap at the top of the motor.