Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
DWM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #19347
newbie towing question

I'm looking at a Mazda Miata 2013 automatic to tow behind my new Chateau 24BL Class C motorhome.
Several questions:
1-This is an automatic...can it be towed?
2-What is the best way to do this?
3-Chateau is a Mercedes Diesel - what does this add to gas mileage (just curious)?
4-Is this a good choice to have as a small car to get around (Chateau only 3 months old and already had to rent car to get around cities rather than use motorhome)?
5-Also any comments and help.

[also have been looking at some manual transmissions, but this one has an automatic-I'm looking at]

Thanks Forumn

Old 09-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Check the owners manual of the Miata or at least check the old issues of Motorhome Magazine. They do a pretty good job of listing what is towable and the limits of each toad. Check the weight of the Miata against the GCWR minus the weight of the fully laden coach. If the Miata is less than that answer, then, theoretically, you can tow it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Miata is a great little car; but I'm not sure about towing it four-down. The automatic tranny might be the sticking point.
Perhaps putting it on a trailer would solve any issues that crop up.
EDIT: A quick Google search says "No".
Sorry...
Old 09-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d worry about finding and attaching a tow bar too. I don’t think it would be an easy installation on the Miata I had and once done it would be very low relative to most RV hitches. If, as Bob suggests, it is not recommended for towing I think maybe you have your answer. Sorry.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I think you need a manual tranny
(However, BlueOx does have a towing baseplate available for Miata)

But you can always modify to drop/disconnect the rear axel shaft. There are kits available for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF1707EF-6BA3-4DDE-AE4A-974CC0B05C6A.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	25989  
Old 09-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
I'm looking at a Mazda Miata 2013 automatic to tow behind my new Chateau 24BL Class C motorhome.
Several questions:
1-This is an automatic...can it be towed?
2-What is the best way to do this?
3-Chateau is a Mercedes Diesel - what does this add to gas mileage (just curious)?
4-Is this a good choice to have as a small car to get around (Chateau only 3 months old and already had to rent car to get around cities rather than use motorhome)?
5-Also any comments and help.

[also have been looking at some manual transmissions, but this one has an automatic-I'm looking at]

Thanks Forumn
If you want to tow a Miata MX-5 with automatic, it is best to use a drive shaft disconnect <https://www.remcodsc.com/application-chart/>. Amazon.com has the base plates and of course the tow bars. Then you need lights or diodes plus a brake system for you toad.

As for fuel mileage, yes, your coach will use more fuel because of the extra weight. Typically it will be around 10% percent for a light coach like yours.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:40 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My coach drops by just about 20%
But I've got a Sprinter chassis with just a 3.0 liter oil-burner up front...
Old 09-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We towed our 2002 MIata for around 50,000 miles and our current 2011 Miata for over 10,000 so far. Miatas are light and lots of fun to drive, if you don't need more than 2 seats. An old ad said "More smiles per mile!"

I did a lot of internet research before setting our 2002 up to tow. Six speed trannys only, absolutely not an automatic and the 5 speed is questionable. Mazda says you can't tow them period but our experience and that of others defies that. There is likely not enough room for a transmission disconnect. It's pretty tight under there.

I don't believe there is a baseplate available for a Miata newer than 2011. Our 2002 had a Blue Ox baseplate and the 2011 has a Roadmaster. I had a shop do the install on both.

When we towed behind our 33' Class A, it needed a 4" drop in the hitch. Our Vegas is lower and the drop is not necessary.

An alternative fun car would be a Mini Cooper. The Miata and the Cooper are both short, so a trailer is an option, but that adds to the total weight. Our Miata is 157" and the Mini is even less.

Excellent resource is Motorhome Magazine's free online downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides. Listed by model year and it tells you specifically which models are towable.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #9

State: Massachusetts
THOR #20580
Deciding which vehicle to tow is not an easy one. The best way to do that is to look up the car the Dingy Towing guide on the Motorhomes website. If/When you see a car you like, look it up in the guide, which is separated by year. So, if you like the Miata, go to the year of the car (ex., 2014) to see if it is towable. If not, you could damage the car's engine.

It took me quite some time to find a toad that way, but it was worth it.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You can always put them up on a trailer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuff View Post
Deciding which vehicle to tow is not an easy one. The best way to do that is to look up the car the Dingy Towing guide on the Motorhomes website. If/When you see a car you like, look it up in the guide, which is separated by year. So, if you like the Miata, go to the year of the car (ex., 2014) to see if it is towable. If not, you could damage the car's engine.

The guides are a good place to start, but before plunking down the money, verify the capability in the owners' manual - that's the bottom line for "as built" towing capability. Of course driveshaft disconnects and trailers won't necessarily be covered.

And generally, the transmission is damaged long before the engine; although there have been reports of both being burnt up by people that did not follow/check/double-check the manufacturer's towing procedure.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #19474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuff View Post

Here:

https://www.motorhome.com/download-d...22661_09172020

As stated, however, after you make a selection, verify in owner's manual. A universal guide like this could contain errors.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Towing

Find a used Scion XB manual and get it set up with Blue ox plates etc. It is light weight and easy to hook up with the Blue Ox System. Mine now has 220000 miles and still going.

alajeu
Old 09-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Miata

That would be a no.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:14 AM   #15

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
I have always towed my jeep on a car trailer with no problems and no wear and tear on the jeep. Every place we stay has had a spot to store the trailer for us. I think it is the easiest way and I can take any vehicle I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You can always put them up on a trailer...