Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2021, 01:07 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Interesting - You guys are talking about the rear of the helper spring on the driver side of the coach on your XG32’s.

I see the hose in the area of the passenger side rear of the helper spring on our 2021 SV34. The propane hose is two fingers from the helper and I see no way it can be compromised or compressed by the helper spring or the main spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30524D92-BF8C-4861-96AE-54CE04D4935D.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	35138  

Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:11 AM   #22

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
WTF???

Why not just turn off the propane, disconnect the line, reroute it and secure it properly??

15 minutes in my world.
Have you read the previous comments? Have you spent any time under an Omni/Magnitude to see how the line is routed? I have and it's an extensive job and in Lamokadave's situation the line is cut and needs replacing. Mine is eroded and compromised. Course thor will probably say it's normal.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:28 AM   #23

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I have to make time to look at mine tomorrow.
I'm sure Thor will just call the abrasion on the hose normal wear and tear
I mean, what could go wrong running the propane hose over the leaf spring. Makes you wonder where Thor get's their engineers from or where they got their degrees from, most likely Wal-Mart .
Old 12-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #24

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Thor responded to our email favorably. Told us to bring it to an authorized Thor dealer and supplied a ticket number. We are thankful for that. They also provided a procedural document on what the repair facility is to do.
I won't share my opinion but let you form your own.
In addition to what I attached, the are a dozen pages of schematics of the system layout. File was a size beyond what the forum allows.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Propane.pdf (665.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Thanks for posting the repair instructions.

Huh.
I wonder where I got the idea of how to fix this and knew exactly what they'd do, clear down to that self tapper and clamp type?

Huh.

Some of us do things and use the things we've done to address how we might do things we haven't done.

But
They'll replace the line due to the wear...or not.
It might not be abraded enough to warrant replacement.

Attitude while doing a face to face at the repair facility will be very important.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #26

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Thor responded to our email favorably. Told us to bring it to an authorized Thor dealer and supplied a ticket number. We are thankful for that. They also provided a procedural document on what the repair facility is to do.
I won't share my opinion but let you form your own.
In addition to what I attached, the are a dozen pages of schematics of the system layout. File was a size beyond what the forum allows.
Of course Thor will take the easy way out instead of doing correctly, after all Thor is the one that put the hose there to begin with and wouldn't expect them to do it right.
I have to make time to look at mine tomorrow and see if it has been routed poorly, and if it has I will fix it myself, wouldn't trust Thor with any repairs at this point. Thor built it wrong so no faith that they can fix it.
If Harbor Freight sold RV's it would be Thor RV's.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:24 AM   #27

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Of course Thor will take the easy way out instead of doing correctly, after all Thor is the one that put the hose there to begin with and wouldn't expect them to do it right.
I have to make time to look at mine tomorrow and see if it has been routed poorly, and if it has I will fix it myself, wouldn't trust Thor with any repairs at this point. Thor built it wrong so no faith that they can fix it.
After a 330 mile drive, lightly loaded and no big bumps, the "witness tape" I put on the hose was struck by the spring. Mine doesn't look like the pictures and there is NO slack in the line. I love how they say "inadvertently ran through the rear suspension". That was a deliberate act and no getting around it. Also not going to spend more than $5 on clamps and supplies. Poor ole thor, gonna go broke fixing this.

Harbor Freight has better tools than thor has RVs. I'm thinking a better analogy would be yugo RV.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #28

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Thanks for posting the repair instructions.

Huh.
I wonder where I got the idea of how to fix this and knew exactly what they'd do, clear down to that self tapper and clamp type?

Huh.

Some of us do things and use the things we've done to address how we might do things we haven't done.

But
They'll replace the line due to the wear...or not.
It might not be abraded enough to warrant replacement.

Attitude while doing a face to face at the repair facility will be very important.
Guess some of wish we could be so intuitive on a matter we haven't seen and know nothing about.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #29

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
After a 330 mile drive, lightly loaded and no big bumps, the "witness tape" I put on the hose was struck by the spring. Mine doesn't look like the pictures and there is NO slack in the line. I love how they say "inadvertently ran through the rear suspension". That was a deliberate act and no getting around it. Also not going to spend more than $5 on clamps and supplies. Poor ole thor, gonna go broke fixing this.

Harbor Freight has better tools than thor has RVs. I'm thinking a better analogy would be yugo RV.
I would have to agree that Harbor Freight has better tools than Thor has RV's.
YMC. Yugo motor coach.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:33 AM   #30

THOR #22586
Quote:
YMC. Yugo motor coach.
Also the issue isn't too much slack it's where they routed it between the spring end and body framing. That is unless there is more than one issue with what they did. Since thor says it was inadvertent, that tells me they have no standard or instruction to follow, just put it up there any old way you want. In other words no schematic to follow or reference. That's the same as when I asked for an HDMI cable schematic and Thor CS said one did not exist.

Thor states in those instructions to adjust the hose so it doesn't rub, stating excess sagging hose is the culprit. Simplistic answer like we have heard and just isn't the truth. Mine and Lamokadave have the hose cut, not rubbed. Big difference.

I'm going to write Thor CS also and send my pictures to see what they say about mine.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #31

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
YMC. Yugo motor coach.
Yugo Motorcoach
Old 12-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #32

THOR #22586
I did send a message to Thor CS last night with the pictures and my VIN. Got a reply already that my VIN is not covered by the recall but to take it to an authorized dealer/service center and they gave me a case number for reference. Thor's recall is not all inclusive to the problem. Thor has a bigger problem than they wish to admit at this point and I suspect there are a whole lot more coaches out there with improperly routed propane lines and resulting damaged lines.

After my trip completes just before Christmas I'll get this into the dealer to start the process. I hope thor enlarges the recall to include all omni and magnitudes. Doubt it though. I will inspect the line after each travel day to make sure the cut hasn't gone too deep and unsafe.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #33

THOR #24995
Quote:
Do you have the tools to create splices in the propane line? I'm not certain because there is only so much I can physically see but I believe the line in question is a single hose running from the furnace to water heater. Not sure if the dealers would create splices or replace the entire section
Old 12-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #34

THOR #22586
Quote:
Do you have the tools to create splices in the propane line? I'm not certain because there is only so much I can physically see but I believe the line in question is a single hose running from the furnace to water heater. Not sure if the dealers would create splices or replace the entire section
That line goes from the tank to the kitchen stove and water heater in the main slide. Not sure about line to heater itself but no I don't have tools to install propane hose ends. No telling what a dealer would do following thor instructions.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #35

THOR #4243
Quote:
I have crimping tools, all I would need is the fittings. If my crimpers won't work I will take them up the road to a friend that has an aircraft repair facility, pretty sure he can do it. As long as the hose is not damaged should be able to disconnect one end and re route it.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #36

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I did send a message to Thor CS last night with the pictures and my VIN. Got a reply already that my VIN is not covered by the recall but to take it to an authorized dealer/service center and they gave me a case number for reference. Thor's recall is not all inclusive to the problem. Thor has a bigger problem than they wish to admit at this point and I suspect there are a whole lot more coaches out there with improperly routed propane lines and resulting damaged lines.

After my trip completes just before Christmas I'll get this into the dealer to start the process. I hope thor enlarges the recall to include all omni and magnitudes. Doubt it though. I will inspect the line after each travel day to make sure the cut hasn't gone too deep and unsafe.
Thor has a lot of problems they're not admitting too, not surprising. You might want to contact NHTSA and report it.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:42 AM   #37

THOR #4243
Went out today and checked my propane hose and no issue with it running through the leaf spring or hanger, it actually runs on top of the frame. For you guys that want to change out the hose or move it yourself it will be a pretty simple job.
The main hose runs from the tank to the drivers side to a manifold, from the manifold one hose goes straight up to the heater, another one runs runs back to the passenger side for the outdoor gas grill connection, and the other runs forward where behind the front fuel tank fill is another manifold with 2 hoses coming of it, one for the water heater and the other for the stove. so changing out or moving the culprit hose will be pretty simple to remove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hose5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	35169   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	35170  

Old 12-11-2021, 01:08 AM   #38

THOR #4243
Now before you say to yourself, Well DAMM he got lucky, lets investigate the routing of the hoses because we're talking about Thor craftsmanship here, so I did.
Everything in the back to the first manifold looks ok, the hoses need to be hung a little better which I will do. Next lets follow the hose forward. I noticed the hose crosses over the frame which puts the floor of the coach right on top of it and I did not like where it was at, there was a better spot for it to cross over just by moving it back a few inches, but the dang hose wont come out, it's pretty loose fitting but won't come out. Went and got a small pry bar to help push/pull it out, but it won't come out, one spot of the hose seems stuck because in front of that spot and behind moves very easily.
Got a flashlight and shined in there to see what it was hitting and saw nothing, thought maybe they got some glue on it and that's why it wont move, so I took the pry bar and pushed down on top of the hose and slid it under but hit something so I pushed down the top a little more and saw something, pushed the hose down further and shined the light in there and found the culprit holding it.
You will never guess what I found.
I always thought this RV went through propane a little faster than our previous to RV's but chalked it up to maybe the heater is a bigger BTU or the tankless water heater uses more and thought nothing more about it, and now I know why it does.
So are you ready for this shit? remember we're talking about THOR quality here. Is the suspense killing you yet?
Hold on to your seat. Some dumb bastard ran a screw through the floor and straight through the hose, I shit you not. We're lucky that the RV did not catch fire or explode, never smelled any gas but none the less WE ARE LUCKY.
So even if your hose is not running through the leaf springs, check the hose, every square inch of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hose3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	35171   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	35172  

Name:	hose2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	35173  
Old 12-11-2021, 01:14 AM   #39

THOR #4243
I will submit this to Thor and I'm quite sure that I will not be very polite to them since they could of killed the wife and myself and turn it into NHTSA.
Will I let Thor fix it? NO way in HELL will I let them touch this coach, that company could screw up a wet dream, besides why should I think they could do it right the 2nd time around.
Thinking very seriously about getting an attorney involved at this stage, between the front cap coming loose, propane hose and other issues I have fixed in the first year and a half, it is beyond laughable now.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #40

THOR #24995
Quote:
I will submit this to Thor and I'm quite sure that I will not be very polite to them since they could of killed the wife and myself and turn it into NHTSA.
Will I let Thor fix it? NO way in HELL will I let them touch this coach, that company could screw up a wet dream, besides why should I think they could do it right the 2nd time around.
Thinking very seriously about getting an attorney involved at this stage, between the front cap coming loose, propane hose and other issues I have fixed in the first year and a half, it is beyond laughable now.
Maybe you should thank them for creating the recall situation so you had the incentive to check.
I'm sorry... it really isn't funny.