Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Omni/Magnitude awning

When the patio awning is extended, does yours come out straight, as in no tilt to the roller tube fore/aft? Mine tilts aft some which I though was perhaps a design criteria to shed water but the roller tube catches on the front extension "knuckle" when expending. The knuckle slips out under the roller then the roller catches the knuckle going out. I had taken the RV to a dealer for a few minor warranty items, that being one, and he said it looked bent. I don't see any bends so asking if mine is normal except the hanging up part? When extending it will extend just past fully extended then back up to a normal?? parked position.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
If they tilt I have not figured it out yet. Mine does catch on anything while extending or retracting.
I did find out by accident that it has the sensor if it gets too windy it will automatically roll back up, I took a pole and pushed up on it to see if it would tilt or adjust and it rolled back up, LOL, guess it didn't like being poked.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
If they tilt I have not figured it out yet. Mine does catch on anything while extending or retracting.
I did find out by accident that it has the sensor if it gets too windy it will automatically roll back up, I took a pole and pushed up on it to see if it would tilt or adjust and it rolled back up, LOL, guess it didn't like being poked.
The tilt that I have is like the aft arm is positioned so that when extended it is lower than the front arm. That could be achieved by the way the mount is installed, either on purpose or by accident. It appears to be square to the roof but it's hard to tell.

Just to clarify the "hanging up". When stowed the roller is outside the arms. When extending the front hinge or knuckle of the arm slips outside the roller. A couple feet of extension later and the roller catches on the hinge/knuckle. The aft end of the roller continues extending and the front is hanging up until the weight of the roller/awning causes it to abruptly release and finish extending. Can't be good for the system and I fear damage is happening to it. A gentle push up on the roller as it's happening and it "releases". But that's not the way it would be so it needs fixing.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Yeah it should not be doing that, need to get that corrected before something gets damaged, mine extends and retracts freely without snagging on anything.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #5

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
If you download the pdf for the awning, it goes through the processes for adjusting the angle, the way it extends and how to get the arms parallel to the awning-(which is the way they sat it is supposed to be) when it is retracted.
I had the issue where one side was higher than the other when extended, that's how I found out and all of it is quite simple.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:59 PM   #6

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
If you download the pdf for the awning, it goes through the processes for adjusting the angle, the way it extends and how to get the arms parallel to the awning-(which is the way they sat it is supposed to be) when it is retracted.
I had the issue where one side was higher than the other when extended, that's how I found out and all of it is quite simple.
Thanks tomorrow when I get home I'll look up the info on the awning and see if I can find the manual. An adjustment makes sense.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-12-2021, 11:50 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Yep, the arms on the CoC Lattitude have to be exactly parallel for the system to work correctly. Find a level surface and park the coach on it. Put the patio awning completely out. Measure the distance of each end of the patio awning from the rollers end to the ground. If it not really close, use the directions listed on CoCs web site to level the arms.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The adjustment is relatively straightforward, I lowered the pitch of mine last year.

It does to have to be completely level on both ends. I saw nothing in the manual stating that. I have mine adjusted so water runs more to one corner and I have had no issues in almost two years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 5.54.57 AM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	32785  
Old 08-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The adjustment is relatively straightforward, I lowered the pitch of mine last year.

It does to have to be completely level on both ends. I saw nothing in the manual stating that. I have mine adjusted so water runs more to one corner and I have had no issues in almost two years.
Thanks I'll give that a shot later today. Mine is a good foot lower on the aft end. Sheds water nicely but extension problems as I've stated. I guess another wonderful QC example from thor.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks I'll give that a shot later today. Mine is a good foot lower on the aft end. Sheds water nicely but extension problems as I've stated. I guess another wonderful QC example from thor.
Yea..... a foot is a bit extreme.... I'm probably within 6".
Old 08-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #11

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
One thing to note that the manual doesn’t go into too much depth is the pistons on the arms. Mine were way off from each other, at least 3 inches longer on one side putting way too much force on it when closing.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
One thing to note that the manual doesn’t go into too much depth is the pistons on the arms. Mine were way off from each other, at least 3 inches longer on one side putting way too much force on it when closing.
I looked at the gas struts and they appeared to be the same position. They are riveted in position so not adjustable. I did though find the service manual which shows another adjustment to the arms to adjust them parallel to the roller. I thinks that's my hanging up issue and when it cools off a bit I'll adjust it. 95 and high humidity out there with heat index around 105.

Judge my leaning distance was 8" and it's now 1. Just enough to shed water.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Fixed

I also did the level the arms parallel to the roller and no more hangup. Thanks to all for pointing me towards the appropriate manuals. They will be stored with other appropriate service items on the computer.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-14-2021, 12:08 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thanks all thor awning adjustments

https://youtu.be/5kU1kXQbvKY
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote