Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
The perfect RV with small garage

Over the last few years I have seen some awesome European RV's motorhome with large garages on the back. Most of them are too small for the US market (But with the current trend of B+ size RV's in USA - maybe not).

I Like to see one large enough for two or three Mtn bikes, Perhaps two kayak’s or one Harley in the back. They could sell accessories to hold down bikes/toys in the back with tie downs built into the floor.

Thor could just take a current RV (Likes Axis, Ace or Hurricane) use one of the smaller floor plans but the larger body and frame and have 4 or 5 foot section on the back with a side entrance ramp on left side and swing door on the right side. Perhaps they would have to move the axle back a few feet to accomondate a 1000# payload over the rear end.

The garage would be just 5 - 5.5 foot tall with some drop down storage above your head. Perhaps even a power lift for overhead storage (Like our power bunks).

For me I really dont need a full size garage (AKA Outlaw with a 10 - 12 foot bay) and I love a shortish RV (30 - 32 max) that would alow 25 - 27 foot interior space.

I hope some Thor product development employee reads this forum. If Thor just took 10% of the mods / ideas that I have read on this forum I would be a Thor fan for life. LOL.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Would love to park my new Prius prime in said garage. i can see 3 problems right off the bat.
1 with the width i'd have to get in/out though the sunroof or trunk.
2 im sure it would not be safe with 3500 pounds hanging off the rear behind the axle. (can you say wheelies )
3 the ass would hang out the back end keeping the ramp from cloasing all the way. thus not a full enclosed garage.

oh F me just re-read your post and you said for mtn. bikes or a Harley. that would be good for glamis (sand) pepole too. never mind about my Prius.

or you could get a smart car in there.... just like all the other RV are showing.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Diemaster: Just get a setup like this:

Hmm my Bolt is actually a little smaller than your Prius prime (Bolt is 164"L vs 183"L for the Prius--other two dimensions are within 4" of each other).

L&WR: Hmm I've often heard a long time member of these forums describe something very similar to that...now who could that be?? LOL

That is a market that I think is currently underserved at the moment: "small toyhaulers". With a small garage such as that you may be able to squeeze in one of the smaller golf carts as well, or an ATV--give the small garage the dimensions of a small pickup bed turned sideways and you could fit a ton of smallerish "toys" back there.

Just put something like this Keystone Outback mini-toyhauler trailer in the back of the RV--even with the fold-down bunks:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thor's Outlaw 29-J is just about 31 feet long, and I believe that it's garage is just 8 feet...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.....

L&WR: Hmm I've often heard a long time member of these forums describe something very similar to that...now who could that be?? LOL

That is a market that I think is currently underserved at the moment: "small toyhaulers". With a small garage such as that you may be able to squeeze in one of the smaller golf carts as well, or an ATV--give the small garage the dimensions of a small pickup bed turned sideways and you could fit a ton of smallerish "toys" back there.

....cut....
Yeah, that would be me — and still looking forward around this time of year to see if any of the major manufacturers introduces any real innovation to US market at major RV shows.

I agree 100% that US has no middle ground. Garages are usually huge like in toy haulers, or very small so you can fit one or two bikes if taken apart. Not much in middle. And if you find one, what are odds the rest of floorplan will be to your liking? Very slim, which is why we don’t see more of them.

A short garage with lowered floor and limited headroom (maybe +/- 5 ft) would still have plenty of room for beds over motorcycles, scooters, golf carts, and even one of these electric cars. They’re short enough to fit transversely, and getting out after loading would be very easy.

P.S. — I know how much you love electric cars. This modern electric Isetta is just under 8-ft long, and like on original you get out the front. In Europe it’s classified as a slow-moving vehicle so it doesn’t have to pass auto safety requirements (like 3-wheelers here). It’s smaller and much lighter than a Smart car, but may be a better option than a 2-wheel scooter or motorcycle to visit sites around campgrounds. I seriously doubt it will ever make it to US. I test drove an original BMW Isetta and it was a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EADA7ADA-C41B-410D-AD62-84DEBAA8D608.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	12219  
Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Brings back the "Yugo" memories. I remember when the Yugo came out. I looked at them and bet a salesperson I could rip the door off with just my hands. If I can, I get the car free...if I can't I'll pay sticker price....he would not bet!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Microlino would be the coolest golf cart in the Campground!
I saw them being advertised about three or four years ago...

https://www.micro-mobility.com/en/ex...icro/microlino

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534250817
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EADA7ADA-C41B-410D-AD62-84DEBAA8D608.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	12230  
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Brings back the "Yugo" memories. I remember when the Yugo came out. I looked at them and bet a salesperson I could rip the door off with just my hands. If I can, I get the car free...if I can't I'll pay sticker price....he would not bet!!!
Just remember: Don't take a Yugo across the Mackinac Bridge
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Yep, I think they should try at least one model here in the US.

Now my garage idea would NOT have a bed in it at all.

I want an A class (25 - 27 foot) with a slide out queen bed in the back already. And a sliding dinette or couch in front. And have two doors (Left and right) with one as a ramp.

Yeah large enough for a golf cart (perhaps cart without a roof?) or a 4 wheeler. But keep the weight limit to like 1000# or so. 4 foot wide max and 5.5 high (Maybe 6 or 7 foot with drop down storage overhead.

So over all would be like 31 - 32 foot in length.

I new Jamie Geek would chime in. LOL

I figured he would post some Euro RV's with this already done right. But I like that Keystone Trailer - I just dont want any bunks or beds in it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #10

THOR #11130
This lowered garage could easily be done by building off the end of the original frame of the chassis. Cut truck frame off just behind spring hangers and then drop frame down for lowered garage space. Build a raised bed in the rear over this area.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Yep, thats what I'm thinking too.

