Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Question on location of water filter in 2016 Chateau 31L

According to the Thor web site a water filter at the kitchen sink is standard. I have been unable to find it. We were supplied with a filter wrench. I didn't know what it was for and asked and was told it was for a filter but the dealer did not know where the filter was located. We looked and cannot find it. I have continued to look but no luck. I expect that either the Thor web site is wrong or it was left off my unit or it is hidden behind some unknown panel. Anyone ideas?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Peek under your kitchen sink, there may be a false panel at the back that can be removed, (covering wiring and perhaps the filter).

Thor likes to place the water filter in the strangest of places. Mine is conveniently located underneath my bed, and under electrical wiring and furnace duct!

Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

THOR #2020
I have looked under the sink and don't find a false panel. It does look like there would be room to put a filter back there but can't find a way to get to that area. Is your bed close to the kitchen sink or is your filter for the entire unit? I have not looked under the bed yet. Maybe I need to remove the panel under the bed and take a look there. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #4

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I have looked under the sink and don't find a false panel. It does look like there would be room to put a filter back there but can't find a way to get to that area. Is your bed close to the kitchen sink or is your filter for the entire unit? I have not looked under the bed yet. Maybe I need to remove the panel under the bed and take a look there. Thanks for the input.
The filter is for the entire unit.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
Mine is next to the water heater behind a interior panel
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Peek under your kitchen sink, there may be a false panel at the back that can be removed, (covering wiring and perhaps the filter).

Thor likes to place the water filter in the strangest of places. Mine is conveniently located underneath my bed, and under electrical wiring and furnace duct!

You sure that is a filter? Looks like a pump to me! (that is where my pump is and my hurricane did not have a filter - till I placed one in!).
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
You sure that is a filter? Looks like a pump to me! (that is where my pump is and my hurricane did not have a filter - till I placed one in!).

Ahhhh!!

You sir, are correct! Not only is it a water pump. It's a very cheap pump at that. It's a WFCO Artis PDS1-130-12, Under $20 on Ebay!

Well, at least I have always used one of those blue Camco in-line filters on the hose!! At least there are no big chunks of debris in the system.

Next project... install a whole-house water filter.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

THOR #2020
I'm still going to look under the bed.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I have the same one Beacher. I moved it to the rear wall with a 3 foot flexible hose and it is soooo much more quiet! I was going to replace it but figured I would wait till it breaks! (cheap). So far so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump.jpeg
Views:	668
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	718

I also use an external inline filter - which I say are pretty good for the price. The inline filter I installed is outside attached to the rear of the water/sewer bin. easier to change than removing the bed boards.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

THOR #2020
I sent an email to Thor Customer Support asking where the filter is located. They sent a schematic of the water system (which is handy) but sure doesn't tell me where to find it. It does appear that it is close to the sink so I guess I will concentrate looking ni that area. (Although I still want to see what is under the bed and under the second dinette seat.)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #11

THOR #937
Quote:
I sent an email to Thor Customer Support asking where the filter is located. They sent a schematic of the water system (which is handy) but sure doesn't tell me where to find it. It does appear that it is close to the sink so I guess I will concentrate looking ni that area. (Although I still want to see what is under the bed and under the second dinette seat.)

I did the same thing. They sent me the handy schematic and it does show where it is. But, it's apparently NOT there.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Are you sure there is a filter or could they be referring to the strainer which is normally inline just before the pump inlet? From the above diagram I'll bet you are looking for the small plastic encased strainer.

The reason I ask is that I found over the years that if a coach includes a "whole house filter" the filter element is not installed by the manufacturer or dealer because it needs to be out during the winterization and sanitation processes.

It is also my experience across multiple coaches with whole hose filtration that the filters are the same type across manufactures and they are generally mounted outside in a storage compartment close to the water pump. The attached pic is the whole house filter that is installed on my Challenger.

Name:	Water Filter 1.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	722

You might try calling or emailing Thor and ask them for the part number of the filter element. Dong a Google search on the number may give you a picture or idea of what you are looking for.

It is possible you may be chasing a goose that is rogue rather than wild. Here are three pics of what I believe you should or may be looking for.

Strainer attached to inlet side of the pump (sorry forgot to rotate the pic 90 degrees clockwise)

Name:	WP and Strainer.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	723

Strainer side view shot

Name:	WP Strainer side view.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	724

Strainer top view

Name:	WP Strainer top view.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	725

Hope this helps. If not I apologize.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

THOR #2020
I took a look at the schematic on the computer instead of the iPhone and it definitely looks as if it is a whole house filter in the vicinity of the kitchen sink. Sure easier to see on a larger screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-08-27_13-42-13.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	726  
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I took a look at the schematic on the computer instead of the iPhone and it definitely looks as if it is a whole house filter in the vicinity of the kitchen sink. Sure easier to see on a larger screen.
I agree it looks like whole house and based on your diagram I would say it is the same type as my picture above. Did you get a filter wrench and element when you bought the coach? The wrench would be a plastic enclosed spanner. Again, based on experience the filter element and spanner wrench are normally placed in the location of the filter when the coach is delivered.

If you bought the coach new and there is no filter element (approx. 8 - 10 inches long and 2 to 3 inches in diameter) or spanner wrench my guess is they didn't install the filter.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

THOR #2020
I did buy it new. There was a spanner wrench. It was in a drawer in the kitchen. I asked what it was for and was told it was for a filter but the dealer could not find it. I think the person that would have known was out that day. I've been hunting for it off and on for three weeks now. I'll be back in the unit this weekend and this is a priority this weekend. (Also want to get the satellite working.)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
It looks like the filter should be mounted on the cabinet between the sink and stove. Have you pulled out the drawer below the stove and look along the wall?

You may also want to take a close look in the compartments outside just below the kitchen. On my class c the filter was behind a hinged panel in an outside compartment. That compartment also housed the water pump, strainer and low point drain. It was also the only area outside that was heated by the furnace for winter operation.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
It's only filtered at kitchen sink. It's part of Premiere package that is standard on the three 32' models
Old 08-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #18

THOR #2020
I found it this weekend. It is very well hidden and almost impossible to get to. I'll post more when I have a better connection and can post picture.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'll look forward to seeing where yours is.
I don't believe I have a filter on my 31L
I don't have the premier package, so perhaps that's why.

I do have the strainer that dstankov wrote about though.... after several trips, my strainer developed a leak. It seems taht the cap was over tightened just a bit form the factory, cracking it. I guess time, or waterhammer, or bad luck just took a while for it to fail and pump water all under the cabinet..... no big deal though..... it dried out ok and Thor's customer svc sent a new one..
Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #20

THOR #2020
Finally got the pictures off the camera. #1 points to the filter. It is on the backside of the wall of the kitchen cabinet. As you can see, I had to pull the kitchen drawers out to see it. Arrow 2 points to the heat ducts that are under the drawers. Immediately above that was a wood panel that I removed in an effort to see if I could get the wrench on the filter. It was stapled in place. Arrow 3 points to the staple holes. I am going to replace it with screws. Arrow 4 points to the dividing wall between this cabinet and the space under the kitchen sink. I could not get a wrench on the filter. The filter body extends below the heat ducts. I tried to pass the wrench under the heat ducts and bring it up onto the filter body. Not enough room under the heat ducts. Cannot bring it down on the right side of the heat ducts because the wrench in too long. The only way I can see to get the wrench on is to cut out the section (arrow 4) and then replace it with a matching piece of wood that is screwed into place. I thought about disconnecting the heat ducts so that I could get the wrench onto the filter body but they fit extremely tight on the plastic vent and I am concerned that I would end up damaging them beyond repair trying to get them off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	806