Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Overhead Power Shade, Fell Down

While driving on the Horribly rough Denver Freeways, I started hearing a popping and creaking sound from the loft. I stopped and had a look and everything looked OK. I got back going and the noise continued for about 15 minutes then it stopped. After driving for a couple hours all was quiet, then on a pit stop, I went back and the whole power shade was laying on the mattress and hanging by a couple of cables. So the top was laying on the bed, and the lower part was still attached.

I noticed that this system is operated by a belt system and one of the belts was busted. The other one was intact but now really stretched tight.

I have a service appointment next week and hopefully they can fix it.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Just think how much easier things ould be; if our GPS units would let us pick the smoothest route!
Good luck with the repairs!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Maybe this was the "safety issue" dkoldman was concerned about in the Denver area: rough roads.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Maybe this was the "safety issue" dkoldman was concerned about in the Denver area: rough roads.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Man.... that just sucks. I'm sure they should be able to fix it. Thor told me that the entire assembly can be replaced when they had to replace the motor in mine when I was in Wakarusa for other work.

If I was designing the Super C's (and I have a long list of things I would do differently and better), I would ditch that window and shade. All if does is create another water intrustion possibility, adds more weight to the front cap, and provides another expensive failure point. That pros just do not outweigh the cons.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Judge,
I agree with you.
More windows: equals more problems.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #7

State: Ontario
THOR #21345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just think how much easier things ould be; if our GPS units would let us pick the smoothest route!
Awesome idea Bob ! We should create an app.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #8

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Several weeks ago, the Thor representative brought the Omni BH35 to my house so we could take it for a test drive. After a 15 minute cruise through my neighborhood, we returned to my house. During a walk through, I saw that the valance above the bed had fallen off and was on top of the bed. The wires underneath the valance were exposed. Is it safe to assume these types of issues need to be worked out with the usage of the RV?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
Awesome idea Bob ! We should create an app.
Sometimes: I scare myself...
Old 03-09-2021, 12:20 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Several weeks ago, the Thor representative brought the Omni BH35 to my house so we could take it for a test drive. After a 15 minute cruise through my neighborhood, we returned to my house. During a walk through, I saw that the valance above the bed had fallen off and was on top of the bed. The wires underneath the valance were exposed. Is it safe to assume these types of issues need to be worked out with the usage of the RV?
There will be from one or two to many issues uncovered during a thorough PDI. There will then be a few or several issues that occur after you put some miles on her. Most will be minor but some could be major.

I uncovered several things during the PDI when I bought my '20 Magnitude SV34. It did not deter my purchase. The dealer fixed the items but later i fixed many of them better myself.

I then had several warranty issues. I many cases I had Thor send me parts and I did a faster and better job on the repairs. I also had a couple major issues and took two trips to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa, IN. I am still fairly satrified with my purchase.... mainly because of Thor's Customer service and not their Quality Control or trusting any dealer to fix things right.

Bottom line is this..... you can spend $150K on a coach or you could spend $500K or more on a coach. The odds are much better than hitting the lottery you will have issues along the way. If you know that going into the purchase, it will make the process easier to deal with going foward.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #11

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
While driving on the Horribly rough Denver Freeways, I started hearing a popping and creaking sound from the loft. I stopped and had a look and everything looked OK. I got back going and the noise continued for about 15 minutes then it stopped. After driving for a couple hours all was quiet, then on a pit stop, I went back and the whole power shade was laying on the mattress and hanging by a couple of cables. So the top was laying on the bed, and the lower part was still attached.

I noticed that this system is operated by a belt system and one of the belts was busted. The other one was intact but now really stretched tight.

I have a service appointment next week and hopefully they can fix it.
I noticed on ours that the track was loose. They use very short screws and they screw into plastic. The screws elongated some holes so I replaced them with longer and bigger screws. Seems to have fixed it for now.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 AM   #12

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Thank you Judge and Thrust, certainly looking forward to the experience. Although, I can tinker a little mechanically, sounds like I need to sharpen my skills...
Old 03-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
...sounds like I need to sharpen my skills...

Old 03-16-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany 45lt
State: Colorado
THOR #21333
If GPS picked the smoothest route, I would never be able to leave my Denver area, or return!! Sorry, to have to agree that Denver and Colorado in general roads are horrible. The only place I can say is worse is the far west end of Oklahoma Panhandle highway 385. A trip to Texas a couple years ago, I thought the cabinets were going to come loose thru there. The following year I routed an extra hour drive to avoid it.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #15

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Update:
The XG-32 is in SLC for about 10 days. This is the first service since I took delivery in August. I have fixed a few problems myself. Having said that, General RV, called me multiple times trying to get me to come in and fix a couple of PDI things. They are totally on their service game. Anyway, I had about 8 things to fix and they carefully made list, ordered the shade that fell down, and then went over every item before I left the coach.

I did walk around and video the outside in case someone got careless. I must say, General RV is incredible. At least the one in SLC. I will let you know the final result. While in the service bay, most of their service was done on units not purchased there. They were very good to those folks as well. So far my experience with General RV has been awesome.