Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
oil leak around oil pan and brake fluid leak from anti-lock brake pump hose

I rarely see any issues in here related to the Ford portion of the Magnitude/Omnis so here is my contribution.

#1 While changing out the shocks to Bilsteins on my 2020 BH35 Magnitude I noticed some wetness around the rime of the oil pan between the engine and oil pan on the gasket. Have some dripping forming on a few of the pan bolts. Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

#2 While changing out the drivers side front shock I noticed a leak of what was a more watery substance, but had a peculiar smell to it which I believe is brake fluid. It had been collecting above the top of the shock tower where the shock mounts. Once I loosened that it started to drip down which is when I noticed signs of a leak on the braided hydraulic hose that connects from the brake master cylinder to the ABS brake pump. This is a first for me and honestly I am glad I noticed it because there was no visible sign of a leak.

I have an appt. with the local Ford Truck dealer to have it repaired under warranty. Wondering if anyone else has seen this and if not at least if it ever happens you will know of my experience. I'll update with the outcome of the service appt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_184819.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	36814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_185014.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	36815  

Name:	20220405_185235.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	36816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_204302.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	36817  

Old 04-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #2

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Apparently we are in the minority.
I've had a number of issues with the 2020 Ford with 17,000 miles on it (seatbelt light, airbag light, leak from transmission, ventilation from heater, etc.). All fixed now.
And then to add insult to injury it's a 2 hour drive past about 6 Ford truck dealerships to have warranty work done. Even the heavy duty truck dealerships won't work on it.
House part from Thor has been great.
Go figure.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
F....o....r....d!!!!!
When we went fulltime we considered a Class A or C, but at that time the only chassis option in either was Ford, don't do Ford, so opted for GMC diesel dually & 5th wheel.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #4

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
I've had good luck with Fords though. From multiple e250 delivery vans to a minivan for the family. They all lasted a lot of miles, but anything and everything that wasn't important broke. They had personality.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:53 PM   #5

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohoda View Post
I rarely see any issues in here related to the Ford portion of the Magnitude/Omnis so here is my contribution.

#1 While changing out the shocks to Bilsteins on my 2020 BH35 Magnitude I noticed some wetness around the rime of the oil pan between the engine and oil pan on the gasket. Have some dripping forming on a few of the pan bolts. Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

#2 While changing out the drivers side front shock I noticed a leak of what was a more watery substance, but had a peculiar smell to it which I believe is brake fluid. It had been collecting above the top of the shock tower where the shock mounts. Once I loosened that it started to drip down which is when I noticed signs of a leak on the braided hydraulic hose that connects from the brake master cylinder to the ABS brake pump. This is a first for me and honestly I am glad I noticed it because there was no visible sign of a leak.

I have an appt. with the local Ford Truck dealer to have it repaired under warranty. Wondering if anyone else has seen this and if not at least if it ever happens you will know of my experience. I'll update with the outcome of the service appt.
adding picture of oil leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220406_120729.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	36821  
Old 04-07-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have not seen any signs of leaks on my 2020 Magnitude SV34 (we should have the same 2019 F550 chassis).

I did my own oil change last season but didn't see any signs of oil leaks. I will be doing another one in May when I take it out of storage so I will take a closer look again. I will also have to look at the brake line as well.

I built a pole building when I bought it so I have a nice clean floor that makes it easier to spot leaks.

I am scheduled for a state inspection in May at the local Ford Commercial Truck Center. I have about 15,000 miles and about 6 months of factory warranty left so I will make sure to look over everything before I take it in for the inspection.

How hard was it to swap the shocks? Did it make a noticeable difference?
Old 04-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #7

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have not seen any signs of leaks on my 2020 Magnitude SV34 (we should have the same 2019 F550 chassis).

I did my own oil change last season but didn't see any signs of oil leaks. I will be doing another one in May when I take it out of storage so I will take a closer look again. I will also have to look at the brake line as well.

I built a pole building when I bought it so I have a nice clean floor that makes it easier to spot leaks.

I am scheduled for a state inspection in May at the local Ford Commercial Truck Center. I have about 15,000 miles and about 6 months of factory warranty left so I will make sure to look over everything before I take it in for the inspection.

How hard was it to swap the shocks? Did it make a noticeable difference?
Thanks for the reply Judge. I also change my own oil and there was no visible sign of a leak at last oil change except for a little on the oil filter that was likely just left over from the last oil change that wasn't wiped off. I always make a point to wipe off all residual oil to assure I am not jumping to conclusions about a leak that is just runoff from previous change. I am hoping it will just be a pan drop and gasket swap to solve this. The brake thing is a little more troubling, but with those braided and crimped hoses you never know when they might fail.

Shocks were not terribly difficult to replace. Fronts are harder than rears since there isn't a lot of room to deal with the top bolt, but I would say 2H to do them all including cleanup. Haven't had a chance to take her out since I did the shock swap, but I'll report back on that. I also have the Sumo Springs installed which made a world of difference. Much more compliant ride.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:34 AM   #8

THOR #23156
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Judge. I also change my own oil and there was no visible sign of a leak at last oil change except for a little on the oil filter that was likely just left over from the last oil change that wasn't wiped off. I always make a point to wipe off all residual oil to assure I am not jumping to conclusions about a leak that is just runoff from previous change. I am hoping it will just be a pan drop and gasket swap to solve this. The brake thing is a little more troubling, but with those braided and crimped hoses you never know when they might fail.

Shocks were not terribly difficult to replace. Fronts are harder than rears since there isn't a lot of room to deal with the top bolt, but I would say 2H to do them all including cleanup. Haven't had a chance to take her out since I did the shock swap, but I'll report back on that. I also have the Sumo Springs installed which made a world of difference. Much more compliant ride.
Finally did a test drive with the new shocks and steering stabilizer. I have to say I am impressed with the Bilstein shocks. The ride is so much more compliant now and the bounce I used to get when hitting larger bumps is gone. I even noticed that braking feels better with less dip in the front. Overall I have a new confidence in the drive and it has smoothed out the ride tremendously. This has to be up there as one of the best upgrades and combined with the Sumo springs it is such a big difference from stock.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Finally did a test drive with the new shocks and steering stabilizer. I have to say I am impressed with the Bilstein shocks. The ride is so much more compliant now and the bounce I used to get when hitting larger bumps is gone. I even noticed that braking feels better with less dip in the front. Overall I have a new confidence in the drive and it has smoothed out the ride tremendously. This has to be up there as one of the best upgrades and combined with the Sumo springs it is such a big difference from stock.
Thanks for the follow-up on the shocks pohoda!

Sounds like they may be an upgrade to consider. I already have the Sumo's so I may consider the Bilstein shocks as well.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:14 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Have you tried a torque wrench on the oil pan bolts? Maybe all it needs is to be snugged down.