Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2022, 01:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
Odd inverter behavior and in need of a calmer mind

Dont know if Im having a brain fart or what but my Inverter seems to remain on even after I throw the main house power switch. Previously throwing that switch shuts everything down in the coach. I noticed the panel was still lit after shutting the main and pressing the power button on the panel didnt have an effect. After few button presses etc I noticed a load draw of 130w. Looking around the coach I found my fridge still had power even though the main was off. Nothing else in the coach had power. I turned the know inside the fridge to OFF and the load went to zero but the Xantrex panel remained powered. Not sure what going on. Here's the kicker. All this happened immediately after a day of the Main Power being left on and the house drawing the batteries to 8.4v. The Xantrex panel was doing a weird reboot thing that whole time. Maybe I damaged it? I've since run the gennie and coach engine to recharge the house batteries at least until I can swap them out but the panel remains on. Anyone ever see anything like this? Any help would be much appreciated. Im in Sarasota getting ready to bug out if necessary and getting the rig and family ready if it gets ugly.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The inverter is powered by a separate connection to the house batteries than the Master Power Switch.

The Inverter has it's own power ON/OFF button.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:09 AM   #3

THOR #20809
ok, so that goes against what I remember but honestly right now I've got a lot going on and could easily be remembering wrong. Is there a trick to turning off the inverter? Hold the power button down for so many seconds or something? Just pressing it does not seem to do anything. Thank you btw.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
ok, so that goes against what I remember but honestly right now I've got a lot going on and could easily be remembering wrong. Is there a trick to turning off the inverter? Hold the power button down for so many seconds or something? Just pressing it does not seem to do anything. Thank you btw.
My inverter has 2 control panels, one inside and one outside on the inverter. The power button on the inverter panel must be off for the inside panel’s power button to work.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:31 AM   #5

THOR #20809
I'll check as time and weather allows. Whats very odd to me is that I am certain the fridge would be without power when I'd shut off the main and Im also certain that hitting the button on the xantrex panel to shut down the inverter (if it worked) has never been a part of my routine. Its possible that something stored in the bay where the inverter lives hit a button in there changing the behavior of the panel but that doesnt change that the fridge would go off line when I hit the main. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 35MQ
THOR #21743
I have had similar issues with trying to figure out the inverter. I still haven't found the power button on the inverter box in the cargo area, but the button inside my coach seems to work. Out for off, pushed in for on. Hard to tell though. There is delay in the operation once the button is pushed.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Dont know if Im having a brain fart or what but my Inverter seems to remain on even after I throw the main house power switch. Previously throwing that switch shuts everything down in the coach. I noticed the panel was still lit after shutting the main and pressing the power button on the panel didnt have an effect. After few button presses etc I noticed a load draw of 130w. Looking around the coach I found my fridge still had power even though the main was off. Nothing else in the coach had power. I turned the know inside the fridge to OFF and the load went to zero but the Xantrex panel remained powered. Not sure what going on. Here's the kicker. All this happened immediately after a day of the Main Power being left on and the house drawing the batteries to 8.4v. The Xantrex panel was doing a weird reboot thing that whole time. Maybe I damaged it? I've since run the gennie and coach engine to recharge the house batteries at least until I can swap them out but the panel remains on. Anyone ever see anything like this? Any help would be much appreciated. Im in Sarasota getting ready to bug out if necessary and getting the rig and family ready if it gets ugly.
Each Thor MC factory seems to use different models of inverters and install them differently. If it is a Xantrex Pro, it will have a separate 12 volt circuit breaker near the house battery compartment. The inverter will not be connected to the 12 volt section of the power center in any way. The on/off switch will work anytime there is 12 volt power applied to the inverter.
The on/off switch Xantrex Freedom Xi, which I have, is operative only if there is no 120 volt power going to the inverter. If the inverter is off and 120 volt is applied to the inverter, it will come on automatically and will stay on until the 120 volt power is removed and the on/off button is pushed. Of course if the 250 amp CB in the house battery compartment is tripped the inverter will remain off. If I want to store the coach, but on shore power, I must trip the 30 amp, 120 volt circuit breaker to the inverter, in the power center, and turn the inverter off. Of course I can trip the CB in the house battery compartment to turn the inverter off.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I'll check as time and weather allows. Whats very odd to me is that I am certain the fridge would be without power when I'd shut off the main and Im also certain that hitting the button on the xantrex panel to shut down the inverter (if it worked) has never been a part of my routine. Its possible that something stored in the bay where the inverter lives hit a button in there changing the behavior of the panel but that doesnt change that the fridge would go off line when I hit the main. Thank you for your help.
Button on the inverter itself is a one time thing. Once turned off all control is from the inside panel.