Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2023, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: California
THOR #30754
Putting gas in the RV a major PAIN?

I have a Chevy chassis 4500 express on a Quantum 26L. The fill line is rather horizontal to reach the 40 gal gas tank. Mind you this is in California with the EVR (vapor recovery) systems on the nozzles. In order to get gas in the tank the nozzle position has to be just right, and flow rate perfect, or else the gas pump continuously cuts off. Im going to try raising the RV rear wheel with a leveler to see if it helps, but am hoping someone out there has a better solution.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Fill or vent line too long and kinked?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:53 PM   #3

THOR #30754
The fill line is long, and I dont think the vent line is crimped. I will get under and have a look to make sure. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
The fuel tank breather filter canister may be clogged with dirt/dust. We have had Chevy trucks that had this occur. On ours it showed up when we tried to refuel just as you describe.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Did this just start doing this? The complete fuel filler assembly comes from GM temporarily attached to the chassis as it waits for whatever body gets installed. With most commercial work truck bodies this filler assembly gets mounted higher than the frame rails. Motorhomes, because the floor is mounted as low across the frame rails as possible, results in a nearly horizontal position or pinched a little causing poor and slow flow to the tank. In some cases the body installer will shorten these hoses between the filler assembly and tank. Other that should have but didn't can result in folded or crimped hoses. You didn't say if this is new to you or if the problem just started. Both scenarios stated here and above could be the issue based on this. You might can reroute the filler line through a hole in the frame if there is one there or shorten the hoses a bit. Can you see the hoses from the filler assembly all the way to the tank?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #6

THOR #30754
Thank you. Ill locate the canister and check it out.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:33 PM   #7

THOR #30754
I cannot see the hose into the tank yet, but will check again to see if I can. I believe it is the filler assembly. It is totally horizontal and this is a new coach which has had this problem from the start. Im taking it in for service next week and will have them check this out. Many thanks to all for the replys.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
For me it varies drastically. One pump will work great, while the next will only fill if held at a particular angle and flow is limited, and the next might be great again. Pilot/FJ seem to be the most consistently difficult, and Kwik-Fill (true to their name) and Exxon the best. Others, like Marathon, vary at random. No kinks in the line or vent tube, and like I said, it varies from pump to pump. This is in Ohio and surrounding states, not CA.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #9

THOR #30754
Thank you. My situation is exactly as you describe. Im going to have the fill assembly looked at next weekend. I will keep you posted on outcome.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:54 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Carry a 4 x 8 wood block with angle wedge cuts at each end..just drive up on the block [outside duel tire] and fuel..

Had to do this with my '87 ford diesel because of the fill hose being too level and not venting properly..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #11

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I have a Chevy chassis 4500 express on a Quantum 26L. The fill line is rather horizontal to reach the 40 gal gas tank. Mind you this is in California with the EVR (vapor recovery) systems on the nozzles. In order to get gas in the tank the nozzle position has to be just right, and flow rate perfect, or else the gas pump continuously cuts off. Im going to try raising the RV rear wheel with a leveler to see if it helps, but am hoping someone out there has a better solution.
You might find this post I made in March 2022 interesting:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...und-30143.html
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
You might find this post I made in March 2022 interesting:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...und-30143.html
That would seem more relevant if the problem was consistent, but it's not. One pump will be difficult, and the next works fine. (I've also looked, and no kinks.) IME, it IS consistent by pump though. I always fill after a trip so that it's full for the next trip. Of the three stations close to my house, one always works great, another I have to hold at an angle but it can go at full speed, and the third will only work if it goes slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Carry a 4 x 8 wood block with angle wedge cuts at each end..just drive up on the block [outside duel tire] and fuel..

Had to do this with my '87 ford diesel because of the fill hose being too level and not venting properly..
That's an interesting thought! The slope also varies a little from one station to another...
Old 09-09-2023, 06:36 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Fuel foams with phosphorus while pumping...this is what triggers the nozzle stops. The faster the pump, the more issues you will have with this poor design. It's something Thor should address. It could be a safety issue with spilling and its very common across a lot of models.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:38 AM   #14

THOR #30754
I tried elevating the rear wheel today about 8 and no difference. Im leaning towards the fill line assembly being the issue.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:18 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
In some cases the body installer will shorten these hoses between the filler assembly and tank. Other that should have but didn't can result in folded or crimped hoses.
This was the exact same issue in my brand new Vegas. Steel fill pipe running horizontally from rear fill cap to centrally located fuel tank was a bit too long and should have been cut by 2-4 inches during assembly, but the genius Thor line worker decided it's easier to just shove it forward, crushing the short rubber 90deg hose connecting it to the tank. Almost impossible to fill the tank, especially in California. I had a gas station attendant complain that I took so much time at the pump.

I fixed it myself, removed the fill cap assembly, pulled back the fill pipe to restore the shape of the 90deg rubber hose at the tank, shortened the connection between the pipe and the fill cap (luckily this allowed me not to cut the pipe itself, which was risky due to fuel fumes inside).
I also put some foam supports in a couple of places to improve the pipe's angle, to allow better flow.

Now I can fill the tank without sweating at the pump for 30 minutes.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:56 PM   #16

State: Alabama
THOR #14461
Frustrating

Same thing with me. Filter canister was clogged. The vent line had gunk in it as well. (Was under warranty and Chevy couldnt or wouldnt fix it, so hubby and I cleared out the vent). 🤦🏽*♀️. The vent line is close to being level, so even though it was better after we cleaned out the vent, it is starting to back up again.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:12 AM   #17

THOR #30690
Glad I am not the only one

I have this happen all the time in my Thor Class B. Not every station, but often enough. Newer pumps seem to work better for some reason. I can usually get enough gas into the tank to carry me to another station on the way.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:42 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 23U
State: Wyoming
THOR #9403
I have to hold the handle upside down to fill mine. 3500 chevy freedom elite.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:25 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-LSawyers View Post
I have to hold the handle upside down to fill mine. 3500 chevy freedom elite.

Id do some exploration. My 3500 Chevy Forester fills like normal. As it should. Id be vexedif I had to stand there and hold the nozzle for 40 or 50 gallons!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:12 AM   #20

THOR #30754
Found the problem!!

Who would have thought??? After months of trying various "solutions", I finally had the fuel fill line replaced and enlarged at the tank entry. During the replacement, it was noticed that the flow check valve was installed backwards!! Needless to say, I now have no issues filling up.