Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Our first trip in our new Quantum RS26

I've been posting on this Forum since we bought our new Quantum RS26 in March 2017. I contributed some to the quality control discussion at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...thor-8458.html and described what I did to the chassis to improve its handling at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rs26-7181.html. The most interesting problem I've had is hot air blasting into the cab from underneath the vehicle. You can read about my solution to the problem at http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rs26-7179.html.

However, this discussion is much more upbeat. We are three days into our first real trip. My wife and I, along with our 4 year old one-eyed cat and our 10 year old Beagle are two days into a week long trip. We just finished driving from Charlottesville, VA to Mexico, NY, a trip of over 500 miles, splitting the trip into two parts staying overnight at a KOA in Hershey, PA, just off of I-81. Mexico, NY is just off of I-81 so almost the entire trip was on that highway. For those of you not familiar with the road it can be one of the roughest in the USA. It has very heavy truck traffic and these 18-wheelers beat the crap out of the pavement. The quality of the repairs varies greatly State to State with it getting worse as you travel North.

I mention this only to help illustrate how well the RS26 rides on smooth roads and how uncomfortable it can be on rough. On those sections where repairs have not been done or done poorly the rear suspension really beats you up. Keep in mind the unit has Bilstein shocks all around along with Timbrin bump stops on all four corners as well. However, on anything approaching smooth pavement, the Quantum road like it was on air. The heavy duty Helwig sway bars and the rear track bar did their job very well. Cross winds and heavy trucks passing at speed never upset the handling.

All the systems on board the RV are functioning as advertised. Any problems we've had are user induced - we just need to learn how to use each feature better than we do. It's not rocket science but it's not Fire and Forget either. The AC is the only equipment that may not be functioning 100%. It cools and circulates but cools down to the desired temperature only after a long while.

The biggest surprise we got after pulling into our destination (Jellystone RV Park) was the pile of sawdust, metal shavings and bits of wiring we found on the bed. It had fallen from the overhead speaker vent while the unit was bouncing around on the rough sections of I-81. I took the speaker out, cleaned up the remaining sawdust and cleaned up the mess. Fingers crossed, that should be that.

We'll be here in Mexico for a few days then head back. I'll give you all an update after we get home.

Keith

Old 08-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #2

Model: EV030.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6208
I just came back from driving up and down Route 81. I found it to be one of the best roads on my trip from NC to Maine. The worst roads were: Route 78, 87, 84, 684 and 287 --- PA, NJ, NY, CT and of course 95 thru MA to Maine. Our under compartments separated again from the rig's side walls. Discovered they were only held there by three screws and some foam. Moulding inside the rig fell out three times until we gorilla glued and renailed. Will be taking the rig to a weld shop to have brackets attached to the frame to support the plastic under compartments. PS, all we carry in the under compartments are the sewer and water hose, six leveling pads, our weber Q grill and two chairs..... so NO it is not over loaded! Just another faulty, shoddy Thor design.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #3

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Returned from one week trip

My wife, me and our two travel companions returned home after 7 days away. Four days driving with a round trip mileage of just over 1000 miles. Traveling at a steady 60mph most of the time for a round trip average of 8.9mpg. Mileage went up to 9.4mpg for one day. The Quantum RS26 did very, very well. All systems worked as advertised with one possible exception. The AC was having trouble keeping up on one hot day. The rest of the week it operated perfectly. The E-450 Super Duty chassis with the Triton V10 pulls up the hills like a locomotive. Its sweet spot seems to be 2000-2300rpm in 6th for a speed of 57-62mph. I found myself just naturally settling into that speed on anything other than the steepest climbs. When it got steep, 2500rpm in 5th seemed about perfect. Rarely did it ever have to shift to 4th unless I was passing. The rough pavement we encountered on our return trip was avoided by taking US Route 11 which parallels I-81 most of its length. US 11 actually goes all the way to New Orleans. My wife and I are planning a trip along it in that direction sometime in the future. Generally, it was very well maintained, pretty smooth and went through some great landscapes and a few really cool towns like Homer, NY. All in all, I'm more than satisfied with the unit...as long as the dealer deals successfully with all the warranty issues still left to resolve. Fingers crossed.
Keith