Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Yep...lots of options online but it's best to do it once and do it right. the propane gurus have everything you need.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #22

State: New Jersey
THOR #13774
Andy and joann

I have a 2018 31w. And yes it is regulated. You just have to connect you quick connect and use it. I don't use the 12 foot hose I only use a 6 footer because I have a blackstone 16 in flat top and a 2 burner gas grill that I use. Just make sure you turn off the quick connect when done in case you forget to turn off your grill. Also a 12 foot hose when you disconnect will have a lot of propane in it you will loose when you disconnect the grill.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I always shut the valve at the connection to the rig, and let the grill burn off what's left in the hose.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It actually operates on low pressure like all the rest. You can connect it the same way as any other grill, but remove the "included regulator" from the line on your Camp Chef if using with the quick disconnect of the camper. Remove and carry the hose to any bulk propane retailer and they can make you a hose with the quick disconnects. I had 15' hose made for my Napoleon 285 so I can get it away from the camper and use it in different spots.
Okay guys; I read through this entire thread while I was hurry up & waiting at cw today. I disn't think much of the issue at 1st bc I don't like to bbq w/propane. Then y'all mentioned camp stove & I was suddenly trackin (hot summers, cooking outside instead of broiling in my rig, yes!). So I ran out & searched and saw the lil door that I can't believe I've passed several timea a day for nearly 2 months w/not a whiff of curiosity (so much for my level of awareness!). Anyway, I have no idea what y'all are talkung about as far as regulators but I'd like the dummies version 4.0 from you experts on that lil hatch & how I can go about getting a camp stove to use with it during the summer (I don't know what I'd do w/out you guys!). Please let me know in braille (given my negative 50 level of tech skills that don't involve combat med, firearms, or pre computer motorcycles, lol!).... As always, thanks - Donna & Radar (the dog)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Okay guys; I read through this entire thread while I was hurry up & waiting at cw today. I disn't think much of the issue at 1st bc I don't like to bbq w/propane. Then y'all mentioned camp stove & I was suddenly trackin (hot summers, cooking outside instead of broiling in my rig, yes!). So I ran out & searched and saw the lil door that I can't believe I've passed several timea a day for nearly 2 months w/not a whiff of curiosity (so much for my level of awareness!). Anyway, I have no idea what y'all are talkung about as far as regulators but I'd like the dummies version 4.0 from you experts on that lil hatch & how I can go about getting a camp stove to use with it during the summer (I don't know what I'd do w/out you guys!). Please let me know in braille (given my negative 50 level of tech skills that don't involve combat med, firearms, or pre computer motorcycles, lol!).... As always, thanks - Donna & Radar (the dog)
What's behind the "little door"?

If it's a propane quick connect fitting you'll need a hose and a low pressure propane camp stove, one without a regulator.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #26

THOR #13770
I have no idea how to tell, or what is, a quick connect propane fitting, or what that means - same for low pressure(as opposed to what?) & without a regulator (or what that is & what it does) can you explain it louder & in s-l-o-w motion?🤯
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #27

THOR #11130
Post a picture of it.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
I have no idea how to tell, or what is, a quick connect propane fitting, or what that means - same for low pressure(as opposed to what?) & without a regulator (or what that is & what it does) can you explain it louder & in s-l-o-w motion?🤯
You were actually in a pretty good place for buying low-pressure propane stuff!
You'll need a quick disconnect hose for the hookup. Pick the length that will work best for your needs. (we chose a 12 footer: the Missus wants me as far away as possible! )
The hose will have a sliding collar at one end (to hook to the grille), and one of those quick disconnect fittings for the rig's end... (That'll look about like a baby bottle nipple)
After that: it's all about finding the right grille! You need to specifically ask for the "low-pressure" type. I posted a picture of the grille that I bought at the local Camper's World store, and there's a couple of other even better choices available.
EDIT: How to tell if a grille might be a low pressure unit...

