Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Power supply to fusion radio/GPS

Yesterday while having my Mercedes 3500 chassis Thor Synergy motorcoach into the Mercedes dealer for oil and filter service, I got the unit returned to me with no radio working. I mentioned this to the service technician at Mercedes, and she said that they didn’t touch anything electrically on the chassis, and that the power loss to the radio is a Thor/fusion installation/problem. Taking it back to La Mesa RV for service is out of the question, as they are out 2 1/2 to 3 months Wait time for a service, and by that time I won’t even be in this part of the country. Sort of makes me wonder why the hell I bought a extended warranty.

I hit the power button on the radio but got nothing. I have no power, as it appears, to the Fusion radio/GPS/camera system. I do have power to the heater controls just below it and I don’t find anything else that I’ve lost power to; only the Fusion radio/GPS/backup camera is not working. I still have power to my Mobile Eye lane correction system and that will tell me if I depart my lane but I have no camera on the Fusion unit when I turn left or turn right as I typically do when the Fusion radio/camera system is working. I have checked the location for the Mercedes installation radio system which is in the fuse panel underneath the driver seat fuse block F 55/2, fuse number 10. That fuse is good. The question is where would Thor have got the power from, to power this radio/GPS/camera system? There Hass to be a fuse added someplace that would have powered the system.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Go to any stereo install place.
$20 will get you handled.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Find and push the reset button It is normally recessed in a hole on the front.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #4

THOR #12461
Thanks 16ACE27; I'll go look it over for a "reset" button. Gbills
Old 01-27-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Don’t know about your rig, but mine is powered from the coach batteries via a inline fuse from the use,store relay.

And the the coach batteries have to be in use position for the radio to work.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 AM   #6

THOR #12461
Ended up pulling the Fusion radio/GPS out of the dash. Checked voltage into the plug at back of radio; 14.1-volt with engine running. Radio still won’t turn on. Called Fusion and their tech confirmed the correct location of the reset button on the front panel. Pushed the reset, and still got nothing. Fusion tech said the unit is dead, and out of warranty as far as Fusion was concerned. Finally got a call from LaMesa RV mobile tech and he agreed to replace the unit if I pay a $150 transportation fee for them to come to my location to install because the LaMesa receptionist indicated a service appt was 2.5 to 3 months away. Right after I spoke to the mobile tech service mgr, I get a call from LaMesa service Dept indicating they can get my coach into service in early March.

For the amount of money I paid for a ext warranty contract, finally, something goes right. They should have it done in time for our departure from AZ in mid-March. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #7

THOR #12461
Good news, and really bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebills View Post
Ended up pulling the Fusion radio/GPS out of the dash. Checked voltage into the plug at back of radio; 14.1-volt with engine running. Radio still won’t turn on. Called Fusion and their tech confirmed the correct location of the reset button on the front panel. Pushed the reset, and still got nothing. Fusion tech said the unit is dead, and out of warranty as far as Fusion was concerned. Finally got a call from LaMesa RV mobile tech and he agreed to replace the unit if I pay a $150 transportation fee for them to come to my location to install because the LaMesa receptionist indicated a service appt was 2.5 to 3 months away. Right after I spoke to the mobile tech service mgr, I get a call from LaMesa service Dept indicating they can get my coach into service in early March.

For the amount of money I paid for a ext warranty contract, finally, something goes right. They should have it done in time for our departure from AZ in mid-March. Thanks for the help.
I just received good news, and really bad news on my Fusion radio/backup camera/side and rear clearance monitor. La mesa RV in Mesa Arizona called the warranty service (American Guardian Warranty Services) and got them to step up to the plate and replacing my dead Fusion model RV-IN801 head unit. The bad news is they’re only stepping up to the plate for a portion of the cost. American guardian told La Mesa RV that they would pay up to $700 to replace the radio in my coach. LaMesa was told by their Fusion radio supplier that La Mesa‘s cost on my radio will be $1600. That means I’m pulling $900 out of my pocket to replace this radio. I wonder how much money I can get if I just cancel my warranty contract, which I originally paid over $5800 for. Wonder if the cancelled contract would be enough to pay for my radio. It’s hard for me to understand why they won’t replace the original equipment that was in the motorcoach when purchased new. This scenario sucks really bad. Has anyone else had to replace this model of radio before?
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

State: Maryland
THOR #15241
The dealer told me that radio is $2600
Old 01-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #9

THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno1300 View Post
The dealer told me that radio is $2600
OMG; my dealer may be telling me a truthism. When he told me the warranty service is only covering $700 for “the radio replacement”, he also stated his cost was $1600. Wonders never cease. I don’t have much choice though. It is either pay what they ask, or have a hole in my dash.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 PM   #10

Model: 2019 Synergy 24MB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16965
I'm having a electromagnetic interference problem with my Fusion radio - on my Thor Sprinter. e.g. I get intermittent buzzing sounds coming from the speakers. I also know that the Fusion must not have been wired correctly, as I can feel that I'm pushing against wires when I close the little cup holder closed just below the radio. I can also make the buzzing sound stop by pounding on the dash ..... must be a loose connection.

Can you share your experience with HOW you pulled your Fusion radio out of the dash? I'm considering attempting it.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
It must be a virus from China. I have the exact same problem with my Thor Hurricane. Just came up yesterday. BUT, before I put it away 3 weeks ago, I used the automatic external plug withdrawal system. That is to say, I backed the RV out of the driveway, without unplugging from electrical power to the house..... It was a $250.00 mistake. ALWAYS take time to walk around the coach before driving anyplace. As I backed out, I heard a noise. I stopped, got out and realized the automatic extraction system had worked - jerked the plug outta the side of the RV and outta the box - destroying both the home box and the RV Plugin receptacle and cable.

But, I fixed both (thanks Amazon), but the RV in storage for 3 weeks and when I took it out, I have the same problem you do. Just chance the 15amp fuse, but that didn't help. Wonder if there is an in-line fuse too. Must be. No power at all, it's got to be fuse related someplace. Don't you think? Probably a $1.50 repair we just gotta figure out where????