But I dont want a bed at all. But I guess you could have the bed as an option since your the 2nd (or 3rd) to mention it).

I didnt want any doors between the garage and inside of this class A at all. Its more of a lockable storage building to me. So therefore not suteable to sleep in (no windows?). Maybe a vent on the roof.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
This lowered garage could easily be done by building off the end of the original frame of the chassis. Cut truck frame off just behind spring hangers and then drop frame down for lowered garage space. Build a raised bed in the rear over this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road
Yep, thats what I'm thinking too.

But I dont want a bed at all. But I guess you could have the bed as an option since your the 2nd (or 3rd) to mention it).

I didnt want any doors between the garage and inside of this class A at all. Its more of a lockable storage building to me. So therefore not suteable to sleep in (no windows?). Maybe a vent on the roof.
I believe Gritz meant the bed on the inside would be above the garage area. Much like the Axis/Vegas' 24.1 beds just raised enough to go over the garage area. With no access from inside.

Basically do what Chance has been saying all along: Take a 24.1: move the generator out of the way, lower the floor of the "mega storage" compartment in the rear by lowering the frame and raise the top of the storage compartment so there is enough room there to stand up several bikes (eliminating the two drawers from the inside of the coach would also allow the storage area some width expansion as well).
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Exactly — very easy to do. The problem with Ford F-53 is that fuel tank extends too far back, which is why this idea would work better with a Super-C with fuel at front, or would require relocation of the F-53’s 80-gallon fuel tank (not as easy to accomplish). Anyway, a garage 6-feet long just behind leaf springs would keep rear overhang very reasonable, and garage center of gravity close enough to rear axle. Other than fuel tank, it’d be easy to design.

To the OP’s point, if the RV doesn’t have a low-profile bedroom over the compact garage, you might as well have a regular toy hauler. And there are plenty of those to choose from already. What the OP is suggesting would have even smaller market appeal in my opinion. Just a guess though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B7CC256A-E457-4E26-853F-F60E7D30A147.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	12231  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Super C would be perfect as there is nothing in that space rear of axle. I've though of adding a third fuel storage only tank there with separate pump and nozzle.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, I think they should try at least one model here in the US.

Now my garage idea would NOT have a bed in it at all.

I want an A class (25 - 27 foot) with a slide out queen bed in the back already. And a sliding dinette or couch in front. And have two doors (Left and right) with one as a ramp.

Yeah large enough for a golf cart (perhaps cart without a roof?) or a 4 wheeler. But keep the weight limit to like 1000# or so. 4 foot wide max and 5.5 high (Maybe 6 or 7 foot with drop down storage overhead.

So over all would be like 31 - 32 foot in length.

I new Jamie Geek would chime in. LOL

I figured he would post some Euro RV's with this already done right. But I like that Keystone Trailer - I just dont want any bunks or beds in it.
I've been looking at the Cricket, and the Kangacruz mini gold carts...
Leaning toward the Kanga; it's not quite as "mini"
10" longer, 5" wider, and 100 lbs heavier than the Cricket.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Designers at Thor and most North American manufacturers are not thinking 3-dimensionally.

There is plenty of vertical height to work with. Just look at double-decker buses as an example. The garage can be tall enough for smaller vehicles (even low-profile cars) and still have the equivalent of a second floor to add a bedroom so the motorhome doesn’t end up way too long, or like many toy haulers with no bedroom at all which is worse in my opinion.

The issue is that you can’t build a garage floor starting at 4-feet off the ground. Not only does it make it harder to load cars, motorcycles, etc. into garage, but it effectively ends up adding length to RV. Unfortunately, the F-53 is really a truck chassis designed for load floors around 4-ft off the pavement so they can back to a loading dock. For RV use there is no need whatsoever to keep compact garages so high. In my opinion if manufacturers don’t address this restriction correctly, they will continue to limit themselves to products like we have today. A garage middle ground is possible but RV and chassis manufacturers will have to be more creative; or else look at how European motorhomes are built and use their designs, just larger.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thor's Class A Outlaw (The 37 RB); does have an overhead bedroom...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534258423
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-thor-motor-coach-outlaw-37rb.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	12232  
Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thor's Class A Outlaw (The 37 RB); does have an overhead bedroom...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534258423

Sounds close to what he’s asking for, except 10-feet too long which is full length of garage. That picture shows how difficult it would be to keep total length to 30 feet or less. Even if that garage was cut to half its length, the MH would still be well beyond 30 feet long. I see no option but to stack vertically.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was sort of figuring about the same thing about it...
Let's say that you took a 32' foot-long "Box", and gave it a 6' garage in the back:
Your bedroom could be stacked over top of the garage. (Give it a little bit more headroom: robbing that from the garage space height...)
A bathroom at the base of the stairs, with kitchen in front of that.
Opposite all of that: Put the Dinette/Seating area on a slide (If that's your wish...)
A six foot garage space could easily hold one of these...
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534262374

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534262389
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aspire-SS-dimensions2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	12235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions RS-SS 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	12236  

Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Yeah your rigth the frame would be a problem. Plus maybe not enough demand for something this small.

I wonder if the E450 frame would work and they just step the frame down a foot or two in the back. Maybe NOT have a ramp at all but just a large storage compartment for two or 3 mtn bikes and some storage bins.

I dont need a large garage and I like the size of my Axis for the back roads I take sometimes to get to the trail heads.

I like my floor plan just fine (Axis 25.4 = 27 foot w/o latter) but if they gave me a queen on a slide that would free up about a foot (in length) in my bedroom and just add two or 3 more overall (30 foot total) for a large storage space.

Lets NOT call what I want a garage. It would be too small for most. I just want a "super mega" storage in the back with two large doors.

I like the Outlaws but just too big for what I need right now.