Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Omni/Magnitude propane line routing recall

Yesterday there was a posting on a recall, 1 of 3 mentioned, of a recall of a significant number of the omni and Magnitudes produced. I have not received anything myself and looked up the recall myself. Its NTSB recall number 21V-754 and Thor recall RC000242. Applicable to MY2021 and 2022 coaches. Number affected 774, percent affected, 100%. As stated yesterday a propane line was routed through the spring and may be damaged.

I was expecting to see the line leave the tank and going up the right side somehow be wrong. This is what I found on mine. The main propane line leaves the tank, goes to the left, driver's side, along a body sub frame member and then passes up between the body subframe and the back of the helper spring. The helper spring can rub/contact the propane hose and pinch the hose between that back of the spring and the body part. I can see evidence of mine doing that, rub marks and very slight contact.

My Omni is up on the jacks so the suspension is unsprung. Later I'll drop it to check clearances. I don't travel heavy and based on my scale ticket I'm a good 1000# under GVWR with 1/2 tank fresh water. More than that margin for my RAWR. The XG32 being the shorter and lighter SHOULD have less than an issue. Those with the longer ones and especially if you push the GVWR limits, I strongly urge you to check yours and if you must travel, turn the tank OFF and lighten the load.

This is beyond sloppy construction, it's extremely dangerous. Thor has known about this since June of 2021 and letters didn't start going out until late November.

Duckies suggestion to just reroute the line yourself is simplistic and won't work. This is apparently an 18' heavy line, clamped in many places, and best I can tell also routes through or in the main frame member forward of the axles.

I am taking the Omni Thursday on a "shopping trip" so I'll turn off the propane and check when I get where I'm going. I'm also going to a south FL trip next week and I'll travel light with the propane OFF. My creeper will be in the back of the truck to check things after each travel day. I suggest others do the same.

I'm going to take a picture of mine, then lower the jacks and take another picture and post back here later this morning.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

THOR #22586
Recall propane pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	3DB24156-B691-40C9-9E1A-AD5F589FB927.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	35105

Name:	B53C05DC-3799-43DD-BD3D-9A27CE1373E1.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	35106

Name:	4C9B0E59-847B-474B-875F-0054A522DE99.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	35107

Name:	7DA8588F-245A-4D8D-A5B1-943E25E8EB59.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	35108These are pic of mine. The last one is with the jacks retracted and suspension in normal compression. Compressed there is about 3/8" between the back of the spring and the propane line. I didn't measure it uncompressed but appeared over 1/2". Not a lot of clearance and you can see the marks on the propane line. I ran my finger on the line and can feel the abrasion. I won't call it a cut but well on it's way to that point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC820237-38B0-4A2B-9468-57328ACD4FB5.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	35109  
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Recall info

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V754-2944.PDF

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...0of%20a%20fire.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I swear, Thor just plain sucks when it comes to construction, QC, their employees and well just about everything from design beginning to the end.
Now I am going to have to look at mine, it's a 2020 but who knows with those tards if it's even routed correctly or not.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #5

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Description of Remedy Program : TMC will notify dealers how to properly re-route the LP hose as needed.
Reimbursement will be provided through the normal warranty claim
process.
How Remedy Component Differs
from Recalled Component :
Remedy component (LP hose) will be properly routed, eliminating the
routing thru the rear suspension leaf springs.
Identify How/When Recall Condition
was Corrected in Production :
Units were properly routed in production with p-clamp

I wouldn't trust the idiots at TMC to come up with a plan to properly re-route the hose, we're talking about the same company that thought it was OK to run it through the leaf springs to begin with. Knowing them they will Zip Tie the hose to the exhaust and call it good.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #6

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Description of Remedy Program : TMC will notify dealers how to properly re-route the LP hose as needed.
Reimbursement will be provided through the normal warranty claim
process.
How Remedy Component Differs
from Recalled Component :
Remedy component (LP hose) will be properly routed, eliminating the
routing thru the rear suspension leaf springs.
Identify How/When Recall Condition
was Corrected in Production :
Units were properly routed in production with p-clamp

I wouldn't trust the idiots at TMC to come up with a plan to properly re-route the hose, we're talking about the same company that thought it was OK to run it through the leaf springs to begin with. Knowing them they will Zip Tie the hose to the exhaust and call it good.
First, they are going to have to replace a significant number, maybe all the propane lines. I can't imagine NTSB buying off anything other than that. Mine is damaged, albeit small so far, but it's pinched between the spring and body framing as shown. Longer heavier models I suspect worse. Older worse. I have about 5500 miles. I haven't checked my build date or the VIN but nothing in the mail today. Mine's a 21 that was built sometime in late 20 I think. I'll check the tag in the door to see what it says. Regardless of that, mine is screwed up. From what I saw under mine, the whole line will have to be replaced. Think I'll go turn the propane off at the tank and check the tank security since it as reported here the attaching bolts fell out.

Friday looking at a Valencia 35MB
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They will
Pull the line away from that spring
Add a p clamp, and a self tapper to hold it away
Just about as it says in the recall.

It's pretty obvious from the picture where they'll spend the three minutes.
But
They will likely replace that line due to the wear on it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
They will
Pull the line away from that spring
Add a p clamp, and a self tapper to hold it away
Just about as it says in the recall.

It's pretty obvious from the picture where they'll spend the three minutes.
But
They will likely replace that line due to the wear on it.
Need to look at that picture again. The line goes from below the spring up between the spring end and the body frame part to above the spring. Then goes over to the chassis frame and appears to join some wiring bundles in the frame rail itself. There is no just repositioning of an undamaged line. Where it transitions from below to above is that small gap which unfortunately has the back side of the upper spring leaf there too.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-07-2021, 11:36 PM   #9

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Thanks for sharing Chunker!

Our 2021 Mag/SV34 was built in late July/early August 2020, just before the recall date range of Sept 1, 2020 - April 28, 2021 Phew, may have dodged one...

I also checked the Vin on the NHTSA website and the recall does not show for my Vin.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll be crawling under there in the next few days to double check.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:35 AM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Thanks for sharing Chunker!

Our 2021 Mag/SV34 was built in late July/early August 2020, just before the recall date range of Sept 1, 2020 - April 28, 2021 Phew, may have dodged one...

I also checked the Vin on the NHTSA website and the recall does not show for my Vin.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll be crawling under there in the next few days to double check.
I put my VIN in that site and said 0 unprepared recalls but a note said very new recalls may not have all VINs reported yet. BUT visual inspection says mine is built wrong. I also looked again at the recall from the nhtsa site I posted earlier and the sequence of VINs doesn't make sense to me.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #11

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
my 21 does not have the recall per the site and I cant check until I get it back. Would it make sense, if the hose seems ok, to put something over it to protect it? like a piece of angle iron or something.... whats it push back against? can really tell from the pics. Is that bar with the stamped numbers the end of the spring? So, when it compresses it flexes, pinching the hose between the what looks like the house frame and the spring? Thats straight up crazy.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
my 21 does not have the recall per the site and I cant check until I get it back. Would it make sense, if the hose seems ok, to put something over it to protect it? like a piece of angle iron or something.... whats it push back against? can really tell from the pics. Is that bar with the stamped numbers the end of the spring? So, when it compresses it flexes, pinching the hose between the what looks like the house frame and the spring? Thats straight up crazy.
Yes that bar with the stamped numbers is the top leaf of the spring, what I referenced as the "helper spring". Above and right of the spring end and propane line is a "L" or "Z" shaped rusty part and that's body or house framing lower structure. In the first picture you can see some shiny textured material, that's the lowest underlayment layer for the house part. The black part aft/left is that house part and the black curved piece forward/right is that top spring. On the 1st picture you can see the scuff and also visible on all the other pics, different angles. In the second picture you can see the edge of a hose clamp which screwed into the body framing member. The propane line/hose is rather stiff.

Access to the area for different angles is rather tight. Once they have the correct line, I suspect a 2-4 hour replacement and that's likely to require a lift. Forward that line will go to the stove but beyond going into that frame section I didn't trace it. Aft of the suspect area it's clamped to various body parts going to the right side and propane tank. I turned my tank valve off yesterday since I'm not planning to cook. Unfortunately with the Girard W/H I'll need propane to shower and wash dishes. Carrying my creeper for pre-use inspections.

EDCIT adding; the question about putting something over the line, there really isn't any room. Static there is 1/4-3/8" clearance and I'm not loaded fully. The hose gets pinched between the spring and body part. Rock and a hard place.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #13

THOR #20809
any chance there is enough slack in the line to clamp it down out of the way? Wouldnt take much....
Old 12-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
any chance there is enough slack in the line to clamp it down out of the way? Wouldnt take much....
Unfortunately no on 2 counts. That gap is essentially a box it goes in with solid on a 3 sides. It was clamped as I described so no movement. Taking that clamp out I still couldn't move it out of harm way. A physical relocation will be required so it doesn't go up that "rat hole". If there was as much as a foot extra it's possible it could be slid to clear that spring end but then it would kink going into the "hole". I'm not under it now and won't until later but that's a bandaid, if it would even reach, that causes other problems. Pinching. I'm curious how the line was routed supposedly before their reported start of problem. Maybe saving a foot or 2 of line was why they took a dangerous short cut route with the line.

I would urge every Omni/Magnitude owner to check theirs regardless of when it was built.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #15

THOR #20809
heres another probably bad idea, how about notching that corner of the spring? Taking even a 1/4in out of that corner might make all the difference...
Old 12-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
heres another probably bad idea, how about notching that corner of the spring? Taking even a 1/4in out of that corner might make all the difference...
That sounds like a thor solution. I got under when I got back home and put a strip of gorilla tape on the scored part of the line. Sort of a "witness mark" in case it does it more. 350 mile drive tomorrow and I emptied the fresh water tank and put back only 10g. IF there was another 1-2 feet of line you MIGHT be able to reposition it out of harms way, but there is no slack or spare line.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #17

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
We checked the database this morning and are not listed. Our build date was 8/2020.
Took a pic from rear of drivers side rear wheel well with camera above the propane line and "helper spring" looking down.
9500 miles. In the process of sending a note and this pic to Thor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20211208_propaneline.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	35135  
Old 12-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
We checked the database this morning and are not listed. Our build date was 8/2020.
Took a pic from rear of drivers side rear wheel well with camera above the propane line and "helper spring" looking down.
9500 miles. In the process of sending a note and this pic to Thor.
You definitely have a boo boo.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-09-2021, 12:31 AM   #19

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You definitely have a boo boo.
Can't wait to see Thor's response
Its a very noticeable depression when I feel it.
There is like "0" clearance between the line and spring corner.
I'm thinking about getting some roof flashing to wrap around the line until a repair is done
Old 12-09-2021, 01:04 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
WTF???

Why not just turn off the propane, disconnect the line, reroute it and secure it properly??

15 minutes in my world.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote