Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #21937
As far as filling up with gasoline, my gas cap and fridge are on opposite sides of the coach, so I've never concerned myself with that.

I leave my fridge on auto at all times. When driving, I typically have my inverter running off the solar battery bank and that powers the fridge. In my case -- and everyone is different -- propane is a failover; a safety net, if you will. It's always available but I almost never use it.

JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #22

State: Texas
THOR #20920
You can get a gas stop valve (Amazon $80) that will work or turn it off while driving. You maybe have an onboard generator too to use? The refrigerator will stay cold for 4-6 hours in the meantime. I’ve done my research, talked to the manufacturer and if you’re in an accident, you risk fire or explosion if propane is on without the valve. That’s the fact. The contrary opinions are just wrong.
The built in tank valve is only good for a tank leak, it’s overridden when a line is connected to it, thus the need for the additional valve or shutting of the propane while driving.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #23
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
All newer propane tanks that are ASME which should be all on RV's have an excess flow valve similar to the one on your barbecue grill.

Don't hurt to have two on the system

So unless you have an 80's vintage camper with original tanks you already have an excess flow valve, same for the 30, 40 pound tanks as well
Propane tanks will NOT shut off the propane 100% (maybe 40-50% if that)
Have you ever found that your BBQ grill has a low flame? well that's because you opened up the burner dial/s BEFORE you opened the LP tank. The out-rush of propane (partially) shut the tank off, but NOT fully.
To correct it you shut both off, Unscrew the connection to the tank to release the pressure, then reconnect it. Then you open the LP tank first, THEN the Burner/s. You will now have a full flame.
It is a widely held misconception that people believe it will shut off the gas 100% (NOT)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:38 PM   #24
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstringer View Post
You can get a gas stop valve (Amazon $80) that will work or turn it off while driving. You maybe have an onboard generator too to use? The refrigerator will stay cold for 4-6 hours in the meantime. I’ve done my research, talked to the manufacturer and if you’re in an accident, you risk fire or explosion if propane is on without the valve. That’s the fact. The contrary opinions are just wrong.
The built in tank valve is only good for a tank leak, it’s overridden when a line is connected to it, thus the need for the additional valve or shutting of the propane while driving.
That is just what the Gas Stop prevents. Any cut or break in the line will shut off 100% immediately. No explosion.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:00 PM   #25

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I added an 1000W inverter that is dedicated to the refrigerator and an outlet in the main salon to pwr the TV. i have a selector switch right over the pwr panel mounted on the bed side panels.

When i disconnect from SHORE AC, i switch to INVERTER pwr for refrig. No worries on fueling, going through tunnels, or leaving the propane on.

When i get to next RV site, and Shore connected. The switch is positioned to SHORE pwr. The picture shows position at the RV site below.

THOR 2021 ACE 30.4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-23_16-59-02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	36243  
Old 02-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #21613
Propane use

Our Norcold can use AC, DC, or propane in an automatic mode. When traveling it uses DC. As others have said, turn the fridge off when adding more propane.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:46 AM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I added an 1000W inverter that is dedicated to the refrigerator and an outlet in the main salon to pwr the TV. i have a selector switch right over the pwr panel mounted on the bed side panels.

When i disconnect from SHORE AC, i switch to INVERTER pwr for refrig. No worries on fueling, going through tunnels, or leaving the propane on.

When i get to next RV site, and Shore connected. The switch is positioned to SHORE pwr. The picture shows position at the RV site below.

THOR 2021 ACE 30.4

That’s cool. But it’s more effective to put a dedicated ATS on the circuit. It will automatically switch to shore/generator power when it’s available or the inverter when it’s not. You can still use propane if you want by selecting it at the fridge control. Nothing to think about or remember to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	36245  
Old 02-24-2022, 02:24 AM   #28

State: North Carolina
THOR #20901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Still getting familar with our "new" 2005 Chateau and I have a question for the gurus. My rig has a Norcold 611rt refregerator that runs on 120v or propane if I understand the manual. While driving

to and from campsites am I to understand I should turn off the propane? Seems a bit counter intuitive but thought I should ask. What's the scoop here folks?
The propane needs to be 'on' while driving to operate the refrigerator, particularly on long drives.

If you are low or out of propane, fill up before you leave the campground.

If the campground does not have propane, then you can run your onboard generator to operate the refrigerator while you drive to the propane supply store.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #29

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Folly View Post
Our Norcold can use AC, DC, or propane in an automatic mode. When traveling it uses DC. As others have said, turn the fridge off when adding more propane.
Nice, yours switches to DC. You must have a later model.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #30
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
Quote:
So turn off fridge when refueling vehicle and shut off propane when refilling. Sounds right to me. The biggest safety danger appears to be forgetting to turn the fridge back on after gas up and arriving at campsite to warm beer and melted ice cream not to mention very angry wife?
+1 from me as well

There is a couple of things being mixed in this thread ... turning off the fridge and turning off propane. Turning off propane in a gas station doesn't make much sense... unless you have a leak which means you should turn it off regardless of where you are. But turning off the fridge (and other propane appliances like the furnace or water heater) is recommended because otherwise you have an open flame in a place that may have combustible fumes.

At a gas station, it may not be your own fill up that causes a boom but someone else trying to fill up a portable can for example or there is a spill etc. So it really depends on the situation.

I normally don't bother turning off the fridge unless I am in a super busy and cramped gas station or I see someone nearby trying to mess with aux gas cans or filling up a boat or something non-standard (I know, I should turn off the fridge all the time but I don't bother with it, especially since I know I am also going to forget to turn it back on when we get underway )
Old 02-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Nice, yours switches to DC. You must have a later model.
Actually, he has a smaller model. 5.5 CuFt single door. Slightly larger than a large dorm fridge.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:15 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Still getting familar with our "new" 2005 Chateau and I have a question for the gurus. My rig has a Norcold 611rt refregerator that runs on 120v or propane if I understand the manual. While driving

to and from campsites am I to understand I should turn off the propane? Seems a bit counter intuitive but thought I should ask. What's the scoop here folks?
You do realize that most modern UPS delivery sare powered by compressed natural gas which is just as susceptible to explosion and fire as propane tanks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #33

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
curious does it go to propane when you drive or on the inverter Bob
Old 03-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
You do realize that most modern UPS delivery sare powered by compressed natural gas which is just as susceptible to explosion and fire as propane tanks.
Juuust Stoooop! Safety Sallys don't care about facts or real life situations. It's all about the "what ifs". And don't begin to mention how much more explosive gas vapors are than propane.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #35

THOR #6826
T isn’t just a safety thing. Propane costs more than using the battery.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #36

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
T isn’t just a safety thing. Propane costs more than using the battery.
That's the same argument EV proponents keep spouting!
What's used to charge those batteries? Gas, propane, or diesel to power truck or generator. Natural gas, coal or nuclear to power electric power plants.
Yea! Those also mention solar & wind, ask a Texan how those worked out last winter! Try those to charge a dead battery & see how long that takes.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:58 AM   #37

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
That's the same argument EV proponents keep spouting!

What's used to charge those batteries? Gas, propane, or diesel to power truck or generator. Natural gas, coal or nuclear to power electric power plants.

Yea! Those also mention solar & wind, ask a Texan how those worked out last winter! Try those to charge a dead battery & see how long that takes.

Nope. I’m not trying to save the universe money. I’m saving ME money. MY solar keeps MY batteries charged. Or I’m using campground electricity that I’ve already paid for. Or, technically I’m getting microscopically poorer gas mileage whilst driving because the alternator has to work harder but not using propane when I don’t need to and there’s no switching to remember or do its all fine with me. You can not like it if you want.