Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 03:07 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Also the issue isn't too much slack it's where they routed it between the spring end and body framing. That is unless there is more than one issue with what they did. Since thor says it was inadvertent, that tells me they have no standard or instruction to follow, just put it up there any old way you want. In other words no schematic to follow or reference. That's the same as when I asked for an HDMI cable schematic and Thor CS said one did not exist.

Thor states in those instructions to adjust the hose so it doesn't rub, stating excess sagging hose is the culprit. Simplistic answer like we have heard and just isn't the truth. Mine and Lamokadave have the hose cut, not rubbed. Big difference.

I'm going to write Thor CS also and send my pictures to see what they say about mine.
I know this is a little off of our subject but I also received a recall letter and need to check my hose. But I also had an issue with HDMI cable routing and Thor had no idea how o help me. I wrote in another question how I found HDMI cables routed (without wire ties) under my Magnitude and back up through the kitchen flooring. A $4 adapter from Wal-Mart fixed a problem where they connected 2 cables under the sink area. It was a bear to get at with bad shoulders but once I replaced the adapter my main TV could use the switcher.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:18 AM   #62

State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Quote:
I did send a message to Thor CS last night with the pictures and my VIN. Got a reply already that my VIN is not covered by the recall but to take it to an authorized dealer/service center and they gave me a case number for reference. Thor's recall is not all inclusive to the problem. Thor has a bigger problem than they wish to admit at this point and I suspect there are a whole lot more coaches out there with improperly routed propane lines and resulting damaged lines.

After my trip completes just before Christmas I'll get this into the dealer to start the process. I hope thor enlarges the recall to include all omni and magnitudes. Doubt it though. I will inspect the line after each travel day to make sure the cut hasn't gone too deep and unsafe.
I panicked because I got a recall letter from Thor and decided to Googler "Thor recall propane hose". Uhh why did I do that. Apparently there is a history of Thor previously recalling thousands of other RV models due to propane hose routing issues. Why is it still happening in 2021?
Old 01-01-2022, 07:30 AM   #63

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezrvz View Post
I panicked because I got a recall letter from Thor and decided to Googler "Thor recall propane hose". Uhh why did I do that. Apparently there is a history of Thor previously recalling thousands of other RV models due to propane hose routing issues. Why is it still happening in 2021?
Why? Because Thor has no quality control and their employees who assemble the RV's have no skill or pride in their work.
You and others are lucky that Thor is going to fix the issue, while checking the routing on mine I found where they shot a screw through the floor and through the hose, I emailed Thor about it and their response was, I am outside my normal 1 year warranty and they're not going to pay for it. Pretty shitty response from a pretty shitty company.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #64

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Why? Because Thor has no quality control and their employees who assemble the RV's have no skill or pride in their work.

You and others are lucky that Thor is going to fix the issue, while checking the routing on mine I found where they shot a screw through the floor and through the hose, I emailed Thor about it and their response was, I am outside my normal 1 year warranty and they're not going to pay for it. Pretty shitty response from a pretty shitty company.

Not to be antagonistic or anything but why would you expect any company to repair a product after the warranty has expired? Covered manufacturing defects for one year means one year.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #65

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not to be antagonistic or anything but why would you expect any company to repair a product after the warranty has expired? Covered manufacturing defects for one year means one year.
Because a good company worth a DAMM that stands behind their product would fix something like this, because you know running a screw through the propane line is extremely dangerous and could kill or injure someone. But Thor sucks and I expected no less than a too bad from them.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #66

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Quote:
In the same spirit of nonantagonism...
How about because this defect was due to gross negligence that put lives and property in grave danger.

How about that this was not something that failed over time but was a fatal error the instant it was created

How about because a claim based on gross negligence during time of assembly
would have potentially cost them millions if the worst happened.

Why do automakers fix dangerous situations or reimberse owners many years past a warranty even when not required to. Liability and risk of tremendous lose is huge?

There is also the concepts of social responsibility and Goodwill.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:59 PM   #67

THOR #6826
We’ll, goodwill, maybe. But mostly companies mean what they say in their warranties (I.e. one year means one year for repair of manufacturing defects). Wishing for more mostly just is a recipe for frustration and anger.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #68

Model: RB34
State: New Mexico
THOR #21936
Checking in with a Magnitude RB34. My rig does not have this issue. It was routed near the spring, but the clips hold it out of the way.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:12 AM   #69

Model: RB34
State: New Mexico
THOR #21936
Checking in round 2: Even though my VIN wasn't on the list when I checked earlier and I didn't notice an issue, I just got a piece of mail notifying me that my RB34 is recalled for this issue.

I'll go back under and take a closer look this weekend.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:54 AM   #70
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
We checked the database this morning and are not listed. Our build date was 8/2020.
Took a pic from rear of drivers side rear wheel well with camera above the propane line and "helper spring" looking down.
9500 miles. In the process of sending a note and this pic to Thor.
I don't know if anyone has suggested to you to contact the NTSB with the description and picture of your gas line along with your VIN. THOR may need to recall all for inspection and fix.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:57 AM   #71
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
We’ll, goodwill, maybe. But mostly companies mean what they say in their warranties (I.e. one year means one year for repair of manufacturing defects). Wishing for more mostly just is a recipe for frustration and anger.
Not for safety issues. That is why the NTSB must be contacted and issues reported. They issue safety recalls and fixes. There are no time limits on safety recalls.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:01 AM   #72
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Did you take a picture of it and contact the NTSB? That is the only way a manufacture will be ordered to have 100% of rigs inspected and repaired at their expense. It takes time, but you will and can be reimbursed for the fix. Also post on Utube. Owners of the same unit need to see and check for themselves. Tell the to, if they find the same problem, to contact the NTSB and report it. If yo do, THOR may fix it and ask you to remove the post. At least yours will be fixed. Did you contact THOR and tell them you are going to report the safety problem to the NTSB? Some have had successful responses from the manufactures when doing so.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:13 AM   #73
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
When RV manufactures are located close together and one offers ten cents per hour more new employees are then needed to fill positions. Thus the assembly problems continue. I worked for Data General a small main frame company in MA back in 1978. Digital Equipment five miles away offered ten cents an hour more. People with ten yeas in jumped ship for the ten cents with loss of three weeks vacation just earned. Low wages and trying to feed a family are the reasons. So constant turnover is a big reason for crappy workmanship. It is not that they do not care. It is that they are told to get the job done in "X" amount of time. That is all that counts. Yes it is a cost of production issue. The manager is responsible to get X units out per week no matter what or his job is on the line. QC, well if there is time. Each manufacture is competing against one another for product and final sales cost. Labor factors in a lot to this. X units must be produced each week.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:49 AM   #74

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Did you take a picture of it and contact the NTSB? That is the only way a manufacture will be ordered to have 100% of rigs inspected and repaired at their expense. It takes time, but you will and can be reimbursed for the fix. Also post on Utube. Owners of the same unit need to see and check for themselves. Tell the to, if they find the same problem, to contact the NTSB and report it. If yo do, THOR may fix it and ask you to remove the post. At least yours will be fixed. Did you contact THOR and tell them you are going to report the safety problem to the NTSB? Some have had successful responses from the manufactures when doing so.
Yes, I reported what I found to the NTSB with pictures.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:59 PM   #75

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Saga Continues

Finally had our appt today to get the incorrectly routed and damaged propane line replaced .
We initiated the process and got preauthorized by Thor for this recall associated repair. We provided pics, model, VIN etc.
Dealer calls me less than 1hr after we drop the rig off to apologize that Thor sent the incorrect replacement. Thor sent copper tubing vs the correct rubber part.
We have a planned trip in a few weeks and need the propane system working. I asked the dealer if they could do a temporary patch and they apologetically explained that they couldn't due to the assumed liability.
I totally accept that reason.
The dealer is going to try to get the replacement in a couple of weeks and will slip us in as a priority.
I'm going to try to rube goldberg a temporary guard to prevent further damage and hope for the best.
So frustrating dealing with the manufacturer
Old 02-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #76

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Finally had our appt today to get the incorrectly routed and damaged propane line replaced .
We initiated the process and got preauthorized by Thor for this recall associated repair. We provided pics, model, VIN etc.
Dealer calls me less than 1hr after we drop the rig off to apologize that Thor sent the incorrect replacement. Thor sent copper tubing vs the correct rubber part.
We have a planned trip in a few weeks and need the propane system working. I asked the dealer if they could do a temporary patch and they apologetically explained that they couldn't due to the assumed liability.
I totally accept that reason.
The dealer is going to try to get the replacement in a couple of weeks and will slip us in as a priority.
I'm going to try to rube goldberg a temporary guard to prevent further damage and hope for the best.
So frustrating dealing with the manufacturer
O
This can’t be very expensive. Or hard to do. DIY? Or call a propane dealer. I’d Pay out of pocket.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #77

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
O
This can’t be very expensive. Or hard to do. DIY? Or call a propane dealer. I’d Pay out of pocket.
Actually it is. Best I can figure from the way mine was, the propane lines were installed on the "house framing" before the floor and body was put on As such the "P" clamps are pretty much inaccessible to remove the original damaged line and get another one in. Of course since there is no standardized way they run the lines, each vehicle can be different. On mine for whoever has to do it, the easiest is likely to abandon the existing line and cut it out as much as possible and route the new one differently. Though some here may say 5 minutes and $.50 worth of materials will fix it, ain't so.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #78

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Actually it is. Best I can figure from the way mine was, the propane lines were installed on the "house framing" before the floor and body was put on As such the "P" clamps are pretty much inaccessible to remove the original damaged line and get another one in. Of course since there is no standardized way they run the lines, each vehicle can be different. On mine for whoever has to do it, the easiest is likely to abandon the existing line and cut it out as much as possible and route the new one differently. Though some here may say 5 minutes and $.50 worth of materials will fix it, ain't so.
Well the last outfit that I’d ever let work on mine is some rookie at a dealership. Stop by my place. We’ll figure it out.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #79

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Well the last outfit that I’d ever let work on mine is some rookie at a dealership. Stop by my place. We’ll figure it out.

""Actually it is. Best I can figure from the way mine was, t""

The operative word on my reply, "WAS". It was traded for the Valencia and the receiving dealer knew of the issue so it's their issue not mine. I also handed them a box of slide corner trim pieces to replace the ones that fell off while driving.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #80

THOR #6826
Quote:

I don’t have a dog In this hunt and I’m certainly not trying to be inflammatory - I’m just curious. But why does the old line need to be cut out? Just run an entirely new line from black pipe or hose.