Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Part deux ?? of front cap separation

I'm going top apologize right off the bat for this thread but I'm a bit confused on the cap/cabover issues and what to look for. I started this to ask what to look for in the first things that someone would see. Where specifically do you see the very first indication? Pictures if available would be nice.

As you can see from my sig line I have the Omni XG32. It doesn't have the full wall slide so I wonder if the big slide contributes? I have had this since Memorial Day, 2700 miles so far, 1600 of them mine. 3 short trips involving setup and break down, 1 longer trip with 4 stops. I initially used the auto level but I don't like the violent leveling it does so I manually level in increments. All of my sites so far have started off fairly level so no radical movement of the coach to get finished level. With the exception of briefly raising a dually tire off the ground to put on the Crossfire system, I don't level with tires off the ground. IAW I'm trying to not stress the structure with my usage.

I don't see any evidence of cap screws separating, trim molding distortion, or such, but I want to know what to look for as, or if, it develops, not when it's badly separating.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I have the XG32 also, you will see the molding strip bulging out from the coach, you will also see dimples in the molding where the screws are backing out.
In this picture the molding has been pushed outward really far as the screw is about to fall out, if you zoom in you will see the screw, it's towards the top of the picture. I have this happening on both the driver and passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	33208  
Old 08-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I have the XG32 also, you will see the molding strip bulging out from the coach, you will also see dimples in the molding where the screws are backing out.
In this picture the molding has been pushed outward really far as the screw is about to fall out, if you zoom in you will see the screw, it's towards the top of the picture. I have this happening on both the driver and passenger side.
Thanks that's an area I'll keep watch for. A lot of reports talk about separation visible from the outside where the cap parts join to the cutaway cab, so any comments about those areas?

I keep thinking that Thor, having been told about the issues developing, changed some of their factory methods and this isn't a problem anymore. Then I wake up and realize I'm talking about Thor, proud manufacturer of entry level RVs, and reality sets in.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I think I posted this before..... but here is what to look for from my perspedctive..... and in this order in terms of the problem starting to manifest itself:

1. Any signs that a screw head is starting to push against the molding running up the driver and passenger side where the front cap is joined to the house box. This is likely the first thing that will start to happen.

2. Signs that the molding has begun to move such the sealing is broken and/ or the paint no longer aligns. If so, look for broken or missing screws. Once the screws starting pushing out enough and / or breaking off, the molding will start to lift and move.

3. While someone hits the AutoLevel button, watch the molding on both sides of the coach for movement or lifting.

4. After leveling look for any gaps and / or breaks in the sealiing for signs of movement where the cab-over meets the top of the cab corner at the driver and passenger side behind the doors. At this point the front cap is moving enough to cause gaps to form at its mounting points.

Here is a picture showing the trifecta of symptoms of the issue after leveling:

- Driver side molding movement
- Hole showing missing screw
- Gap where the bottom of the cab-over meets the top of the cab at the corner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 6.32.35 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	33209  
Old 08-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I think I posted this before..... but here is what to look for from my perspedctive..... and in this order in terms of the problem starting to manifest itself:

1. Any signs that a screw head is starting to push against the molding running up the driver and passenger side where the front cap is joined to the house box. This is likely the first thing that will start to happen.

2. Signs that the molding has begun to move such the sealing is broken and/ or the paint no longer aligns. If so, look for broken or missing screws. Once the screws starting pushing out enough and / or breaking off, the molding will start to lift and move.

3. While someone hits the AutoLevel button, watch the molding on both sides of the coach for movement or lifting.

4. After leveling look for any gaps and / or breaks in the sealiing for signs of movement where the cab-over meets the top of the cab corner at the driver and passenger side behind the doors. At this point the front cap is moving enough to cause gaps to form at its mounting points.

Here is a picture showing the trifecta of symptoms of the issue after leveling:

- Driver side molding movement
- Hole showing missing screw
- Gap where the bottom of the cab-over meets the top of the cab at the corner
Thanks based on your and other's comments I won't use the auto level feature. I'm going to take some pictures of how it is now for reference so that later I can compare if I think there has been some movement. If there are other areas to watch I'll get pictures of the "before" also and have for reference.

Meanwhile I suppose you check yours regularly hoping that the repair you had done actually fixes it. I know "hope" is a poor strategy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks based on your and other's comments I won't use the auto level feature. I'm going to take some pictures of how it is now for reference so that later I can compare if I think there has been some movement. If there are other areas to watch I'll get pictures of the "before" also and have for reference.

Meanwhile I suppose you check yours regularly hoping that the repair you had done actually fixes it. I know "hope" is a poor strategy.

I’m 2000 miles into a 5500 mile trip and I have been inspecting the front cap at every campground. The one I’m at now will be a good test. It was low in the drivers side…. Not low enough to lift the tires but low enough I placed a wood block under the driver side levelers.

I’ve been on 3 or 4 other trip this year so I have about a total of 4000 miles on total since the repair.

So far… so good. Once I get back in October, I’ll have a good idea whether this issue is behind me.

And yes…. hope is not a strategy but its the best I have to go with right now!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

THOR #22586
I inspected all the seams, trim, caulking, and everything looks good at this point. I took a bunch of pictures so if I suspect somethings different, I can refer to0 "before" and after. Best not to rely on memory for this. Plus if there is an issue obviously the first step will be the dealer to look, and having before and after can show a difference. Document, document and again.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Chunker21,
I first noticed that my front cap seemed to bounce more than normal. Thats when I removed the headliner and saw loose, missing screws.
Did the water test, turned on hose and sprayed the cap/cab joint, WATER everywhere.
From there, read all of Judges issues and began the complete check.
P/side trim, loose screws, broken ones, etc.
Drivers side same.
Went up and removed all dicor on top, yep screws missing, broken.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote