Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Omni/Magnitude Solar

I've decided on the Magnitude XG32 over my other considerations and now waiting on my Raptor to sell. Initially I'll only add 2 more 6v batteries but I am considering adding more solar capability right off the bat. I was told in TX by a service rep that the installed controller could handle up to 300w of panel. The local dealer is saying 200 and they want $1200 to add 1 more 100w panel. I'm ignorant of the intricacies of solar except more is better, generally, and you need sun. Well you need enough battery to store it also. My boon docking isn't extensive "way off the grid" type and I don't expect to be able to run the air conditioners. Maybe a burst of the microwave or coffee pot but keep the refer cold and have light to see.

The house batteries appear to be GC2 6v, didn't check the brand or AH so not sure how closely I need to match the AH of the other 2 to the installed 2. Looking on Amazon, 100w panels are around $100+- and I "assume" adding more panels to the installed setup is more or less plug-n-play. Adding more than the controller can candle gets more involved which I will eventually learn about, if I feel the need for more.

Question is what is really the maximum for the installed controller, and how difficult is it to find a truss/solid member to mount additional panels? Any additional comment to fill in my ignorance would be appreciated. Point to an article which is essentially a "solar for dummies" might help too.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #2

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: New Jersey
THOR #21905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
... the installed controller could handle up to 300w of panel. The local dealer is saying 200 and they want $1200 to add 1 more 100w panel....
I believe I read that the stock 10amp controller can go up to 190w.
The stock wiring can go up to 460/480 I believe.

Soo, I believe (I have not done it yet) I figured out that just adding a 30amp controller and a few additional panels can get you there...

A LOT OF OTHER FACTORS in this that would be specific to your unit, like length of wiring to the panels, controller, etc....

I am totally new to this myself, just trying to learn too... There are a few good sites on calculating wiring based on volts, watts, length, etc...

For structural members, you should be able to get the design plans from off the owners portal at thor motor coach site with your vin' number.

OHH.... take a look at this video... good info.
1999 Coachman TruckCamper 125
bandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandi View Post
I believe I read that the stock 10amp controller can go up to 190w.
The stock wiring can go up to 460/480 I believe.

Soo, I believe (I have not done it yet) I figured out that just adding a 30amp controller and a few additional panels can get you there...

A LOT OF OTHER FACTORS in this that would be specific to your unit, like length of wiring to the panels, controller, etc....

I am totally new to this myself, just trying to learn too... There are a few good sites on calculating wiring based on volts, watts, length, etc...

For structural members, you should be able to get the design plans from off the owners portal at thor motor coach site with your vin' number.

OHH.... take a look at this video... good info.
Watched the video and yes very helpful. At this point probably a waste of $1200 to add 1 more panel. I'm pretty handy and when I get informed, can do it better for a lot less.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 04-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

THOR #21905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Watched the video and yes very helpful. At this point probably a waste of $1200 to add 1 more panel. I'm pretty handy and when I get informed, can do it better for a lot less.
I have not taken delivery of my 22' RB34 yet, but I have been collecting information...

I originally jumped on the wagon right out of the gate to possibly do as I listed, upgrade the controller, add two more larger panels to the original, and add two more water batteries.. but the more I read up on it, I see there is a lot more to think of... and instead of piecemealing it, I need to plan more towards my end goal and what steps towards it I can take (as to not waste $$$ on something I will only change out down the road)...
Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
I have not taken delivery of my 22' RB34 yet, but I have been collecting information...

I originally jumped on the wagon right out of the gate to possibly do as I listed, upgrade the controller, add two more larger panels to the original, and add two more water batteries.. but the more I read up on it, I see there is a lot more to think of... and instead of piecemealing it, I need to plan more towards my end goal and what steps towards it I can take (as to not waste $$$ on something I will only change out down the road)...
Agree and I'll use it a couple time and see if 2 more 6v is appropriate. It's cheaper and more efficient to develop an intelligent plan and go from there.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 04-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have two 160W Flexible panels installed on my 2020 Magnitude SV34. The 10A Stock Controller works just fine with the 320W (theoretical yied... you will never get that much). The flexible panels are very light and easy to install without any drilling into the roof.

I also installed and additional two 6V Duracell Golf Cart batteries and a three way battery switch so I can run either bank, both banks or a complete disconnect. I also rewired the battery so it was cleaner compared to the stock wiring.

My setup works great and is perfect for my needs.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

THOR #21905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have two 160W Flexible panels installed on my 2020 Magnitude SV34. The 10A Stock Controller works just fine with the 320W (theoretical yied... you will never get that much). The flexible panels are very light and easy to install without any drilling into the roof.

I also installed and additional two 6V Duracell Golf Cart batteries and a three way battery switch so I can run either bank, both banks or a complete disconnect. I also rewired the battery so it was cleaner compared to the stock wiring.

My setup works great and is perfect for my needs.
Could you post pictures of the Bat' bank and what switch you utilized Judge?
Thank You
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Could you post pictures of the Bat' bank and what switch you utilized Judge?
Thank You
Here is the thread I created about adding two batteries to the Magnitude as well as a disconnect switch and cleaning up the wiring mess.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-21327.html
Old 04-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

THOR #21905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Here is the thread I created about adding two batteries to the Magnitude as well as a disconnect switch and cleaning up the wiring mess.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-21327.html
I shouldov' known that Judge.... Thank You