Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2023, 05:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: New Hampshire
THOR #29956
Chateau 24F, Winterize Instructions ???

I have not found any comprehensive instructions to winterize my Thor Chateau 24F. There are general winterizing instructions in the owners manual but not specific to the 24F. I'm looking for the details for blowing out the lines such as where to connect the compressor and which valves to open or close etc.

Thanks

Jim Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To dry winterize set the system to city water, leave the valves alone, connect the compressor to the city water hose connection, set the compressor to 45psi max, turn the compressor on the open all spigots( one at a time) until air only comes out.

Drain your water tank and water heater first.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
To dry winterize set the system to city water, leave the valves alone, connect the compressor to the city water hose connection, set the compressor to 45psi max, turn the compressor on the open all spigots( one at a time) until air only comes out.

Drain your water tank and Ayer heater first.
The critical part of my winterizing process was to completely drain the gray water tank. The tank is long and has a flat bottom. There is a 1.5" drain pipe coming out of the tank vertically with a right angle fitting into the dump valve. If any water is left in the tank and the coach moved with the dump valve closed, water collect in the lower part of the pipe and burst the pipe, if the temps remain below freezing for a couple days. Guess how I know?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:22 AM   #4

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Litorange Lead-Free Brass Winterize Sprinkler Systems: Air Compressor Hose Water Faucet Blow Out Adapter Fitting For RV, Travel Trailer, Boat & Camper(a couple) https://a.co/d/2Wb19zJ

Drain your hot water tank. Leave the drain plug out.

Set the valves on the back of the hot water tank to bypass.

Thread the male fitting into your city water connection. Set you air compressor to around 40 psi. Pressurize the system... open each faucet one at a time until sputtering stops.

Unthread the pump strainer and empty. I personally flip the water pump on for about 5 seconds to clear water from it.

Close the valve between the pump and freshwater tank.

Replace the hot water tank drain plug.

Remove the compressor fitting from your city water connection.

Drain all waste tanks and THOROUGHLY flush black tank. Make sure gray and black tanks are COMPLETELY drained... including the ABS cross-pipe underneath leading to the Valterra waste valves.

Pour about 2 cups of pink antifreeze into the shower drain and bathroom sink... enough to fill traps. Pour about half of the remaining gallon into the kitchen sink drain. Pour most of the rest into the toilet... reserve enough to cover the toilet seal.

At this point you should be good. I've used this method in Ohio for the last two years with no issues.

If you want extra insurance, there is a suction port connector in the plumbing just before the pump to draw pink antifreeze into the water lines.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:32 AM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Litorange Lead-Free Brass Winterize Sprinkler Systems: Air Compressor Hose Water Faucet Blow Out Adapter Fitting For RV, Travel Trailer, Boat & Camper(a couple) https://a.co/d/2Wb19zJ

Drain your hot water tank. Leave the drain plug out.

Set the valves on the back of the hot water tank to bypass.

Thread the male fitting into your city water connection. Set you air compressor to around 40 psi. Pressurize the system... open each faucet one at a time until sputtering stops.

Unthread the pump strainer and empty. I personally flip the water pump on for about 5 seconds to clear water from it.

Close the valve between the pump and freshwater tank.

Replace the hot water tank drain plug.

Remove the compressor fitting from your city water connection.

Drain all waste tanks and THOROUGHLY flush black tank. Make sure gray and black tanks are COMPLETELY drained... including the ABS cross-pipe underneath leading to the Valterra waste valves.

Pour about 2 cups of pink antifreeze into the shower drain and bathroom sink... enough to fill traps. Pour about half of the remaining gallon into the kitchen sink drain. Pour most of the rest into the toilet... reserve enough to cover the toilet seal.

At this point you should be good. I've used this method in Ohio for the last two years with no issues.

If you want extra insurance, there is a suction port connector in the plumbing just before the pump to draw pink antifreeze into the water lines.

Exactly what I do with my 24F. Don’t forget to leave the low point drains open as well.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:49 AM   #6

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Exactly what I do with my 24F. Don’t forget to leave the low point drains open as well.
Yep! I forgot that AND completely draining the freshwater tank!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:19 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 25V
State: Wisconsin
THOR #32180
The first time I read of compressor approach I was immediately drawn to it. If you have a compressor, it seems most simple approach. All you need to do is treat P-traps with antifreeze.

Tags
air compressor, blow-out, winterization