Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Kay

State: Arizona
THOR #19580
Oven

We have a 2014 Four Winds. The top three burners light up but the oven will not turn on? Not sure if I hit something while cleaning[emoji51]. Anyone have any suggestions??

Old 09-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Does the pilot flame stay lit?
Old 09-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Have you lit the pilot flame?

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is there a pilot? My 2015 Challenger did not have a pilot in the oven and it had to be manually lit whenever used. We never used the oven in five years.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

THOR #16721
We occasionally burn some bread in ours and pretend it's toast.

So... what's the scoop on that pilot?
Old 09-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
We have a 2014 Four Winds. The top three burners light up but the oven will not turn on? Not sure if I hit something while cleaning[emoji51]. Anyone have any suggestions??
As the previous 4 response have asked/said: Pilot - think 60s technology.

Despite the fact you probably have a piezo igniter for the stove-top burners, the oven has a pilot light and thermocouple. You have to stand on your head, turn the oven control to PILOT, push the knob in, and use a barbeque lighter to light the pilot light while holding the knob in until the thermocouple senses the flame and will continue to supply gas to the pilot flame, and then allow gas to flow when you turn the oven knob to your desired temperature to allow the main flame to light from the pilot flame.

Seems they could have engineered a "light on demand" oven control by now - heck the water heater and furnace have them.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I look in my owners manual it says to turn the oven knob to the little flame and push in. Turn the electronic ignition that makes the spark for the burners, when the oven lights keep the knob pushed in for 30 seconds and then turn to temperature
Old 09-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
What 16ace27 said.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I look in my owners manual it says to turn the oven knob to the little flame and push in. Turn the electronic ignition that makes the spark for the burners, when the oven lights keep the knob pushed in for 30 seconds and then turn to temperature
What model oven do you have. It would be nice if my piezo worked in the oven but it is not built that way in my 2016 Thor with an Atwood Wedgewood Vision range/oven.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What model oven do you have. It would be nice if my piezo worked in the oven but it is not built that way in my 2016 Thor with an Atwood Wedgewood Vision range/oven.
Mine is a newer one, the wife has never used it
Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
DW uses our oven most every trip (she makes THE best biscuits and gravy…). I light ours with a fireplace lighter. Wish it has a sparker
Old 09-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Does the pilot flame stay lit?

We don’t even get a spark! The knob says to push and hold, then do you turn the spark knob or use a lighter?
Old 09-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #13
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Have you lit the pilot flame?

So do you have to manually light the oven pilot even though the stove top burners light with the spark knob?
Old 09-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #14
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Is there a pilot? My 2015 Challenger did not have a pilot in the oven and it had to be manually lit whenever used. We never used the oven in five years.

Wow! I’m wondering if that’s what we will need to do!!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #15
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
As the previous 4 response have asked/said: Pilot - think 60s technology.

Despite the fact you probably have a piezo igniter for the stove-top burners, the oven has a pilot light and thermocouple. You have to stand on your head, turn the oven control to PILOT, push the knob in, and use a barbeque lighter to light the pilot light while holding the knob in until the thermocouple senses the flame and will continue to supply gas to the pilot flame, and then allow gas to flow when you turn the oven knob to your desired temperature to allow the main flame to light from the pilot flame.

Seems they could have engineered a "light on demand" oven control by now - heck the water heater and furnace have them.

Yes! That’s what the knob says, turn to pilot and push/hold. And of course we forgot the owners manual🤷*♀️. So I guess we will try manually lighting it even though that scares me!!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

We tried that and nothing happens🤷*♀️🤷*♀️
Old 09-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:

Yes! Ours is a Wedgewood so I guess we need to manually light it! Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
Kay

THOR #19580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
DW uses our oven most every trip (she makes THE best biscuits and gravy…). I light ours with a fireplace lighter. Wish it has a sparker

Yes I wish it had a sparker like the stove top! Guess we will try to manually light it. Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #19

THOR #16721
Quote:
Yes I wish it had a sparker like the stove top! Guess we will try to manually light it. Thanks!!
There's an easy way to tell if you have a piezo igniter in your oven. WITHOUT pushing the oven gas/temp knob (like you would if lighting), look at where the gas tubing is in the back of the oven... the point where you would light it.

The igniter is usually a small white ceramic cylinder, about 1/2" - 3/4" long about the diameter of a #2 pencil. It will have a short wire sticking out the end.

IF you find one:
While watching that, turn your igniter knob several clicks. If you watch carefully, you should see a small blue spark coming from that little wire.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:03 AM   #20

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
I use wooden matches to light my oven

I have a 2015 28F Thor 4-Winds, use the oven every trip to the mountains for biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs & sausage, & then it's great to reheat the foods we pick up in town! My sons are in the site next & love to eat. My burners start with the "clicker" but oven is like someone said, "stick your head in, hold the knob down long enough that the pilot lite stays on steady". If you are lucky you find those super long wooden matches left over from Christmas... makes it much easier! The oven, 'frig & freezer working with propane makes camping without electric hook ups a whole new world. No more running into town for more ice for the coolers. Life is still great at 86! And, yes, I do drive this myself, as easy as driving my little Encore, and most of the time go alone except when I mention "mountains" and sons jump at the chance to join me.