Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Thor what were you thinking..

Or rather what were the techs thinking? As we continue to work our way through our newly purchased 2016 FW 35SK, we just get stumped every once in a while. Take a look at the pic. Water filter on top of the converter! Better yet, any ideas on how to change the filter without bathing the ohhh, bus bar, breakers, etc? I have an idea on how to solve it but will hold back. Should I call a safety on this one also? This is almost laughable but must have passed inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_152910.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	15780  

Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
The engineer who designed that was not a RVer.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
What?? you mean electic and water dont mix?

The next thing will be telling me is the brilliant idea of connecting the black tank with the fresh water tank is NOT a good Idea. LOL.

What about the Gas tank and grey tank?

Well its a good thing I can still use my perferated hose on the LP tank.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Or rather what were the techs thinking? As we continue to work our way through our newly purchased 2016 FW 35SK, we just get stumped every once in a while. Take a look at the pic. Water filter on top of the converter! Better yet, any ideas on how to change the filter without bathing the ohhh, bus bar, breakers, etc? I have an idea on how to solve it but will hold back. Should I call a safety on this one also? This is almost laughable but must have passed inspection.
Your first mistake was thinking Thor put a water filter in your RV. You sure the previous owner didn't do that installation?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The same way you change the oil filter on a Chevy Corvair. You use a 2 gallon zip lock plastic storage bag to enclose the filter, then unscrew it and the the bag housing and filter to the sink and dump it all in. Wipe the housing dry with a paper towel and install a new filter, then back to screw the housing into the mount.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:12 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm stumped...
Will this be an electrical problem when everything shorts our?
Or a water problem when everyrhing shorts out?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
I have a Four Winds 31W, 2017. The water filter is in the same place. Inches from the electrical panel. I plan on bypassing it to get the water away from the power.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #8

THOR #14346
This is as good as it gets. Shoddy work that I have to fix. Its all good.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #9

THOR #14346
Damn I love this place. So after all this stuff ummm... just average thoughts. I thought someone would have a good idea... lol
Old 02-20-2019, 04:32 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Damn I love this place. So after all this stuff ummm... just average thoughts. I thought someone would have a good idea... lol
Yup..just like Beau388 said, change it like on a Corvair ... gallon zip lock bag.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
My 24SR has it similar but even tighter. I took it out all together. Simple Home Depot parts. Filtering the incoming water. Never use that water for drinking anyway nor brushing my tooth.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The same way you change the oil filter on a Chevy Corvair. You use a 2 gallon zip lock plastic storage bag to enclose the filter, then unscrew it and the the bag housing and filter to the sink and dump it all in. Wipe the housing dry with a paper towel and install a new filter, then back to screw the housing into the mount.

I would use an air compressor first to blow out as much water as possible first. Then plastic drop clothe under it and finally use the gallon zip lock. And even though it goes without saying it I’m going to say it anyway - make sure to turn off all power first. And I wouldn’t put it back in. I would get some PEX and run a straight line to replace it. You can always get water hose fittings for the filter housing and connect it outside as a whole house filter.

P.S. I really miss my Corvair.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm not sure why the factories, any of them, feel as though they 'have' to provide a whole house water filter, when anyone who takes their RV out to the campground or rv park can easily attach their own, at the spigot, where a water drip or leak is narry' a problem.

Early on, I found that ours, mounted on the passenger side water tank bay, stuffed in between the water tank and the sidewall on the left, was not only very difficult to reach and change the filter, but also perplexed as to why they would waste all of the additional 20' of water lines to have it mounted on the complete OPPOSITE side from where it makes SENSE to mount it - in the WET BAY! So, I did it myself.

Later, I actually wondered WHY I even needed a whole house water filter that is mounted IN the wet bay, where it just requires even more connections that can possibly leak. If I'm going to have to hook up to spigot/pressurized water anyway, why not USE the whole house filter AT the spigot(?)... so, I removed the water filter canister system from the wet bay all together, and now just attach it DIRECTLY to the spigot, and the output to the RV connection. If it leaks, who cares.

When I leave, I remove the water canister from the spigot, unscrew and drain it... no more water sitting in the filter while traveling. The filter has ALREADY filtered any water into the water tank, so no worries there either.

Could I just do without a filter all together(?)... yes. I've never worried about campground or rv park water, or even water provided at a dump station. But that's just me. I guess since I have the filter, I'll use it. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #14

THOR #6903
Apparently quite a few different ways and locations the whole "coach" water filter is mounted. Tuscany is in the wet bay and filters all the water coming out of the tank. This is a perfect way to filter what has been stored and upon demand. Having a secondary filter or filters filling the tank is an excellent option as well. Location is exactly where it should be. It might just come down to available space when the designers are trying to locate a lot of equipment in a given foot print. don't forget to change out those filters no matter where they at maximum 6 months and optimum 90 day or seasonal intervals.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
...hmmmm....are you 'sure' it's filtering what's coming OUT of the water tank, and not what went IN to the tank? if so, how is it then filtering the water that you use directly from the rv park or campground?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
...snip...

Could I just do without a filter all together(?)... yes. I've never worried about campground or rv park water, or even water provided at a dump station. But that's just me. I guess since I have the filter, I'll use it. : )
Then there was that CG in So Texas with sand in the water line. A new pump and a lot of fun cleaning the tank. The filter is sooo much easier.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #17

THOR #6903
Quote:
...hmmmm....are you 'sure' it's filtering what's coming OUT of the water tank, and not what went IN to the tank? if so, how is it then filtering the water that you use directly from the rv park or campground?
Yes the plumbing is arranged so that water from the city goes through the filter and if using the pump it goes through the filter also. To fill the tank you have to use the gravity fill cap on the opposite side of the coach

City water injects between the pump and filter by the winterizing valves. Pump check keeps the water from back flowing through the pump into the tank

so when you use the pump it flows right through the filter

This is the way they should all be connected and if not then they are installed wrong
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #18

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
regardless what your thoughts are on the necessity of a filter, before or after, its in a bad place in some coaches. It's a bad design period. In mine you couldn't get a filter wrench on it and having any leverage to release it wasn't easy. Imagine being older and trying to do this common maintenance item? Bypass it and use an incoming filter. Save the aggravation.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
We have the same issue - filter is stuck between the water tank and wall - no way to get a wrench onto the unit. Not sure who added it there, but guess what - it lifts up and out of the bay with enough line to actually change the filter! PS Crusign, Check to see if yours pulls up and away from the electric connections - still stooopid place to have the filter! gallon bag does it!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:

It's mounted inbound of the pump so it catches the incoming city water also.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote