Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2020, 02:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Impressive floor plans and power train for sure. We looked briefly at one - don’t recall the model - but the GVWR and CCC didn’t make sense for us. And, at least without a hard negotiation session, they seemed pretty salty. Still, I’d like to hear more “field reports”.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Impressive floor plans and power train for sure. We looked briefly at one - don’t recall the model - but the GVWR and CCC didn’t make sense for us. And, at least without a hard negotiation session, they seemed pretty salty. Still, I’d like to hear more “field reports”.
Judge did a bit of a review of his new Magnitude over here

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ack-19172.html

and about his experience taking it to Elkhart for factory service

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ack-19172.html

We strongly considered the Magnitude but after sitting in both on the same day we decided on the Entegra Accolade Super C. There were too many little things about the Magnitude that we didn't like especially the fact the slide must be extended to use the bed and the lack of opposing wall slides in the living area. The fact that Entegra's warranty is twice that of Thor just served as icing on the cake. There is, however, a substantial price difference between the Accolade/Seneca and the Magnitude/Omni. Could be the difference between the cost of the Ford Super Duty and the Freightliner S2RV.

The Magnitude was nice, just not the right rig for us.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:

I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 w/ 4x4. The difference between my unladen weight and GVWR is 2166lbs. I have not gotten weighed yet with a full load but I am not too worried.

We have only been out 2 or 3 times but there is plenty of power and the F-550 chassis is very stout. I was very impressed with the handling and power during the test drive and it has not disappointed on the trips we have taken so far.

One of the reasons why I traded in my 2018 Outlaw 29H was weight. The regular Class C's are on LT tires that are not meant to carry heavy loads all the time. The weak link is the GVWR rating is the tires (yes... you have to worry about axles, breaks, etc.) but they should be able to handle a little more than the GVWR rating but the tires are dangerous close to their limits when you drive it off the lot.... IMHO.

The garage in my 29H was rated for 1500lbs. When I loaded my Spyder (which weighed 1000lbs) and had a full load I was 1000lbs over GVWR! The garage structurally may be able to handle 1500lbs but the rest of the coach would have to be empty to keep it under the GVWR.

I installed heavy duty sway bars, Sumo Springs and steering stabilizer to fix the handling issues even without any load. I was then going to install a set of Commercial rated Goodyear tires that would have have been able to handle about 4000lbs more than the stock tires and designed to carry heavy loads all the time. But after we realized the floor plan was not going to work for 3 - 4 month trips, we opted to move to a Super C.

The Magnitude is on 19.5" tires rated to carry heavy loads all the time so I am not concerned about a blowout from being overloaded. I have a TPMS on it and also purchased the Cross-Fire equalization kit for the dually's that I will install this spring.

I will have more reports in the spring when we get back out on the road but so far I am very pleased with the Magnitude. It is also a bonus I won't have to spend the time and money upgrading the suspension like I did with the Outlaw.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #24

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 w/ 4x4. The difference between my unladen weight and GVWR is 2166lbs. I have not gotten weighed yet with a full load but I am not too worried.

We have only been out 2 or 3 times but there is plenty of power and the F-550 chassis is very stout. I was very impressed with the handling and power during the test drive and it has not disappointed on the trips we have taken so far.

One of the reasons why I traded in my 2018 Outlaw 29H was weight. The regular Class C's are on LT tires that are not meant to carry heavy loads all the time. The weak link is the GVWR rating is the tires (yes... you have to worry about axles, breaks, etc.) but they should be able to handle a little more than the GVWR rating but the tires are dangerous close to their limits when you drive it off the lot.... IMHO.

The garage in my 29H was rated for 1500lbs. When I loaded my Spyder (which weighed 1000lbs) and had a full load I was 1000lbs over GVWR! The garage structurally may be able to handle 1500lbs but the rest of the coach would have to be empty to keep it under the GVWR.

I installed heavy duty sway bars, Sumo Springs and steering stabilizer to fix the handling issues even without any load. I was then going to install a set of Commercial rated Goodyear tires that would have have been able to handle about 4000lbs more than the stock tires and designed to carry heavy loads all the time. But after we realized the floor plan was not going to work for 3 - 4 month trips, we opted to move to a Super C.

The Magnitude is on 19.5" tires rated to carry heavy loads all the time so I am not concerned about a blowout from being overloaded. I have a TPMS on it and also purchased the Cross-Fire equalization kit for the dually's that I will install this spring.

I will have more reports in the spring when we get back out on the road but so far I am very pleased with the Magnitude. It is also a bonus I won't have to spend the time and money upgrading the suspension like I did with the Outlaw.

Glad it works for you. It certainly is an exciting platform. It seems robust so I just don’t understand why it doesn’t have a higher GVWR. Similar wheelbase F53 can be 26,000 lbs. THAT would be a game changer!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Glad it works for you. It certainly is an exciting platform. It seems robust so I just don’t understand why it doesn’t have a higher GVWR. Similar wheelbase F53 can be 26,000 lbs. THAT would be a game changer!

The higher GVWR of the largest F-53 use 22.5” inch wheels and tires, not 19.5.

Later this year Ford will introduce the F-600 which is very similar to F-550 but will push maximum GVWR from 19,500 to 22,000 pounds. Wheels and tires will still remain 19.5” but will have higher load ratings according to Ford releases.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #26

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Later this year Ford will introduce the F-600 which is very similar to F-550 but will push maximum GVWR from 19,500 to 22,000 pounds. Wheels and tires will still remain 19.5” but will have higher load ratings according to Ford releases.

Now that’s cool. Thanks for the info. I expect it’ll always be out of my reach, fiscally speaking, but a fellow can daydream. Maybe if I’d been able to skip the multi coach learning curve....oh well.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #27

THOR #17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Colors and the dealers that sell them. That is all.
Knew it had to be something simple like that, LoL! Thank you!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:33 AM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

The question is what will Thor do?

Even though the F600 is being released Thor may elect to stay with the F550 it is, after all, selling in its current configuration. Will consumers be willing to shell out the extra dollars or will they say the heck with it and spend the extra dollars on a Freightliner S2RV Super C with a GVWR of 29,000 and GCWR of 41,000?

You know Ford won't sell the F550 and F600 for the same price.

It doesn't matter what we think, what matters is what Thor thinks and what will they do?
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut.....

You know Ford won't sell the F550 and F600 for the same price.

It doesn't matter what we think, what matters is what Thor thinks and what will they do?

Of course there will be a price premium, but it should be minor like the difference between an E-350 and E-450.

The F-600 will share cab, engines, transmission, etc. with F-550; much like E-350 versus E-450. I expect the cost difference will be only a few $1,000s. When comparing rigs costing up to about $200,000 (more or less), the extra cost will be minimal as a percent of total yet provide extra +/- 2,000-pound CCC.

I have no idea whether Thor will use the F-600 or not. If it were me running the business I’d do it in a heartbeat, but I’m far from predicting industry trends accurately. In any case, I don’t see the F-600 as a direct competitor of larger Freightliner. It’ll mostly be a beefed-up F-550.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #30

THOR #12751
The GVWR doesn't scare me much on the Magnitude. With the two of us, our 13lb dog and a full load, I think the chassis, tires, brakes can handle it.

The GCWR is 35,000 and I think that will be plenty for us as well. Right now we tow a 600lb aluminum trailer with a 1000lb Spyder. Our goal it to also to our 2018 GMC Canyon, which is about 4500lbs so that is well under the GCWR.... even if we store some stuff in the Canyon when towing.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #31

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
OP here, I have decided upon a Dynamax Isata 5 36ds based on personal preferences and liking some features better than the Thor’s. Thanks for your replies and know it was a difficult decision, they both are nice units. Mine’s on order and due in March...
Old 01-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
OP here, I have decided upon a Dynamax Isata 5 36ds based on personal preferences and liking some features better than the Thor’s. Thanks for your replies and know it was a difficult decision, they both are nice units. Mine’s on order and due in March...
Be careful. When I was looking at Super Cs one of the reviews I read said the Dynamax Isata 5 was dangerously close to max weight on the rear axle before leaving the lot and had a low OCCC. There is some discussion on the Forest River forum about the low OCCC.

Can't remember where I read about the axle weight but it came off my list of Super Cs to consider.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #33

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
Quote:
Be careful. When I was looking at Super Cs one of the reviews I read said the Dynamax Isata 5 was dangerously close to max weight on the rear axle before leaving the lot and had a low OCCC. There is some discussion on the Forest River forum about the low OCCC.

Can't remember where I read about the axle weight but it came off my list of Super Cs to consider.

Yes read a lot of info on this over in the forest river forum. They have since lightened the unit from their first introduction. There was also a spring option added to the Ram chassis to add another 500lbs to front axle. Dynamax indicated they always order that now. At the Hershey show I compared the Thor 35’ to this unit and the ccc was nearly identical. It was right on top of my list to check this. They are both a little low and I’m vigilant about weights so no concern.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #34

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post

Thanks for the follow up and congratulations on your new coach. Hope you have many happy miles and nights in it. Feel free to stay around this forum. Lots of us are SOB folks but stick around because this is simply a wonderful and helpful bunch of people.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #35

Model: Tiffin Allegro RED
State: Virginia
THOR #18088
Have a new 2020 Magnitude XG32 (4x4) and the CCC sticker has us at 2200 lbs. Lots of capacity
Old 04-21-2020, 12:41 AM   #36

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiderskij View Post
Have a new 2020 Magnitude XG32 (4x4) and the CCC sticker has us at 2200 lbs. Lots of capacity

As long as you don't run loaded with water. We easily max out the CCC on the BH35, but of course it's 500lbs lower then the XG.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #37

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
As long as you don't run loaded with water. We easily max out the CCC on the BH35, but of course it's 500lbs lower then the XG.

Sounds like a lot but do weigh once in a while. My last coach had a posted weight carrying capacity of 2100 lbs and when I weighed with 1/2 water I was stunned to find I was right at max gross. When we bought again I required at least 1000 lbs more.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #38

Model: Tiffin Allegro RED
State: Virginia
THOR #18088
No worries. Full water is ~625 lbs and we never travel with a full tank. I figure I have 1000-1300 lbs, including us in the weight factor, to have loaded weight. Used to have a 5th wheel years ago and became very weight conscious.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #39
TCJ

State: Nevada
THOR #19601
We are considering the Magnitude BH35. This may sound like a small issue, but we want to have the television above the dinette, which does not appear to be an option on this model. Does anyone know if Thor will make it with this specification? Or, has anyone had this modification made?

Does anyone have any purchase regrets regarding the BH35 model?

Thank you!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #40

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
We are considering the Magnitude BH35. This may sound like a small issue, but we want to have the television above the dinette, which does not appear to be an option on this model. Does anyone know if Thor will make it with this specification? Or, has anyone had this modification made?

Does anyone have any purchase regrets regarding the BH35 model?

Thank you!

Thor will not provide that as an option.

I have an SV34 and I replaced the rigid mount on the over the cab TV with an adjustable wall mount. That way I can swing the TV arm over and then out so that it is more in front of our theater seats. It works pretty well and makes watching that TV more comfortable.

There are cabinets over the dinette so you would lose that space and you would likely hit your head on it when sitting at the dinette if you weren't careful.

So far we are very happy with the Magnitude SV34. It suits are needs perfectly.

Tags
ccc, magnitude, omni