Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #27776
Omni BT 36 house battery

I just picked up a 2022 BT36 and was wondering why it had 2 6 volt batteries instead of 1 12V. Can I replace the 2 6V with 2 12 V batteries for more juice and run time?

Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjt30114 View Post
I just picked up a 2022 BT36 and was wondering why it had 2 6 volt batteries instead of 1 12V. Can I replace the 2 6V with 2 12 V batteries for more juice and run time?
Two 6 volt batteries in series make one very large 12 volt battery. There is absolutely no good reason to replace the two 6 volt batteries with two 12 volt batteries before the batteries go bad; and in most cases, if you did, you would end up with less capacity rather than more capacity.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Exactly what Ted said!

I originally added two more 6V batteries to my '20 Magnitude SV34 before upgrading to LiFePO4's last year.

Stick with the two 6V.... but if you go to four of them it is a tight fit.... but it can be done with a little patience.

You will want to make sure your stock batteries are in good shape. Sometimes coaches can sit on a lot for a while and the dealers don't charge them. They can also leave the inverter on and drain the batteries down completely. They also don't always maintain them by adding water as needed.

Make sure you check them out to verify they are in good shape so they don't cause any issues that make you start chasing your tail.

And check your BIM wiring per my many posts on the subject. If Thor is still wiring them backwards, it will wreak havoc on your charging and 12V system in general.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:05 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #27777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Exactly what Ted said!

I originally added two more 6V batteries to my '20 Magnitude SV34 before upgrading to LiFePO4's last year.

Stick with the two 6V.... but if you go to four of them it is a tight fit.... but it can be done with a little patience.

You will want to make sure your stock batteries are in good shape. Sometimes coaches can sit on a lot for a while and the dealers don't charge them. They can also leave the inverter on and drain the batteries down completely. They also don't always maintain them by adding water as needed.

Make sure you check them out to verify they are in good shape so they don't cause any issues that make you start chasing your tail.

And check your BIM wiring per my many posts on the subject. If Thor is still wiring them backwards, it will wreak havoc on your charging and 12V system in general.
So when you replaced your 4 lead acid batteries with Lithium, how many Lithium batteries did you put in? Also, did you have to change any of the electronics, such as the AGS or the inverter?
Old 08-25-2022, 08:47 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo11 View Post
So when you replaced your 4 lead acid batteries with Lithium, how many Lithium batteries did you put in? Also, did you have to change any of the electronics, such as the AGS or the inverter?

I installed five 170Ah LiFePO4's from BigBattery (https://bigbattery.com/products/12v-...70ah-2-176kwh/)

I installed them under my dinette seats. Originally I did not replace the Inverter but I did have to replace the Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV for charging lithium batteries. I also had to replace the BIM 160 with the LI-BIM 225.

This spring I upgraded the inverter to the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter / Charger. I also did some rewiring so I could use the Inverter to run any circuit in the coach... like one A/C unit or the microwave. I also decommissioned the PD9160ALV Converter in favor of using the Inverter / Charger because the Xantrex is far more configurable and more efficient for charging the batteries.

The lithium batteries start the generator just fine. I thought about contacting FireFly about an update for the AGS voltage settings but for my purposes the AGS works fine.