Take a peek under it's skirts... If you can see the same sort of baby bottle nipple, and not a regulator:
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #29

THOR #11130
The biggest confusion here is that...there is no such thing as a "high pressure grill". There are however, low and high pressure regulators...depending on what type appliance you have. Most everything you will use around your RV (and house) will require a low pressure regulator. Whether the regulator is supplied at the RV tank itself...or near the end of the line at the appliance...only one regulator will be needed. If you're using the RV quick disconnect...that supply line has already been regulated by the regulator on the built in tank...so...removing the included regulator that came with your portable grill will be necessary, as you can't get enough pressure by reducing it twice. Here...you go to an LP bulk facility with your RV and grill and have hoses made, or you can search online and purchase/build the line yourself. A good resource link attached:

https://gashosesandregulators.com/pr...latorfacts.php
Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The biggest confusion here is that...there is no such thing as a "high pressure grill". There are however, low and high pressure regulators...depending on what type appliance you have. Most everything you will use around your RV (and house) will require a low pressure regulator. Whether the regulator is supplied at the RV tank itself...or near the end of the line at the appliance...only one regulator will be needed. If you're using the RV quick disconnect...that supply line has already been regulated by the regulator on the built in tank...so...removing the included regulator that came with your portable grill will be necessary, as you can't get enough pressure by reducing it twice. Here...you go to an LP bulk facility with your RV and grill and have hoses made, or you can search online and purchase/build the line yourself. A good resource link attached:

We all know the propane that comes out of the holes and gets lit is low pressure.

A "Low Pressure Grill" is one that requires a previously regulated low pressure source of propane such as from the MH propane distribution header and available quick connect fitting. A "Low Pressure Grill" does not have a regulator but has a flow control valve(s).

A "High Pressure Grill" is one that requires an unregulated high pressure source such as a 1 pound bottle, a 20 pound tank, or a tap off the MH tank before the regulator. A "High Pressure Grill" has its own regulator. Most portable grills you buy from big box stores are High Pressure Grills.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But with the proper tools, parts and skills: you can remove a regulator from a high-pressure grille, and make it work with your low--pressure source!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But with the proper tools, parts and skills: you can remove a regulator from a high-pressure grille, and make it work with your low--pressure source!
Correctamundo!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #33

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We all know the propane that comes out of the holes and gets lit is low pressure.

A "Low Pressure Grill" is one that requires a previously regulated low pressure source of propane such as from the MH propane distribution header and available quick connect fitting. A "Low Pressure Grill" does not have a regulator but has a flow control valve(s).

A "High Pressure Grill" is one that requires an unregulated high pressure source such as a 1 pound bottle, a 20 pound tank, or a tap off the MH tank before the regulator. A "High Pressure Grill" has its own regulator. Most portable grills you buy from big box stores are High Pressure Grills.

We'll wave to you as you fly over the campground...on fire.

"Most portable grills you buy from big box stores are High Pressure Grills."
....interesting statement...but they come with a built-in regulator...because they operate on low pressure....that makes sense...
Old 02-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Correctamundo!
I've been married for over 35 years: I don't get to hear that very often anymore...
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #35

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You were actually in a pretty good place for buying low-pressure propane stuff!
You'll need a quick disconnect hose for the hookup. Pick the length that will work best for your needs. (we chose a 12 footer: the Missus wants me as far away as possible! )
The hose will have a sliding collar at one end (to hook to the grille), and one of those quick disconnect fittings for the rig's end... (That'll look about like a baby bottle nipple)
After that: it's all about finding the right grille! You need to specifically ask for the "low-pressure" type. I posted a picture of the grille that I bought at the local Camper's World store, and there's a couple of other even better choices available.
EDIT: How to tell if a grille might be a low pressure unit...

Take a peek under it's skirts... If you can see the same sort of baby bottle nipple, and not a regulator:
Awesome, thx Bob! I can picture that, and I'll make sure to peak under the skirts!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #36

THOR #13770
Quote:

And the Gritz answers my remainin questions (for now, anyway), thx so muxh for the link!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #37

THOR #13770
Quote:

Thx for the clarification, 16ACE27! You guys all know that, but I didn't. I always ruck-camped. I didn't ever carry propane. Bbq's & cooking underground were my forte. I have so much to learn! This is a very different type of "camping".
Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to be able to give you a little bit of help!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #39

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Howdy! 2018 Thor Chateau 31W here. I noticed a little access door with a quick disconnect for a propane grill on the side of my rig, and I want to use a 12' extension hose (to get it out from under the awning), but I don't know if the gas coming out of there is already regulated or do I need to add a regulator to the hose before it gets to the grill. Using it with a 2-burner stainless grill similar to the one in the picture. I've removed the hose that came with it to install the long one, but not sure if I should leave the regulator attached or not.

Many thanks!!
I have a Thor 37rb 2018. My outlet is regulated. You need a grill without a regulator. A low pressure grill
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #40

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Or you can get a regular grill and remove the regulator. I have a Weber Q1200 and that's what I did.