Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Same song, different verse: on my 2017 Vegas 25.2 on it's maiden voyage I used the stove and furnace for a week as it was cool. Week 2 of the trip the furnace quit working but the stove was still good. A couple of days later the stove was burning with a very yellow flame. I finished the trip with out the stove or heater and when I got home I had a mobile tech in our park come to fix the problem. I worked with him and we finally figured out why I had good pressure in the tank but none at the appliances. When the rig was built they obviously put down the floor and did the wiring and plumbing including gas lines. They ran them along the curb side wall then put the kitchen cabinets in. They totally collapsed the hoses by getting them between the wall and cabinets. The only fix short of removing all the cabinets was to cut the hoses off where they were trapped and replace the hose. Thor agreed to pay the mobile tech for his labor and sent a complete set of hoses, we ran them through the cabinet backs so that they were not pinched or rubbing on anything.

I guess the first week things were settling in and the space between the wall and cabinet structure tightened up enough to completely pinch off the flow. The trapped section is still trapped as it was too tight to pull it out after we cut the hoses.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #42

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Maybe you should thank them for creating the recall situation so you had the incentive to check.
I'm sorry... it really isn't funny.
Sadly there will be some that might actually suggest that we thank thor for allowing the morons who assembled to use their discretion when routing the propane lines thus saving $4.53 per coach. Not everybody will have dangerously routed lines so all the rest got to spend $4.53 less.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:23 AM   #43

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Maybe you should thank them for creating the recall situation so you had the incentive to check.
I'm sorry... it really isn't funny.
You're absolutely correct, without the recall I would not of looked at the hoses and found the screw in it.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:38 AM   #44

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
@kwplot34. how were you not loosing propane all the time? did you always keep the tank valve closed unless you needed propane? perhaps the hose was able to seal against the screw and because propane is low pressure it just didn't leak?
Old 12-12-2021, 04:30 AM   #45

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
@kwplot34. how were you not loosing propane all the time? did you always keep the tank valve closed unless you needed propane? perhaps the hose was able to seal against the screw and because propane is low pressure it just didn't leak?
When not in use I keep the tank valve closed. It was losing some through the hole because this RV went through propane faster than any of our other RV's, just always thought that maybe it had a bigger BTU heater or the tankless water heater used more.
But I believe you're right that since it is a low pressure and the screw probably helped seal the hose it just didn't leak as fast as it could have.
I will remove it next week and either splice it or replace the hose and route it correctly, like Thor should of done in the first place and not through the leaf spring either.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #46

THOR #22586
temporary repair made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
When not in use I keep the tank valve closed. It was losing some through the hole because this RV went through propane faster than any of our other RV's, just always thought that maybe it had a bigger BTU heater or the tankless water heater used more.
But I believe you're right that since it is a low pressure and the screw probably helped seal the hose it just didn't leak as fast as it could have.
I will remove it next week and either splice it or replace the hose and route it correctly, like Thor should of done in the first place and not through the leaf spring either.
If you can get to the punctured line a temporary suggestion. Clean and rough ups the outside to the line and mix up some JB Weld epoxy and apply a "patch" over the outside of the hole. Don't force it into the hole deep of it could block the line. Let cure thoroughly before moving the line again. Since the propane is under low pressure this should work as a TEMPORARY repair until you can get the line replaced.

Yesterday I made a bandaid fix to the propane hose and also looked at how the line is installed in mine. As stated above, the main propane line goes from the tank to a manifold under the left rear of the coach which distribute the propane to various appliances. On the XG32 except for a separate "grill connection on the right rear, all other propane appliances are on the left side, heater, stove, water heater. From the manifold a line goes forward on the left side of the chassis frame attached to the body framing using P clamps and self tapping screws. On mine as I described earlier, the line transitions from left side of the chassis frame to the right side of same frame by going through a small gap behind the top leaf spring. This is where the line gets damaged on my coach. From there it proceeds forward up to the user appliances, stove and W/H.

I had the coach jacked top for additional clearance and looked closely at those P clamps to see about removing some and repositioning them. I don't frankly know how they got them attached or how I would get them out to reposition the line. The self tapping screws are inaccessible in several cases, blocked by the chassis components. I have drill drivers, angled drivers, various impact drivers, and none of them will access the screws.

I have not taken a factory tour but I imagine that the floor or bottom of the body is assembled upside down while they install certain parts like tanks, plumbing, and in this case, some of the propane lines. As such there are no chassis parts in the way to prevent installing the screws. They just pick a handy way to get the line forward without regard to what else might be impacted. Based on various pictures, the thor recall, etc. there appears to be no standard routing for the hose.

Back to my problem, I have a trip later in the week and will need propane, so I took bandaid procedures to fix/repair it. I cut a 1x2" section from an old license plate, de-burred it, shaped like the hose and zip tied it into place to act as a sort of shield to protect the line from the spring end. I then wrapped with some black strips of gorilla tape which will help hold it in place and also act as the "witness mark" when the spring hits it. Hopefully the "fix" will provide the necessary protection for the next 2 travel days. The repair only has to work for 11 days and those 2 travel days. Gas will be turned off during travels and the line inspected prior to using propane at each destination.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #47

THOR #4243
Chunker21. I'm going to remove the line and if I can find the parts I will cut the line install a male end and a female end, put the line back together and reinstall and route it correctly.
The JB Weld should work for a band aid for you.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #48

THOR #22586
Quote:
Chunker21. I'm going to remove the line and if I can find the parts I will cut the line install a male end and a female end, put the line back together and reinstall and route it correctly.
The JB Weld should work for a band aid for you.
I thought about that but my metal shield hopefully will last as long as I need it. JB Weld in my damaged area would just be chipped off. I was thinking in your damage that since the factory offending screw is no longer a factor, temporarily patching the hole would work. Not a permanent patch just temporary. On mine to make a jumper section and "splice it" would be real difficult since getting the existing line loose with the clamps being blocked by chassis and suspension parts. My servicing dealer is a CW and most of us know the level of competence at a CW. I'd be curious how they would accomplish the task. Guarantee I wouldn't watch, would be too painful, but I would have a creeper on hand to see what was done.

Not happening and will explain more later.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #49

THOR #4243
Fixed the propane line and re-routed all of them, most of them were routed so poorly that a sharp edge was going to cut them eventually and they had some of them twisted really bad that they would curl and almost kink themselves closed.
And on a side note. Check your rear fuel filler, the metal tube is laying on a piece of angle steel and will wear through, mine has a pretty good scar in it already after 13k miles.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #50

THOR #22586
Quote:
Fixed the propane line and re-routed all of them, most of them were routed so poorly that a sharp edge was going to cut them eventually and they had some of them twisted really bad that they would curl and almost kink themselves closed.
And on a side note. Check your rear fuel filler, the metal tube is laying on a piece of angle steel and will wear through, mine has a pretty good scar in it already after 13k miles.
Will the crap never end?

What kind of routing was the line in your coach? Seems there's a variety of routing they did. Apparently no firm routing instructions. Was the line damaged and if so how much. Besides the screw hole that is.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-15-2021, 03:59 AM   #51

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Will the crap never end?

What kind of routing was the line in your coach? Seems there's a variety of routing they did. Apparently no firm routing instructions. Was the line damaged and if so how much. Besides the screw hole that is.
The main line from the propane tank leads straight to the drivers side where it goes into a manifold, from the manifold one line goes to the heater, one line goes back to the drivers side to the gas grill connection and the last line goes straight to the front, the same one that you and others have running through the leaf springs, that line leads straight to another manifold mounted right by the front fuel fill, 2 lines come off it, one goes to the gas stove top and the other to the tankless water heater.
I found no other significant damage other than some small scaring from the hoses rubbing on sharp edges and of course the hole where they sunk a screw through the hose.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:01 AM   #52

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Will the crap never end?

And will the crap ever end? I would like to think that I am reaching the end of it, but I am sure there are more surprises waiting for me to find.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #53

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Can't wait to see Thor's response
Its a very noticeable depression when I feel it.
There is like "0" clearance between the line and spring corner.
I'm thinking about getting some roof flashing to wrap around the line until a repair is done
Wrap the hell out of it with duct tape. It’ll have some give to it. And once again, instead of letting it sit for weeks on a dealers lot, I’d fix it myself and email Thor pics of before and after including receipts for parts. Otherwise you’re trusting some yahoo at dealer to fix it.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #54

THOR #4243
I received a response from Thor today on the screw through my propane line.
They are very sorry for the inconvenience and happy that I caught it before some catastrophic happened and are going to send it on to another team to review their assembly practices, and to let them know if there is anything else they can do for me.

Nothing about paying for the repair or reimbursing me for the repair just have a nice day.
I did respond that yes there is something else you can do for me and that's pay me for my time and materials. Crickets.

Thor SUCKS, there is no other way to put it and no PC way to explain it.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #55

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24896
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA last night and just received a call back from them. LamokaDave is my hubby and I had attached the picture he shared here. I wrote of my concern over our unit not being included in the recall becuase it was manufactured prior to September 2020. He asked that I encourage everyone who has photo evidence of damage and owns a unit not currently included in the recall to please file a complaint at https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index. You'll need your VIN and contact info to file the complaint. Be sure to click the box that allows NTHSA to share your VIN with THOR.

This is a huge saftey issue and the wider net that gets cast, the better! It may help increase the pressure for greater accountability on Thor's part.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #56

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockHiker View Post
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA last night and just received a call back from them. LamokaDave is my hubby and I had attached the picture he shared here. I wrote of my concern over our unit not being included in the recall becuase it was manufactured prior to September 2020. He asked that I encourage everyone who has photo evidence of damage and owns a unit not currently included in the recall to please file a complaint at https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index. You'll need your VIN and contact info to file the complaint. Be sure to click the box that allows NTHSA to share your VIN with THOR.

This is a huge saftey issue and the wider net that gets cast, the better! It may help increase the pressure for greater accountability on Thor's part.
Thanks for sharing. I will fill it out today.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #57

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I will fill it out today.
Same here
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-16-2021, 01:48 AM   #58

THOR #4243
Reported the propane hose and the front cap.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #59

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
And will the crap ever end? I would like to think that I am reaching the end of it, but I am sure there are more surprises waiting for me to find.
Let me know when you start smelling grey tank inside the coach. Then we'll talk. I did a cursory look this morning but didn't look too hard. I'll be going under the rig tomorrow for a more thorough inspection.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #60

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Let me know when you start smelling grey tank inside the coach. Then we'll talk. I did a cursory look this morning but didn't look too hard. I'll be going under the rig tomorrow for a more thorough inspection.
Nooo I don't need anymore projects on the RV this year or next year.
But if I notice anything I will let you know.